• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (10 Viewers)

jgibson0011

HSC
N/A
Uh the legal age in Victoria is 15, not 15 and 10 months like 3/4 of Victoria thinks lol.
Sorry...my mistake. I meant 14 and 9 months (or at least it was when I first started looking for work - in VIC). Maybe the laws have changed to 15 years old. Not sure :confused:

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Is anybody in a position capable of obtaining an electronic copy of the AutoStockR guide from Store Net and sending to my e-mail?</SPAN>
3rd time.

Answer is possibly as there is a screen capture/print function on Woolworths Computers, but that would be page by page and I doubt Woolworths would like their manuals being sent via Email to someone who they have no verification is a Woolworths employee.

If you are an employee just ask your dept manager or SSM to print one off for you, then just scan it onto your PC for an 'electronic' copy.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
I had some people from SA once come in, and they said "wow, they still give plastic bags for free here." I just simply replied "they won't be for long. In several years, it will all be plastic bag free"

They then continued to say how stupid it all was

I just said that "when you see how many plastic bags this store goes through on a daily basis, then multiply that by 365 and the number of woolies that is, it becomes really scary"

well, that unleashed a demon. Stupid bitch mouthed off at me on how I know nothing and how green bags were inconvenient for her. I then said something like "so your taking your convenience over the environment?? It's people like you which mean the world is in danger environmentally."
Bitch

Seriously, think about how many plastic bags your store goes through. Multiply that by how many coles woolies, big w, IGAs, kmarts and other stores there are that use plastic. Very scary.

And that is why I support a ban on plastic bags
Good on you! Bearing in mind, however, than as Woolworths employees we are complicit in a system of production and consumption that is ultimately unsustainable and propagates animal maltreatment and environmental mismanagement at almost every level. Which is why in my mind i want to slap those excessive plastic bag users but i know i can't lecture them until i walk the talk.

My store is sooo incredibly bitchy. Everyone hates everyone for some particular reason, and not a day goes bay without someone moaning to me about someone with an attitude problem or who doesn't like them or who doesn't let them supervise or something ridiculously trivial. I know they bitch about me because someone told me. My CSM just tells people to their face which is so much more preferable. I think it's just small-town politics microed into a small store.

People often bitch to me cos they know i'm not really involved, so now i have a secret database of who everyone hates and may ultimately use it against them.

HSC
lol, I would be surprised if our full-time smokeshop champion was actually IN the smokeshop :p she's always doing other things (magazines, systems, etc). Is your smokeshop seperate from express? Our is together so she just leaves smokeshop....
Ours generally stays there, but she's hardly interested in doing anything. Our express and smokeshop is attached though, but of couse while the full timer would be able to stand around smokeshop talking when she had no customers, I had my own express register.

I have work in an hour. I really don't want to go today.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Like I said, a 7.30-5.30 smokeshop shift means you have to stay there 7.30-5.30 on ONE register. Being either sup or operator is better for me because I end up doing all sorts of stuff (ie cash office 'training' - such a deluded waste of time, bakery RTC's, covering the shifts for thursday that needed to be covered, uh chasing up my insurance paperwork etc).

Smokeshop is just that. Smokeshop.

I guess I liked it beforehand because I was trying really hard to prove that I could possibly be a good supervisor. Now that they know I'm actually a mediocre one smokeshop has no value to me.
Though it is nice to have ZERO responsibility.
See it's opposite with me, when I'm operator I am on register for the whole shift which makes me feel like I'm in some sort of prison with no room to move.
Why I like self serve/smoke shop at the moment is.... I can move around, people/supervisors speak to me and I learn so much more whilst i'm doing smokes or self serve as I get along with the supervisors.

jirwin

HSC
It's $320 in notes (3 x $50, 3 x $20, 6 x $10 and 10 x $5)

Do you at your Coles bag your tills up on weeknights or leave it in the drawer o/night?
I haven't done a late shift for a while - it at least used to be $300 (5 x $20, 10 x $10 and 20 x $5) but guess it could have changed because I remember being instructed to leave 3-4 50's in the drawer when I was signing off (but this wasn't that late but on a drawer that's not really used of a night).

