• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Tutoring Centre Pay Rates??? (1 Viewer)

zeolite

HSC
Hi everyone,

I've been working at a tutoring centre for over 2 years. Over this time I've tried to be an ideal employee, working long hours (up to 60 hours a week during the holidays), coming in on very short notice, and taking on a lot of responsibility beyond what would be expected in my position. I also try my best to produce perfect work, and get regular praise from our customers. The problem is that I have never once received a pay rise, I'm still on $15/hr, which was good when I was 17, but now I'm 20 and more experienced it's starting to look a little low.

Anyway, I've decided I'm going to have a chat to my manager about this and see if anything can be done. The problem is that he comes across as being the kind of person who would do anything to avoid spending money, and so I want to be well equipped as I can. So I was wondering if people could give me an idea of what I'd be earning in other places (tutoring centres and other industries) in my circumstances.

Huge thanks in advance :)

[Edit] Oh and there's a bit of a problem, I'm not the only worker in this situation. So to be fair, they'd probably have to give everyone a raise. The older workers (who started a year before me) were going to have a large meeting about this, but it never happened. Most of them have since moved on to other jobs, but I'm not quite ready for that yet...

Last edited:

izzy_xo

HSC
well i used to work as an assistant maths tutor for a tutoring center for
children up to year eight .
when i worked there i received $15 when i was 15-16.
i also only worked approx 6 hrs a week.

hope this gives you a rough idea.

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
I do some tutoring from time to time (Like a 2nd job) I get $25 an hour (I'm 18) and I generally have to teach in classes of around 10.

HSC
i was in the exact same sitch as you, 15 p/h.

didn't complain though. degree related plus i needed the cash.

Dino400

HSC
i was in the exact same sitch as you, 15 p/h.

didn't complain though. degree related plus i needed the cash.
Hey guys how do u apply for jobs at tutoring centres? Any centres in particular haivng vacancies.

Thanks

danal353

HSC
You'd earn more for private tutoring. For one-to-one tutoring I get $25 an hour, and for a group of two it's $20 each.

badquinton304

HSC
You'd earn more for private tutoring. For one-to-one tutoring I get $25 an hour, and for a group of two it's $20 each.
Yeah thats true. Its better for someone like myself who only needs a bit of money and does not like consuming energy. I just plan on doing little jobs like that that have good (money)/(energy + time) ratios, also those sort of jobs are far more flexible.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
Hi everyone,

I've been working at a tutoring centre for over 2 years. Over this time I've tried to be an ideal employee, working long hours (up to 60 hours a week during the holidays), coming in on very short notice, and taking on a lot of responsibility beyond what would be expected in my position. I also try my best to produce perfect work, and get regular praise from our customers. The problem is that I have never once received a pay rise, I'm still on $15/hr, which was good when I was 17, but now I'm 20 and more experienced it's starting to look a little low.

Anyway, I've decided I'm going to have a chat to my manager about this and see if anything can be done. The problem is that he comes across as being the kind of person who would do anything to avoid spending money, and so I want to be well equipped as I can. So I was wondering if people could give me an idea of what I'd be earning in other places (tutoring centres and other industries) in my circumstances.

Huge thanks in advance :)

[Edit] Oh and there's a bit of a problem, I'm not the only worker in this situation. So to be fair, they'd probably have to give everyone a raise. The older workers (who started a year before me) were going to have a large meeting about this, but it never happened. Most of them have since moved on to other jobs, but I'm not quite ready for that yet...
what?
that's ridiculous.

you should be making at least $25/hr.
tutoring is in big demand

ravengirl

HSC
You should definitely be getting more. Last year i worked at TutoringPro in Liverpool teaching Year 10 english to about 8 students. It was or 1.5 hours and my pay rate was $50 an hour. Sometiems i'd teach year 5 english too. I MISS THIS JOB! I went overseas for 3 months and I got replaced. HOLD ON TO YOUR TUTORING JOBS FOR DEAR LIFE !!! This was an amazing job, i'm not even doing an education related degree. Ahhh, the good old days.

Kiim2507

HSC
Wow dude even I earn more then you and I work at KFC lol you should definitely insist on a pay rise if they don't give in then quit. I'm sure you could find another tutoring job easily esp with your experience or advertise privately you could make $25+ an hour.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Moving on to private tutoring or group tutoring without the tutoring centre would be your best bet. With your experience, you could earn a lot more than $15/hr.

If you still want to stay with the place, make sure you do some research as to how tutors are paid at other companies with the same level of experience, etc and bring it up with your manager as a group like you said

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)