Union Board Elections 2006 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfowitz

, now also hated by Jews!
HSC
snakeoils said:
Good results all round. :)

Interesting to hear that Mark was the first candidate across the line. Must have been the cowboy hat.
I just voted from him 'cause he wasn't a dickhead commie.
That's what scared me off Roz and Rose. Rose sounded like the girl who cried after I beat her in Year 9 debating and Roz reminds me of Julia Gillard. Monica's 'Hope' for union spiel sounded really religious. Quah was pretty much Quah. And Tom and Tim just didn't come across as engaging board members.

Props for WAF. Even though the elections stand as they are, he's still out there supporting the horse he lost on. That takes guts.

gerhard

HSC
my prediction for the union;

this yearnothing changes at all. fees next year are hundreds of dollars. about 15% of people join the union. the main people who join the union are left wingy protestor types who live close to campus. union loses alot of money as barely anyone joins, but in union elections all the left wingy protestor types vote left wingers back in again. nothing will change. maybe they will decide the union doesnt do enough and introduce something new that will raise fees even more. then after 5-10 years of this, union goes bankrupt

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
usually i dont swing this way, but i would have liked monica to have gotten up

gerhard

HSC
townie said:
usually i dont swing this way, but i would have liked monica to have gotten up
im actually the same. would never have thought id be supporting a liberal candidate, but here i am.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Re: Union Board Elections 2006 - UPDATED 26/4

melbournian said:
Doesn't change the fact that you still lost.

A dog backed by NOLS or Labor Right would get more votes.
Your point? Elections are won on the strength of their campaigners on the day, and we had half the club away (in particular the experienced half) in Canberra :/

Last edited:

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC

Nice excuse man, you are totally right, you would have won stunningly had only those people been here.

Having said that, if it is true that Danielle got on, that is kind of crap. She had no policies other than "more spending towards environmental issues".

...wtf?

I actually did not expect people to vote for her...there are more trots on campus than I thought.

gerhard

HSC

Im assuming she stole the engineering vote from Suttie.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Nah she didn't get that many engo votes. The Suttie problem is quite another altogether, based on the fact that this year most first year engos don't have classes on Wednesdays.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Egronk said:
Nice excuse man, you are totally right, you would have won stunningly had only those people been here.

Having said that, if it is true that Danielle got on, that is kind of crap. She had no policies other than "more spending towards environmental issues".

...wtf?

I actually did not expect people to vote for her...there are more trots on campus than I thought.
You launch sarcasm at me for saying that Monica didn't get up because of a lack of campaigners, then concede that Danielle did because she had lots of people? Nice contradiction.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC

withoutaface said:
Nah she didn't get that many engo votes. The Suttie problem is quite another altogether, based on the fact that this year most first year engos don't have classes on Wednesdays.
Wow, you could go alot of conspiracy theories on that one! ;)

gerhard said:
im actually the same. would never have thought id be supporting a liberal candidate, but here i am.
I'm the same, I got a lot of crap from people for voting for her, but I can't understand why people are like this. We live in a democracy, with two parties so that we can have choice. If one isn't doing the job (and Labor hasn't been in our union) then why continue to vote Labor?

In the same way that I would vote Liberal at State level (but I won't because Iemma is currently the lesser of two evils) I would vote Labor at Federal level. EDIT: This is because a right-wing Christian Liberal Government will be more detrimental in the long run.

Monica was taking a sensible line on Union sustainability post-VSU (and isn't dangerous... much) just as Mark and Roz were. Thats why she got my (2nd preference because I knew that she wasn't going to do well in preferences like the others) vote.

