• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (6 Viewers)

HSC
Re: Refurbishment and few words..

lol our store has actually implemented this, today was the first time ive worked in a couple of weeks and when i looked over to the registers and i saw everyone standing out the front of their register and i was like WTF, then i remembered this post... when i was on my lunch break i walked past the coles in our centre... and they were doing EXACTLY the same thing!! haha did coles pinch our idea or did we pinch theirs?!?
I'm not sure, but KMart has been doing this for quite a while.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Mmm, re the new service measures, I haven't seen the CSM in aaages, but from what I can see we haven't done anything on them, there hasn't been anything in the sup. communications book or anything. Since I discovered the service standards it's easier cos you have something to refer off if you think you need to make some service calls.

Hey, does QLD have regulated trading hours like WA? Cos i was looking up some stores around Bond Uni (i may be going next year), and they all had exactly the same opening hours. Shit ones too. Btw, has anyone ever worked in/been to either of the Robina or Burleigh Heads stores?

HSC
Hey, does QLD have regulated trading hours like WA? Cos i was looking up some stores around Bond Uni (i may be going next year), and they all had exactly the same opening hours. Shit ones too. Btw, has anyone ever worked in/been to either of the Robina or Burleigh Heads stores?
I know that the Surfers and Harbour Town stores are something like 8-9 weekdays, 8-5.30 sat, 9-6 sun. Compared to WA, this is pretty good.

mitch179

HSC
Hi yoddle,

I've worked at Woolworths in QLD and I've lived here for over 5 years. From what I can see, yes they all operate 8am-9pm Monday-Friday, 8am-5.30pm Saturday and 9am-6pm Sunday. I worked at Runaway Bay and I know that Helensvale, Harbour Town and most other stores on the coast operate the same hours.

From what I've heard from a family friend who works at Woolworths Oasis (Broadbeach), certain stores in tourist areas, including Oasis and perhaps Surfers Paradise, will be trialling 8am-midnight on weekdays, but unsure of if weekend trading hours will change for those stores....

I've been to Robina, where there are now two stores in the one shopping centre. I went to the Burliegh Heads store ages ago, but I forget what it's like. From memory, it's not a bad store.

Robina Town Centre recently had a big expansion, and there are now 2 Woolworths stores, one in the old area which has been there for a long time, and one in the new area. They are both 2010-style stores. The old one was re-furbed while the new one was built that way.

The old store is quite a big store, with 4-6 express, 6 self-serve and about 18-20 big registers. The new store is definitely there for convenience (i.e after work, just to grab a few things), it's got 4 express, a couple of self serve and maybe 10 big registers. It's desgined so that all the ready made meals and like self-serve deli and hot chickens are right at the entrance. I must say I still prefer to go in the new store, as it's not so big and it's just a much nicer store. It's in the new part, and right under the Big W, so it's good.

If you are looking at going to Bond Uni next year (me too :D), one of the Robina stores would be your best bet.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Hi yoddle,

I've worked at Woolworths in QLD and I've lived here for over 5 years. From what I can see, yes they all operate 8am-9pm Monday-Friday, 8am-5.30pm Saturday and 9am-6pm Sunday. I worked at Runaway Bay and I know that Helensvale, Harbour Town and most other stores on the coast operate the same hours.

From what I've heard from a family friend who works at Woolworths Oasis (Broadbeach), certain stores in tourist areas, including Oasis and perhaps Surfers Paradise, will be trialling 8am-midnight on weekdays, but unsure of if weekend trading hours will change for those stores....

I've been to Robina, where there are now two stores in the one shopping centre. I went to the Burliegh Heads store ages ago, but I forget what it's like. From memory, it's not a bad store.

Robina Town Centre recently had a big expansion, and there are now 2 Woolworths stores, one in the old area which has been there for a long time, and one in the new area. They are both 2010-style stores. The old one was re-furbed while the new one was built that way.

