The Woolworths Thread (1 Viewer)

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Woolworths does actually recognise this, i remember when we had WoWPos training they specifically said "fruit and vegtables are allocated to such based on how customers commonly see them, not their actual definition"
Hmm then why are all melons under m instead of R = Rockmelon, H = Honeydew Melon etc?
Nobody gets it correct on self serve gahh :( lol

HSC
i guess i'm just shit then. :p
i will also point out that i fail produce ID every single week, my csm has a bet with me that the week i get everything right (and she's there to see it/and i haven't marked a stack of others) i get a gift card, arguing that if i can't remember such items after 3.5 years, i never will.
I did get one all right a few months back, but she didn't believe me :(

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
For ease, all melons are under M for Melon. Whenever our Watermelon season starts for the first few weeks we get asked why they aren't under W lol

Avocado's have been the centre of a debate for ages...are they are fruit or are they a vegetable? Because they grow on trees (Same with tomatoes) technically they are a fruit.

It's funny babikakez, I was just like you...Always failed my Produce test....couldn't tell a lettuce from a cabbage lol

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Hah you'd have to remember 5 different codes here.

Imported Watermelon
Imported Seedless Watermelon
Watermelon Cut
Seedless Watermelon Cut
Watermelon Whole (Charged at each instead of kg)

Which is why we've started using the stickers with the barcodes on all our cut fruit. We used to put them on our cauli and cabbages but they now all come in pre trimmed, cut and wrapped.

Also while we're down the road of fruit/vegetables..Technically Cucumbers and Capsicums are Fruit too, but are considered vegetables by the majority. In fact, anything with seeds in is biologically a fruit.

Last edited:
HSC
Hah you'd have to remember 5 different codes here.

Imported Watermelon
Imported Seedless Watermelon
Watermelon Cut
Seedless Watermelon Cut
Watermelon Whole (Charged at each instead of kg)

Which is why we've started using the stickers with the barcodes on all our cut fruit. We used to put them on our cauli and cabbages but they now all come in pre trimmed, cut and wrapped.
coles only has seedless cut
and seedless whole
sometimes we have watermelon with seeds in them...but only sometimes.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Ahh okay.

And correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we can manually enter PLU codes anymore with WoWPOS

Craven

HSC
Can someone explain why they bother having two PLUs (whole and cut) for watermelon when it's always the same price? Is it so we know how much wrapping we are using or something?

jirwin

HSC
Can someone explain why they bother having two PLUs (whole and cut) for watermelon when it's always the same price? Is it so we know how much wrapping we are using or something?
At Coles they are not the same price :)

e.g. the other week, whole seedless watermelon was 69c/kg and the cut seedless was 99c/kg

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Well they use the whole watermelons for the cuts right? Even if they dont, they would want to know how many cuts they are selling so how many they have to quota for (like any product)
^ I assume that's correct lol

bdude

HSC

e.g. the other week, whole seedless watermelon was 69c/kg and the cut seedless was 99c/kg
They are? I've always just used 5930. I don't think we have any other options on our db.

And we just have an alphabetical search for f&v

HSC
Why are avocados in the fruit category then? They're like tomatoes, no one bites into them.
Avacados used to be on both the fruit AND veg menu, not still if its still the case.

It's funny babikakez, I was just like you...Always failed my Produce test....couldn't tell a lettuce from a cabbage lol
Okay, I can tell the difference between lettuce and cabbage :p I more fail when it comes to snow vs sugar snap peas, bagels, obscure vegetables that I've seen but can't remember the name of, etc.
Also remember that anything less than 100% = fail.

There have been weeks where I have picked the items for the test myself and still not got them all correct :mad:

They're not always the same price at woolies either.

jirwin

HSC
They are? I've always just used 5930. I don't think we have any other options on our db.

And we just have an alphabetical search for f&v
Only a recent thing at my store - came in early February so very recent. Not sure if the whole seedless is in the fruit and veg look up, we have the PLU code written on a piece of receipt roll and stuck to the registers with blue tak.

Haha I was using 5930 as well until I was told. I was like 'opps well that guy was just overcharged'

jirwin

HSC
Okay, I can tell the difference between lettuce and cabbage :p I more fail when it comes to snow vs sugar snap peas, bagels, obscure vegetables that I've seen but can't remember the name of, etc.
Also remember that anything less than 100% = fail.

There have been weeks where I have picked the items for the test myself and still not got them all correct :mad:
So every operator get tested each week on fresh produce? Never seen this happen at Coles. Actually never done any test of any kind unless you count Mystery Shopper.

HSC
So every operator get tested each week on fresh produce? Never seen this happen at Coles. Actually never done any test of any kind unless you count Mystery Shopper.
In my store, yes. You get a box of 10 items from produce and occassionally bakery, and you have to name them without looking at the screens. If you don't get 10, you fail, and have to do it all again until you get it right.

Most people cheat though and use the screens, but not me. I'm in it for my prize (my CSM has said the week I fairly and squarely get 10 there's a gift card waiting for me, because in the nearly two years she's been here, I never have).

IMO, its useless and a complete waste of time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)