• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (5 Viewers)

brookie94

HSC
Oh god, don't take the Maccas job!
My friends work at maccas and they get 2 shifts a week and they are yucky close shifts (tones of cleaning and stuff). Get an average $70 a week.

I work at Safeway and get the highest retail pay in Australia for people my age, most shifts out of all my friends, and pretty fun work environment (better then maccas).
I've been working for 1 month and 1 week, and I have got just under $1000 - I showed my friends that and they nearly fell of their chair. That is a LOT of money for a 15 year old.

BTW - I am paid to bludge. We have hardly NO customers when we go to the after hours doors, hahahhaha. Does get boring though.

Thanks
Thank :) do you enjoy it though? And I somehow don't think I will be bludging our store never stop haha

brookie94

HSC
you are worrying me, you are all saying yeh its ok i guess but it gets boring so :S idk

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Re: Upgrade, is anyone else finding the new O.M. really annoying? it just seems unnecessary for the $10/$5 notes, and even if needed it should be after the notes in the menu, not after coins.
I kept stuffing up the spot checks when i started today, had to be careful.
Please explain. What does O.M. mean?

Hey if I'm going to be a full time supervisor as of January, should I order one of the 'Store and Service Management' shirts? I wish they would say, on the website, who should be wearing what.

lacho95

HSC
Can you guys just tell me straight up, is woolies good to work at/for?
I need answers because if I take it I will be rejecting maccas and it seems fun lol I know it's only maccas but I don't wanna turn down a fun job for a crap one that I will hate
anwers? Your thought?
ive worked at both. woolies is alright, but maccas is better. you get to know your managers and most of them are legends. at woolies, you dont get to many chances to talk to your supervisors/managers unless your in smkeshop or express... seriously, go maccas. the only reason i moved from maccas to woolies wsas becaus i was ashamed to work at maccas and a few of my friends worked at woolies.
But, in the end, i guess i dontreally regret the move. My CSM is pretty awesome and so are the ppl... Fresh food or Greasy burgers?? Its your call...

lacho95

HSC
And, and btw, YES I REALISE MY ENTIRE ABOVE POST CONTRADICTS ITSELF. Im an idiot.

Otacon2009

HSC
I haven't seen much of WoWTV lately because regardless of the time of day, it's always on the standby cube. Also, reception has been consistently poor, even when it's perfectly clear outside. I was going to point out to my store manager that the reason why people tune into the local stations is because well...WoWTV can't be picked up and if it can, nothing is broadcasted. But I refrained knowing he can't handle losing that well.

HSC
lol he did say it a few days (weeks?) ago.
I've used it a few times already, it was an absolute lifesaver, especially when really busy.

Re: Upgrade, is anyone else finding the new O.M. really annoying? it just seems unnecessary for the $10/$5 notes, and even if needed it should be after the notes in the menu, not after coins.
I kept stuffing up the spot checks when i started today, had to be careful.
I wasn't needing it then ;) But I'll remember it now. And I don't find the OM's an issue, because I don't use that part of the spot check menu. I add the number of coins in a bag onto how many loose ones - ie 25 $2 in a bag + 12 loose = 37. And if your maths is not so good, you can just type in 25, enter, then 12, enter.

Please explain. What does O.M. mean?
Order Multiple - basically the same as the old "roll"

Thanks :) so do you like it for the most part? What are the pros and cons
Well I've been there over three years, so there must be something I like haha. I guess the biggest thing for me has been the flexibility. I'm at a point now where I can set my availability to get exactly what shifts I want, its fantastic.

I love the people I work with. There's a few of us who all started together, most of us are now supervisors, one is now an office cashier. Where lacho95 said that you don't really get to know your supervisors or managers isn't really true in my case. I try really hard to make newbies feel a part of the group, even when it comes down to when they're sat in the lunchroom. It can be a bit different with managers, just because there's possibly an age difference that may not (or it could, idk) exist so much at Maccas. In saying that though, my CSM is 23. My last CSM was 19 when he started in the role. Our deli 2IC is 19. Our Grocery 2IC is 18. My store could be the exception though.

I've found that there really is an emphasis to get the best out of you. My store manager/csm are on a crusade to make me deal with my stress/take things less personally. I guess that this only exists after you move up from just an operator, but still, the support is there.

As I said before, we can't make up your mind. There are pros and cons in both. The cons for Woolies are probably the same for Maccas, when you think about it (ie standing, customers etc).

I've just searched through a stack of posts I've made in this thread, and I'm not sure that I've said anything positive about Woolies in the 536 posts I've made except for this one. I'll quote anything positive I find.

jgibson0011

HSC
N/A
ive worked at both. woolies is alright, but maccas is better. you get to know your managers and most of them are legends. at woolies, you dont get to many chances to talk to your supervisors/managers unless your in smkeshop or express... seriously, go maccas. the only reason i moved from maccas to woolies wsas becaus i was ashamed to work at maccas and a few of my friends worked at woolies.
But, in the end, i guess i dontreally regret the move. My CSM is pretty awesome and so are the ppl... Fresh food or Greasy burgers?? Its your call...
To brookie94:

Fresh Food beats Greasy Burgers every time. I worked at Maccas for a month when I was 16. It actually turned me off eating the food (if you can even call it that). Since I was new, I always got the shitty jobs and I wasn't good at any of them. Customers and other staff treated me like shit...and food handling as such just wasn't really my forte. I'm 18 and for nearly two years now I have worked at Woolworths, and although you have good and bad days...its sooo much better than Maccas!