Used to bag the drawers of a night but now they are left in - only bag on a Sunday.

And you can get in trouble if you do more than one clearance per hour, so I will usually just take a look each hour if one needs doing. When the register tells you it means you really, really, REALLY need to do one. And don't the Woolworths people have to ask a supervisor for a capsule? We just have these little plastic bag thingys.

I must admit, two things about Coles' POS that annoy me are that you need supervisor permission to suspend sales and that you can't delete the only item in a transaction without supervisor permission.
I actually asked a supervisor about that 'one clearance every hour' rule last time you mentioned it in a thread. At least at my store, we don't get in trouble - there has to be 10min between clearances and depending on the time of the day/night there is a limit to how much money can be sent up.

Those two things annoy me as well although I don't come across the need to suspend a sale often.

PyroTek said:
anyone else got a new bag policy at their express registers?

"We don't offer plastic bags anymore etc. etc." with a footnote:

"however, if you would like one, please ask"

:S annoys the shits out of me
This is at a lot of my local woolworths too. It's like, no bag for 3 items or less - but you can ask for one. It's only on express too. Which I find weird as usually those going through express have just come in spare of the moment decision - whereas those doing big shops have usually pre-thought it and brought their green bags.

jgibson0011 said:
Really? At my store, the supervisor tells me in person to do a pick up and change order. The only time pick ups (or clearances) are done is when there is someone working in the cash office.

We need supervisor numbers for QTY, refunds and when voiding a whole transaction. But we can save and recall transactions without a supervisor and void the last item in a transaction, and then clearing it by pressing 'CASH' followed by $0.00. The till then opens and a receipt prints.
We order change when we need it. I.E. go into the order change section, type in how much we need, enter how much money we are sending with the order, place the money in the change bag, along with the little change order docket that prints, then call to the service desk and ask for change - supervisor/operator comes and picks it up, goes back to the service desk to get the change from the changemaster and then brings it back.

Clearances are whenever you think it is needed - there's a limit to how much you can send in each clearance. The register does warn you but as bdude has said before, when you get the warning, a clearance is REALLY needed - usually over the clearance limit I find.

We can do QTY without a supervisor (would hate to have to call a supervisor all the time!) Refunds are only done at the Service Desk (with supervisor numbers). Need supervisor to cancel an order (we can't delete the last item so this is a major pain at times) We can't suspend sales without a supervisor but we don't need the supervisor again when recalling the sale.

bdude

HSC
I actually asked a supervisor about that 'one clearance every hour' rule last time you mentioned it in a thread. At least at my store, we don't get in trouble - there has to be 10min between clearances and depending on the time of the day/night there is a limit to how much money can be sent up.
Our CSM will regularly go through the Excessive Clearance report, I've only been talked to twice - the first time was because I didn't know there was a rule and the second time I misjudged the time.

Need supervisor to cancel an order (we can't delete the last item so this is a major pain at times)
What I usually do is delete everything but the last item, put a lettuce on and delete the last item then scan the next customer's first item and delete the lettuce.

jirwin

HSC
Our CSM will regularly go through the Excessive Clearance report, I've only been talked to twice - the first time was because I didn't know there was a rule and the second time I misjudged the time.

What I usually do is delete everything but the last item, put a lettuce on and delete the last item then scan the next customer's first item and delete the lettuce.
I've been spoken to once - wasn't aware there was a rule/limit. I'm surprised I wasn't spoken to a few weeks ago - forgot the change in limit at night so the clearance would've been like 3 times what it should be. But I wasn't in again until like 5 days later so the CSM probably forgot.

