The Woolworths Thread (1 Viewer)

HSC
Someone told me at work today that they sometimes pluck checkout people off the registers and put them to work in other departments. I was taken off checkouts and put into deli for around 20minutes to serve customers today. My supervisor called me off my register and my store manager told me to go see one of the supervisors in the deli. So I went and she just basically got me a hat and taught me how to use the weighing machine and then I was wondering why I was working in the deli! There weren't that many customers and I'm pretty sure there were enough people in the deli. Why do they do that? It's not part of my job and it's not what I applied for working in Woolies for. Does this mean that they'll ask me to work in the deli if there's too many customers in the future? I don't want to. And to top it off, the customers speak so softly and assume that we can hear it over the freezer counter. My god, speak up man! BAH. =p

Pilotman

HSC
Haven't posted in here for ages!!!

So glad to be out of woolies!

In response to the guy/girl loosing the RF gun, they wont do anything and prob wont even say anything about it!

Lol i was driving the forklift around one afternoon on the back dock, we had these boxes on the ground, ran clean over the top of them as i was reversing trying to split a couple milk pallets.

Once i'd run over them twice, i stopped to get out and check what they were thinking it was just rubbish...............well it wasn't rubbish it was 10 brand new RF guns in several thousand pieces.

God i'd been fired after the years i was there breaking stuff!, the old keyboards were good as well! used to change all the buttons around on people hahaha, put cauliflower where cabbage was etc and just completely change them, so people looked like fucking idiots

Dropped a touch screen once when we were replacing the bracket, that wasn't a good look either.

Smashed a freezer door, ran into it with the pallet jacked up with potting mix.

So what's everyone else broken???

HAHAHAHA you should of seen the look on the SM's face! taken them months to get some more RF guns and i just go and run over them. Whoops! didnt do anything bout it either just told me if i run something over the first time i should check what it is before running over them again lol.

There was actually going to be a policy (in WA anyway) to ensure that no one was to be working in cash office who was under 18 though dont think it ever happened.

Also, the store i worked at has now become so top heavy it's not funny, there millions of managers and no staff at all.

Heres a list of what they have........

Liquor Manager
Liquor 2IC
Liquor 3IC (though liquor kind of warrants these guys, busiest liquor in the country)
Meat Unit Manager
Meat unit 2IC
Bakery Manager
2x produce managers
Produce 2IC
2x Deli Managers
Deli 2IC
Deli 3IC
Grocery Manager
Grocery 2IC
Grocery 3IC
Nightfill Captain
Nightfill 2IC
Perishable Manager
Perishable 2IC
Freezers Manager (someone decided they would create a new job lol)
S.R.O
2x STM's
2x SSM's (2 of the biggest fucking whores out there)
Store Manager
2x Serivce Managers
Service 2IC
2x Cash office
Systems Operator
5x Duty Managers
1x Fresh Food duty Manager
1x Department Duty manager (fuck knows who made these titles up???? as far as i knew STM was meant do be doing this shit, not sitting in their office)
Back dock person

Think theres more managers and "non operational" staff than staff it's fucked and you seem to wait FOREVER to get served in there now........Although the store makes 1.5million a week, doesnt mean you need managers the staff make the store functional not managers.

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
KaaN10 said:
Had my first shift Friday but haven't got one for over 8 days... What's going on here.
new people are bottom of the food chain. here's how it works, you'll get few rostered shifts, but you'll be the first person they'll call if somebody is sick/can't do a shift. i highly recommend you take these shifts whenever possible, it moves you up the food chain by proving your a good employee. after that you'll start to get more rostered shifts. if you dont take these extra shifts, you'll just have to tough it out untill they can determine how good an employee you are

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Pilotman said:
Haven't posted in here for ages!!!

So glad to be out of woolies!

In response to the guy/girl loosing the RF gun, they wont do anything and prob wont even say anything about it!

Lol i was driving the forklift around one afternoon on the back dock, we had these boxes on the ground, ran clean over the top of them as i was reversing trying to split a couple milk pallets.

Once i'd run over them twice, i stopped to get out and check what they were thinking it was just rubbish...............well it wasn't rubbish it was 10 brand new RF guns in several thousand pieces.

God i'd been fired after the years i was there breaking stuff!, the old keyboards were good as well! used to change all the buttons around on people hahaha, put cauliflower where cabbage was etc and just completely change them, so people looked like fucking idiots

Dropped a touch screen once when we were replacing the bracket, that wasn't a good look either.

Smashed a freezer door, ran into it with the pallet jacked up with potting mix.

So what's everyone else broken???

HAHAHAHA you should of seen the look on the SM's face! taken them months to get some more RF guns and i just go and run over them. Whoops! didnt do anything bout it either just told me if i run something over the first time i should check what it is before running over them again lol.

There was actually going to be a policy (in WA anyway) to ensure that no one was to be working in cash office who was under 18 though dont think it ever happened.

Also, the store i worked at has now become so top heavy it's not funny, there millions of managers and no staff at all.

Heres a list of what they have........