The old store is quite a big store, with 4-6 express, 6 self-serve and about 18-20 big registers. The new store is definitely there for convenience (i.e after work, just to grab a few things), it's got 4 express, a couple of self serve and maybe 10 big registers. It's desgined so that all the ready made meals and like self-serve deli and hot chickens are right at the entrance. I must say I still prefer to go in the new store, as it's not so big and it's just a much nicer store. It's in the new part, and right under the Big W, so it's good.

If you are looking at going to Bond Uni next year (me too :D), one of the Robina stores would be your best bet.
Wow could you be any more helpful? Yeah the smaller one sounds better, I'm not a very good stress-worker. Also it's slightly closer to the uni. Are you applying for any scholarships at Bond? I had my Vice Chancellor's and Collegiate interview last Thursday. Mmm i suppose those opening hours are good in terms of study and social life, but not so much for money.

Trentyboi

HSC
Just wanted to ask something on the topic of disgusting green bags - you know the ones I mean! Do we as checkout operators have the right to refuse to pack a horrible green bag?? (smelly, dirty, full of rubbish etc...)
We do in Coles. Guess it's because if we touch dirty stuff, then we're going to contaminate the next customers' goodies. I'm aware that money is dirty, but still.

Oh yeah, I used to work at Kmart in Robina Town Centre. The original Woolies there is pretty big, and because of the expansion, that shopping centre gets pretty busy.

No where near as busy as my Coles Central store in Brisbane, it's shocking!

Last edited:

mitch179

HSC
No where near as busy as my Coles Central store in Brisbane, it's shocking!
I think I'd be suited for a store such as Coles Central in Brisbane CBD.

From what I can see, it's mainly express registers, customers are generally only buying a couple of things, and it's always busy. I like it when it's busy as it makes time go quicker. If I lived closer to the CBD, I'd probably go for a job there.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
I think I'd be suited for a store such as Coles Central in Brisbane CBD.

From what I can see, it's mainly express registers, customers are generally only buying a couple of things, and it's always busy. I like it when it's busy as it makes time go quicker. If I lived closer to the CBD, I'd probably go for a job there.
Likewise. Our store is in suburbia and we only have three express (!) as opposed to fourteen big checkouts. Even worse, I used to work at a store with zero express. This is why the Town Centre one sounds good.

Trentyboi

HSC
Likewise. Our store is in suburbia and we only have three express (!) as opposed to fourteen big checkouts. Even worse, I used to work at a store with zero express. This is why the Town Centre one sounds good.
When I visited there, they usually didn't have every express register filled.

Craven

HSC
Woolies has to have a finger in every pie... Everyday Prepaid Mobile coming August lol :O

NC8000

HSC
N/A
Bahahaha, your kidding right? What network are they using, Vodafone i'm guessing?
yep, as mentioned Optus(2g). has been a LONG time in the making, was due late last year but complications with our systems slowed it down.

basically the same as the crazy johns setup. Virtual service provider(known as a "white" provider and you get billed by everyday mobile, tied into all the other "everyday" plans). storenet will have details.

Expect the 10% Vodafone discounts to end in the future. This is the same business model as the US and UK supermarket chains have done. Shop at woolies, get your EDR points, claim Woolworths mobile credits(yep, watch in the near future).

Craven

HSC
Yeah, don't know much more at this stage... all the offers are TBA on the team talk lol. 3rd August launch, $2 sim cards in stores. Also from 3rd August for all mobile phone sales we are no longer using the manual AMTA form, there will be an online form in the citrix web portal... pain in the ass I think.

HSC
Yeah, don't know much more at this stage... all the offers are TBA on the team talk lol. 3rd August launch, $2 sim cards in stores. Also from 3rd August for all mobile phone sales we are no longer using the manual AMTA form, there will be an online form in the citrix web portal... pain in the ass I think.
also majorly inconvenient.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
this explains why we were reprimanded so severley at our store for not completley complying with the mobile phone sales procedure.

Harry778

HSC
I read somewhere that when Tesco or Costco or something like that comes to Australia next year, Woolworths will become partners with them. They must be scared. Even I am. I like working for the biggest retailer in Australia! Hope that never changes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)