Last edited:

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC

I sure as hell couldn't count on the Con vote, because if only 10% of Con students could even be assed to get the Access card, then I sure as hell aren't going to get that many people voting for me there. It was stupid and arrogant to assume that Suttie could win just on the Engineering vote, and it cost him his position on the new Board.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
gerhard said:
my prediction for the union;

this yearnothing changes at all. fees next year are hundreds of dollars. about 15% of people join the union. the main people who join the union are left wingy protestor types who live close to campus. union loses alot of money as barely anyone joins, but in union elections all the left wingy protestor types vote left wingers back in again. nothing will change. maybe they will decide the union doesnt do enough and introduce something new that will raise fees even more. then after 5-10 years of this, union goes bankrupt
Firstly, I don't think the Union will die in the 3-30 years it will take the Labor party to repeal VSU, as they almost certainly will if they gain a majority government. Several reasons for this. While students pay over $1 million directly in fees to the Union (a source of revenue that will drop to at most $150000 next year), it also takes in significant income from property and investment. The Union earns at least the same over just renting out space in Wentworth to shops like Donut King, the NAB and the like. Even after member discounts, it also makes significant profit through Union-owned outlets like the Campus Shop and the food outlets throughout the Uni.

Secondly, the Union Board is just a rubber stamp for the General Manager and the other paid staff. Of course the Board has extensive powers (otherwise I wouldn't have run for it), but they won't be given carte blanche access to the millions of dollars the Union controls.

In the latest The Update, I have a piece on a related issue, which I'll paste here.

Cost Cutting Leaves A Bad Taste
Andrew Quah
ISA Chair

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I for one am pretty annoyed at the latest from the hallowed halls of our student organisations. In the Sun-Herald (5 March), I came across an article featuring our so-called representatives talking about the evil VSU, and how student services left and right are already being cut, an entire year out from the introduction of VSU at USYD. I’d like to know why student services are being cut while the SRC and Union continue to fund political activism at an ever-increasing rate. Why are clubs and societies being denied more funding every day, while our SRC spent $30000 in phone calls in 2005? Why is more money than ever being spent on media campaigns, while services to affiliate campuses are being cut, prices of food on the increase and student activities curtailed or cancelled?

Our student groups might take a lesson from our friends down south. When VSU comes in at the beginning of next semester, the Tasmania University Union will continue to offer FREE access to advocacy, welfare and advice services to all students. For as little as $60 a year, it is intended that students will be able to receive the same member discounts campus-wide that we pay almost ten times that for. They can do this, because at TUU, student funding actually goes back towards students (something our own representatives could learn something about). As implausible as it may sound, their fees don’t just disappear into dubious political causes like ours do. It is painfully obvious that our student organisations need reform. And the ISA is dedicated to bringing about that reform. But we desperately need your help. If there’s any one thing you can do to enrich your university experience, it’s to contribute to the student community. Join an ISA collective, get involved with some Clubs and Societies – enjoy them while you can, and don’t just let it all pass you by.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Phanatical said:
I sure as hell couldn't count on the Con vote, because if only 10% of Con students could even be assed to get the Access card, then I sure as hell aren't going to get that many people voting for me there. It was stupid and arrogant to assume that Suttie could win just on the Engineering vote, and it cost him his position on the new Board.
1. Suttie's gotten up before on the engo vote. As have Andrew Tanner, Charles Perrottet and Jackson Fan.
2. If we ran him on main campus too, he'd be stealing votes from Monica.

transcendent

HSC
N/A

does it really matter what puppet we prop up each year? i don't notice any differences to the way the university is run. how much does this election waste in funds, seriously?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

More gelatos!

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

transcendent said:
does it really matter what puppet we prop up each year? i don't notice any differences to the way the university is run. how much does this election waste in funds, seriously?
The candidates fund their own campaigns.

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC

withoutaface said:
The candidates fund their own campaigns.
Not quite what transcendent was asking. The election would still cost the union a fair amount of money - the returning officer, the polling booth attendants, ballot boxes/papers, chupa chups etc.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

That's really not much money when you think about it.
Chupa Chups = about $180 for 1000
Staff = $20/hour each
etc.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC

The thousands of full colour election guides...

Actually, if anything the elections reinforce to students that the Union (supposedly) represents them. It's the only way most students really get a say about the Union (and most students don't take it up), so I do think it's important and (as VSU comes in) will do a lot towards bringing in new suckers into the membership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)