Liquor Manager
Liquor 2IC
Liquor 3IC (though liquor kind of warrants these guys, busiest liquor in the country)
Meat Unit Manager
Meat unit 2IC
Bakery Manager
2x produce managers
Produce 2IC
2x Deli Managers
Deli 2IC
Deli 3IC
Grocery Manager
Grocery 2IC
Grocery 3IC
Nightfill Captain
Nightfill 2IC
Perishable Manager
Perishable 2IC
Freezers Manager (someone decided they would create a new job lol)
S.R.O
2x STM's
2x SSM's (2 of the biggest fucking whores out there)
Store Manager
2x Serivce Managers
Service 2IC
2x Cash office
Systems Operator
5x Duty Managers
1x Fresh Food duty Manager
1x Department Duty manager (fuck knows who made these titles up???? as far as i knew STM was meant do be doing this shit, not sitting in their office)
Back dock person

Think theres more managers and "non operational" staff than staff it's fucked and you seem to wait FOREVER to get served in there now........Although the store makes 1.5million a week, doesnt mean you need managers the staff make the store functional not managers.
that may seem a lot, but it's not when you think about it. based on 1,5million sales, each (of the 39) managers is roughly contributing $40k per week. at our store, we have $260k sales, and 15 managers, each only contributing about $17k per week. so proportionally, you have half the managers we have

HSC
I think if you're employed in their store, you should be on their roster. There's staff on our rosters that are on leave for more than a week yet their names still appear there. There's just no hours attached to their name. Maybe you should check with your supervisor.

benji6667

HSC
sorry for going on a tangent, but is anyone having trouble with the apply online system?

ive made a profile and what not, but whenever i apply for a job, i get a blank screen and redirected to the search job page

is there any way around this?

jodi..1

is awesome
HSC
When I started I once didn't get a shift for 3 weeks. They'll give you more shifts, you've just got to be willing to work any hours.

nicollette

HSC
townie said:
new people are bottom of the food chain. here's how it works, you'll get few rostered shifts, but you'll be the first person they'll call if somebody is sick/can't do a shift. i highly recommend you take these shifts whenever possible, it moves you up the food chain by proving your a good employee. after that you'll start to get more rostered shifts. if you dont take these extra shifts, you'll just have to tough it out untill they can determine how good an employee you are
Not exactly, it depends how badly your store needs people at registers/whatever. I had my first shift last week, since then they've given me shifts everyday of the week, not to mention calling me up later and asking me to come in again. I got plain sick of it, so I just said no, which I really shouldn't do considering I'm new. Anywho..now I'm a rostered casual, around 23 hours a week, so yeah...

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Help Please! Working at BigW, I have seen numerous people come across from Woolworths Supermarket, and so on. I am considering leaving BigW in the near future(Recovery is Shit) and I am interested in a New Woolies store opening 5km from my house. Do I have to apply all over again, or can I just do a store Transfer thing. I would only want to work in Dairy at Woolies, and mabye FullTime/Partime. (I already work 5 hours doing Dairy at Coles, so thats my advantage.)

Could they just transfer me???

Roga

HSC
milocole said:
Help Please! Working at BigW, I have seen numerous people come across from Woolworths Supermarket, and so on. I am considering leaving BigW in the near future(Recovery is Shit) and I am interested in a New Woolies store opening 5km from my house. Do I have to apply all over again, or can I just do a store Transfer thing. I would only want to work in Dairy at Woolies, and mabye FullTime/Partime. (I already work 5 hours doing Dairy at Coles, so thats my advantage.)

Could they just transfer me???
I'd think you have to apply through the internal section of Woolworths Careers website... they can't just transfer you just because you want to.

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Yeah, I kinda figured that. I guess the managers were allowed, but not is kids!

Anyway, Full Time Dairy Team Member, 18yrs old, whats the salary?

Roga

HSC
milocole said:

$5 p/year

ytrbut

HSC
milocole said:

I think it's about $12/hr from memory. You won't be salaried as such, but rather paid per hour. Full time = 156 hours per 4 weeks (19 days per four weeks, you get a four day week by the letter of the EBA, although often it doesn't happen from experience :D), so on average 39 hours per week, so about $500 a week, which is around $25,000/year.

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Searching throigh WowCareers, and searching Dairy, nothing comes up..
-Is it called Dairy at Wollies like Coles or something else??
-And When they advertise positions for a new store, do they just advertise "Various entry level roles" or each departments job?

Roga

HSC
milocole said:
Searching throigh WowCareers, and searching Dairy, nothing comes up..
-Is it called Dairy at Wollies like Coles or something else??
-And When they advertise positions for a new store, do they just advertise "Various entry level roles" or each departments job?
Dairy = Perishables

jodi..1

is awesome
HSC
If you want more shifts, tell your supervisors. For example if you're working a Tuesday and can work Wednesday tell them you're available tomorrow. At my store people occasionally write on the front of the roster that they're available certain days/all week, so if I'm replacing shifts I'll call them first.

Like I said before though, you can't say you'll do it then have them ring you and you say you can't do it now just coz you can't be bothered.

Also even if you don't get rostered on for a while, make sure you keep checking your roster! I hate no-shows!

And milocole, I thought you couldn't work for woolies/big w and coles as well...? Isn't that a conflict of interest?

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
jodi..1 said:
And milocole, I thought you couldn't work for woolies/big w and coles as well...? Isn't that a conflict of interest?
Well, BigW dont care whatsover about me working at Coles. I told them I only work there Once a Fortnight, and they didn't even care about that. When I told one of my managers at Coles however, that I got a second job, he didn't roster me on for a month!

mitch179

HSC
milocole said:
Well, BigW dont care whatsover about me working at Coles. I told them I only work there Once a Fortnight, and they didn't even care about that. When I told one of my managers at Coles however, that I got a second job, he didn't roster me on for a month!
Yeah, BigW wouldn't care about that because it's not such a conflict of interest. (Discount Retail/Grocery)

When I went for an interview at Big W, and I had my job at Target, they said that wouldn't be allowed, because that would be a conflict of interest.

Working at Coles and Woolworths at the same time might be a problem though.

Roga

HSC
KaaN10 said:
Well I went upto the store and had a word with the supervisor and she said I wasn't getting called for shifts because I didn't do the on job booklet(no one told me) She went through the store and we filled out the booklet and said I'll be getting more shifts. I'll be working as Service Cashier(Already done it a bit) and Produce Assistant(What do I do in this?)
Haha that's poor management. It should've been done straightaway on your first shift.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)