TIPS for writing notes (1 Viewer)

amirite

HSC
Imagine playing the lecture on repeat throughout your sleep though. I wonder if you'd pick up any knowledge? Hmmm... im sure its been done a million times. Maybe ill do my thesis on that but change it up a bit. Ha. Better get in first aye?:eek:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I'm don't think you would. :) Although I'm sure you'd pick up extensive knowledge about the sentence 'Hi, my name is John and I'll be your lecturer for this semester', before you drifted off into slumber.

Gold Lion

HSC
Personally, I'd say yes! Best thing I did this year was buy one of those small laptops (already had a big laptop at home) and began taking that with me every day to uni. I found that my note taking was a lot better and more consistent and a life saver during exam time. My handwriting is shocking and I type much much faster.

So short response, hell yes.
Awesome, my hand writing is also quite shocking so I guess I will be using netbook most of the time :)

netbook hmmmmm...what's a good brand?

if i cbf, i will just write
I use asus eee pc. It's really good in pretty much all aspects - small, portable, adequate memory and really good battery life
I recommend it :)

snorlaxx

Banned
HSC
I'm don't think you would. :) Although I'm sure you'd pick up extensive knowledge about the sentence 'Hi, my name is John and I'll be your lecturer for this semester', before you drifted off into slumber.
lol, and i do agree with your statement on making notes as it is far much better than recording as it can be a waste with low quality sound.

snorlaxx

Banned
HSC
Awesome, my hand writing is also quite shocking so I guess I will be using netbook most of the time :)

I use asus eee pc. It's really good in pretty much all aspects - small, portable, adequate memory and really good battery life
I recommend it :)
it would vary on the specs though.

lawstudent

HSC
For humanities/heavy reading subjects, do the readings/notes before class, print them out, and correct anything or add important stuff to the already printed out notes, then revise them later on... or not lol works for me

i think its a bad idea bringing laptop to class because you get distracted (facebook etc) and i see all these people typing everything the lecturers say, useful or not =S waste of time trying to cut those useless crap later on for your finals.

Last edited:

ascentyx

HSC
i don't write notes, my friend at uni does that and sends them around

in fact i don't even really listen in lectures, fuck why do i even go lol.

andry

HSC
Definitely practice your handwriting when writing notes. You need to keep your writing legible at all times, etc etc so when it comes to exam time they can read what you write. If they can't they will just give you 0

jaimebien

HSC
My note taking strategy is pretty much to transcribe the lecture. Although I'm quite busy writing, my brain can usually still process what my lecturers are saying, so it isn't just a case me of sitting there and not learning. However, my brain functions stops just about there, because I'm incapable of summarising what the lecturer is saying--do you know how much thinking you have to do? How can you think, learn and write fast at the same time?!

Anyway, I'm a pen and paper person, but given that I just said I tend to transcribe the lecture, I think it's high time to give the laptop method a trial.

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC
it completely depends what subjects you're doing! in reference to 'keeping quick handwriting skills'. i've mainly had multiple choice exams or hand-in typed essays. the only handwritten thing i did was my stat exam which is more thinking quickly than handwriting. ah note taking, seriously, you'll figure it out when you get to uni. you might anticipate using one style, then find it just doesn't work for you. or you'll just keep changing throughout the year. just print lecture notes and annotate them, that's easiest. and no laptops, there is nothing more annoying to me than sitting in a quiet lecture with the lecturer speaking and 10 people tap tap tapping away! or worse, just facebooking or youtubing with headphones and then laughing or talking throughout the lecture.

but mainly, just enjoy your months of freedom while you can! uni will start sucking up your time soon enough.

lynton

HSC
Has anybody learnt shorthand writing? I reckon it would be easier especially considering i cant write fast. But then again ive heard its like learning a new language :S

ashllis92

HSC
I know that for the hsc i didn't learn proper shorthand but i kind of made up my own based on msn speak ie. gr8, +, etc., ...

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Most people make up their own shorthand. You'll find you adapt to the topics and subjects you do.

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
Personally, I'd say yes! Best thing I did this year was buy one of those small laptops (already had a big laptop at home) and began taking that with me every day to uni. I found that my note taking was a lot better and more consistent and a life saver during exam time. My handwriting is shocking and I type much much faster.
Same for me, and very true. If you do type a lot faster than you write, getting a netbook is the way to go. My netbook was a lifesaver in some of my lectures during first semester this year, where the lecture notes provided basically had nothing more than headings, and the lecturer would ramble on with all the actual content...meaning if we didn't take decent notes (rather than annotating pre-provided lecture slides) we were screwed.
That being said, taking notes on a laptop/netbook is completely useless for subjects involving lots of diagrams or mathematical notation (eg chemistry, maths subjects, physics I assume) and handwriting is better in that case.

netbook hmmmmm...what's a good brand?
HP Mini 1001TU works excellently for me :) It's nice and compact but still has large, almost full-size keys, which for me was an absolute must.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)