Never thought about the lettuce trick - hopefully I'll remember!

bdude

HSC
Never thought about the lettuce trick - hopefully I'll remember!
I just use it because it's one of the f&V that I can remember. I don't get the point of limiting clearances at night, they go to the same place as they do in the day.

jirwin

HSC
I just use it because it's one of the f&V that I can remember. I don't get the point of limiting clearances at night, they go to the same place as they do in the day.
Yea I don't get it either - it kind of leaves us open to having more cash in the drawers. Neither is safe. Robbers are going to first come to the registers then they are to go to where ever the clearances go to.

bdude

HSC
OMG. Same thing. I tell you our store is incredibly guilty for the above. Once, our Store manager's wife left him, for the ..... Baker Manager's wife!!! OMFG!!!!
That's like something for a movie.

Actually, I just realised something, I'm fairly sure all our Department Managers are females.

quick90

HSC
WTF? How does that work? What do you put in the bagging area? We have plastic bags on EVERY Machine,plus a small stand with green bags beside each machine.
Bagging area is just kept empty.

T 360

One of the Fresh Food Peo
HSC
See it's opposite with me, when I'm operator I am on register for the whole shift which makes me feel like I'm in some sort of prison with no room to move.
Why I like self serve/smoke shop at the moment is.... I can move around, people/supervisors speak to me and I learn so much more whilst i'm doing smokes or self serve as I get along with the supervisors.

I am the same as you Matthew. Over christmas,it was great because our other castual SCO attendant left, so I did SCO every shift for approx 3 weeks.Now I`m back as operator(doing 10 hours on SCO a week) and I am having a hard time getting used to it again.

I also get on with all the supervisors(apart from the 2IC,But most people don`t like him).

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
I know, but the way they spoke to me was just so rude; as if I knew nothing of how inconvenient it was to use green bags. But, I did say it in a nice manner... Like I wasn't rude about it! I am not rude to customers, but if they go off at me like that, I will provide a comment, well placed and timed that is not said rudely, but makes them think of their actions. I do not go to work to get abused, just like they go shopping and wouldnt like to get abused.
I reckon it's a generational thing

Only a young person would actually think about how many bags used times how many woolworths times 365 (plus same for coles etc.) on the spot like that

baby boomers or older are more egocentric imo

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Worst day of work EVER today.
I got a message at 1.50 this morning from my 2IC (who is on holidays). She got a message from one of my casual packers who was meant to be working 6 am - 10 am with me, saying he couldn't come into work. I was running the department today. With him being there we were already short staffed. Because he wasn't in, it meant one girl had to do all the packing, slicing, donuts, etc etc by herself. And we're a special buy program store so we have HUGE amounts of everything >_<

Knowing this, I went in to work at 3.15 am, when I was only meant to start at about 7 am, so that I could get most of the shopfloor organised, and could then work inside the department. Ended up working 3.15 am to midday with no break, took a 45 minute break, then worked until 2.30 pm. -_-

I'm sick, tired, hurt my back, eurgh, so over it all.

On the plus side, the acting SM and the FF STM decided to cut the casual's shift for the rest of the week :)

EDIT: And I got paid 7 hours. SEVEN HOURS. -_-

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah, on the bag thing, we're almost running out, so i actually calculated how long we could las based on the fact we average 5.8 items per bag. anywho, worked out we go through 10,000 plastic bags a week, we're a tiny store as well, so imagine what the bigger stores used

mlee72

HSC
I hate it when you get on a register that isn't regularly used and it has been raided for change so you've got like nothing but 5 cent pieces.

So at Woolworths, do you just order change when you need it and call a supervisor?
No, we key in the amounts of change we want on the POS screen and it gets sent to the cash office computer to be actioned

HSC
I completely understand what you're saying, and thats why I liked smokeshop before. But now that I'm not on mains a lot (well not at all at the moment) I don't have that issue.

Going back to tickets this weekend hopefully. I have missed that shift more than I ever thought I would!

Craven

HSC
^ everything related to tickets is the worst thing ever. especially if you have a blonde moment and put the paper in upside down etc you have to go back and start again *cringe* bring on LED stripping.... :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)