Too young for Uni? (1 Viewer)

Luke559

HSC
I have just finished year 12 and am 18 in Feb. I have never left home for any more than 2 weeks in my entire life and have lived all the time with friends and family. I really want to go to Uni next year (cant defer my music degree :S) but feel slightly scared about how young I am when going to uni (just 18) and when considering the fact that I am now moving away from home. I need your opinions!! Would anyone suggest waiting a year to "Grow up" a little.. or are most people in the same position as me in terms of leaving home when only 18? It all seems like such a big leap :S

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Most kids going into uni next year will be 18 years old, myself included. And there will be many in your situation who have to go university interstate - and hence will be leaving home, and living on or near campus. You'll still be able to visit your family periodically, though, on weekends, or even during holidays. You might even enjoy being away from family. :)

laila09

HSC
Your plenty old enough. Most people starting uni will be only young.
I know It's scary but you will be fine. Everyone has to move on at some stage!
Good luck! :eek:

shady145

Banned
HSC
you'll be fine some kids go when much younger... so ive heard

Luke559

HSC
Im sure Ill be okay :S. As someone that isn't too good in social situations its still a little intimidating though.... Im sure Ill enjoy being away from the parents tho, lol

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I have just finished year 12 and am 18 in Feb. I have never left home for any more than 2 weeks in my entire life and have lived all the time with friends and family. I really want to go to Uni next year (cant defer my music degree :S) but feel slightly scared about how young I am when going to uni (just 18) and when considering the fact that I am now moving away from home. I need your opinions!! Would anyone suggest waiting a year to "Grow up" a little.. or are most people in the same position as me in terms of leaving home when only 18? It all seems like such a big leap :S
I was 17 when I started university. And I didn't turn 18 until September of that first year.

As for moving out of your household, it should help you 'grow up' as you say.

At the end of the day, you live your own life.

Aeriff

HSC
I was 17 when I started university. And I didn't turn 18 until September of that first year.

As for moving out of your household, it should help you 'grow up' as you say.

At the end of the day, you live your own life.
That's me right now, it's crazy shit. As everyone's said in the thread - go for it. I intend to tackle this coming year head on and hope for the best.. after all that's all you can really do anyway.

mizukiyanagi

HSC
you shouldn't worry about being too young. Most of the people going there are 18 anyways. Also I'll be attending Uni at 17 and will be turning 18 half way through the year. Also living alone is just a matter of knowing how to take care of yourself and getting used to it. You shouldn't be too worried about it.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
lol my mates uni tutor for computing was 15..

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
I wouldn't worry about being too young...I'm moving out and I'm still 16. We'll learn to cope...?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Everyone goes through a steep learning curve when they enter the real world and go to uni, everyone else is going through the same thing and is about the same age. Everyone gets a little nervous, you'll be fine, its time to grow up, there will be some parts of it you'll love!

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
Im sure Ill be okay :S. As someone that isn't too good in social situations its still a little intimidating though....
Heh, I was exactly the same when I started uni. It's amazing how quickly you adapt and get used to it though, I became more confident and a lot more independent compared to how I was in year 12. I'm sure you will too :)

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
It really depends if you are a 'mature' 18 yo or 'immature' 18yo. Some 18yo have alot of independence (inccluding myself) and could handle moving away.
Where are you moving btw? I mean, is it a place where you can visit parents on some w/e?

Saying that though, i graduated in 2008 and deffered a year. I think that i matured even more over this year, also gained even more independence. Now i cannot wait to move away and begin uni.

It's all relative to the individual.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
ima same age as you and hell immature,,,,,GOD HELP US =P
haha do you mean OP or me? i'm 19 now. I was ready at 18. I have a friend who just finished first year (B Physiotherapy) & He's 24 lol Just had other things going in his life and thought to himself 'damn i better do something' lol Lived in brazil for 6 months, has done everything and is perhaps the funniest person that i have ever met (especially hitting the clubs etc).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)