Timetables (2 Viewers)

Majesty

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by mememe
How does enrolment work anyway? Is that where you go on the day of your faculty, and they run three seperate days? I'm doing arts/law so i'd have no idea which to go to. Also, do you really have to get there heaps early to get the timetable you want?
Basically, you'll get all that info in a pack or something after you accept your offer.
But basically you'll be allocated a day and a specific time (based on your surname). You can only enrol from that time or after on that day. You collect an enrolment form and basically have to walk around uni to various places to get things done. Like your timetable approved, and getting your photo taken for your student card, getting concession stickers etc.

Always good to get a proposed timetable made online from http://timetables.mq.edu.au

mememe

Ok cool thanks. That timetable thing is hella good. I just don't wanna have it all planned out and get there and the class times i want to enrol in are all full, and my whole plan is stuffed up. *fingers crossed* i guess there's nothing i can do about it really.

Majesty

HSC
N/A
I wouldn't worry about it. Even if you don't get the tutorial/lecture/practical times that you initally anticipated you can attend the one you like anyway considering that attendance drops after the first week anyway :D

You can't do this for all tutorials/practicals because they might jot down attendance. But it's not an issue with lectures.

muli

Just get in there nice n' early, the bulk of the ppl won't be enrolling in classes until their department's day, meaning if ya beat that crowd, you're safe.

mememe

i thought you weren't allowed to enrol til your departments day? What is the department for arts/law anyway?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Unfortunately, nice and early doesn't help with enrolment... because they have alotted time by surnames.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah in 1/2 hour blocks? doesn't it take longer, or will we be out in 1/2 and hr?

Majesty

HSC
N/A
In my first year 2002, it was 8 hours :mad:
But last year that improved to about 2 hours or so.

Although luckily enough for new students, from next year re-enrolments are online for everybody.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
so let me get this straight...
you can pick what times you want for your lectures/tutes/pracs and its based on 'first in first serve'?

Majesty

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by jlh
so let me get this straight...
you can pick what times you want for your lectures/tutes/pracs and its based on 'first in first serve'?
Pretty much, but like i said in another post. In most cases if you don't get the times you want you don't have to go to the ones you got enrolled it. This depends unit by unit though.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
oh i get it, for big lectures you may be able to just go to the ones you are not enrolled in?

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
oh so tutes/pracs arn't compulsory?

at usyd they were.. how do you learn anything if they are not?

Majesty

HSC
N/A
They are for some units, and not for others. Generally for computing units i know that they're not, although compulsory attendance via awarding marks for attendance is being bought in slowly for some subjects.

Well the general idea i suppose was, attend if you want to. Most of the time if i feel comfortable with that weeks lecture material i wont bother attending a tutorial.

I don't like the idea of going to a tutorial/practical where i'm actually wasting time, money etc by attending.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
woah... i feel that i learn more in the tutes cuz you get to discuss what your actaully learning.

anyways, as for the timetables. what if we get a lecture/tute/prac at night and can't go? can we drop the class or change our timetable?
i live all the way in prestons (next to casula) and it will probably take me 2 hours to get to macq by public trasnport one way so i don' twant to leave uni that late.

i'm enrolling on the last day, on the 19th feb so that means i will be stuck with the crappiest hours!! :(

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
at night? from what i understand, you choose day OR evening, so if you choose day, you can have them up to 4pm / 5pm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)