Staff at Woolworths are generally more helpful...especially when you're new, and our training is better IMO. At McDonald's, they basically threw me in the deep end after my first shift...but you go through several stages of training at Woolworths, and learn so much more on the job.

As for the department…It all depends on what you like. If talking with people you don't know seems interesting, and you have good money handling skills, service cashier is the way to go. I have worked in other departments like perishables, longlife and deli, but strangely like service cashier better.

My advice is to take any job offered by Woolworths. The introduction of self-serve machines has reduced the number of staff, which is making it harder on kids to find jobs to start from. Whatever the department, If you really don't like it…ask you manager after your probation is up for shifts in other departments. Best advice - have patience, the job will grow on you...

Best Of Luck!

brookie94

HSC
Yeh it's a really hard choice I mean I haven't even really started at maccas so idk but it seems fun but at woolies te managers seem pretty nice and it pays better IDK

brookie94

HSC
To brookie94:

Fresh Food beats Greasy Burgers every time. I worked at Maccas for a month when I was 16. It actually turned me off eating the food (if you can even call it that). Since I was new, I always got the shitty jobs and I wasn't good at any of them. Customers and other staff treated me like shit...and food handling as such just wasn't really my forte. I'm 18 and for nearly two years now I have worked at Woolworths, and although you have good and bad days...its sooo much better than Maccas!

Staff at Woolworths are generally more helpful...especially when you're new, and our training is better IMO. At McDonald's, they basically threw me in the deep end after my first shift...but you go through several stages of training at Woolworths, and learn so much more on the job.

As for the department…It all depends on what you like. If talking with people you don't know seems interesting, and you have good money handling skills, service cashier is the way to go. I have worked in other departments like perishables, longlife and deli, but strangely like service cashier better.

My advice is to take any job offered by Woolworths. The introduction of self-serve machines has reduced the number of staff, which is making it harder on kids to find jobs to start from. Whatever the department, If you really don't like it…ask you manager after your probation is up for shifts in other departments. Best advice - have patience, the job will grow on you...

Best Of Luck!
Yeh to be honest I really don't know but I'm pretty sure I will go woolies. If I don't like it, I can quit and get a job at maccas because it's easier than the other way round. And I'm a cashier but I will have shifts in deli apparently so there's a bit of variety too. Anyone else got any input?

ekul444

HSC
N/A
brookie 94:
My opinion is not going to be a well-rounded one because Woolworths is the only place I have worked, so I don't know any better. hahaha
But seriously, I really like my job at Woolies - the other staff in Service are great people and the Manager and Supervisors are absolutely fantastic people.

As a casual, when I need time off, whether for a rehearsal or exams it was happily given to me, no questions asked or objections made. And when I'm ready for more hours they always find some extra shifts for me.

Sure working in service you get the occasional bitch of a customer, but this is all made up for with the customers who are genuinely appreciative of your service.

But for me my store is a five minute walk from my house - it can't get any better than that!

So, yeah, I'd recommend Woolies, remembering its the only place I have worked, and the decision is totally yours.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Yo Brooke. Lots of friends have worked at Maccas. People either seem to love it or hate it, there's no in between. They seem to have a lot of fun, the ones that like it.

Quite a few of the youngins I see at work don't like it, but there are few that do, quite a bit. And there's more people who are just indifferent, like they're not like "WOHOOO I WANT TO HAVE SEX WITH THE SERVICE DESK" but they also don't want to burn the place down, so there's probably more chance you'll enjoy woolies. You're very lucky that you get deli shifts as well, most new people don't have that diversity, and it will definitely mix it up for you.

Re: Male Discrimination. I think there is a slight discrimination against males becoming service supervisors and generally being good in the customer service arena.

groovygirl

HSC
with the new system upgrade would i be able to do grocery refunds from the smoke shop register, even theough i dont have numbers?

brookie94

HSC
Yo Brooke. Lots of friends have worked at Maccas. People either seem to love it or hate it, there's no in between. They seem to have a lot of fun, the ones that like it.

Quite a few of the youngins I see at work don't like it, but there are few that do, quite a bit. And there's more people who are just indifferent, like they're not like "WOHOOO I WANT TO HAVE SEX WITH THE SERVICE DESK" but they also don't want to burn the place down, so there's probably more chance you'll enjoy woolies. You're very lucky that you get deli shifts as well, most new people don't have that diversity, and it will definitely mix it up for you.

Re: Male Discrimination. I think there is a slight discrimination against males becoming service supervisors and generally being good in the customer service arena.
haha thanks lol "WOHOOO I WANT TO HAVE SEX WITH THE SERVICE DESK" haha

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
You guys are making it sound like it's a bad thing having younger people as managers....Is it a rare occurance that I was made Produce 2IC at 16?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)