University 'Prestige' Rankings (1 Viewer)

rayy_bann

HSC
Hello Guys!

First, I'm making this post out of curiousity. So it's not motivated to shame some universities, whilst putting others up.

I'm just wanting to know what you guys think in relation to what the most 'prestigious' universities in Sydney are. I've always been to a so called 'poor'/'socio economically disadvantaged' school in the western suburbs in my life. Being able to go to university has sparked my interest in choosing a more prestigious university to at least feel the difference. Yes some of you may say it's irrelevant to getting a good education or job. However, I just want to see how it feels :)

I also realise that 'prestige' can be subjective. But when I speak of prestige in relation to universtities there must be some that stand out for several reasons. The aspects I'm basically looking for are:
1. history of university (may include establishment and years running)
2. famous lecturers/teachers/alumni
3. the state of the school grounds (may be in terms of size and quality)
4. large number of graduates getting jobs
5. Higher ATAR cutoffs for courses etc

If there 'may' even be formal rankings on some sites that would help as well!

Thanks guys!

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
As you said, prestige is subjective so there would be no formalised ranking for it. It's pretty much something that someone must decide on their own.

If you did go to a "prestigious" university, I guarantee it won't be on your mind when you actually attend. I like to tell people that I'm a fourth generation USYD'er but I only do that as a joke when contrasting different universities. People who take prestige seriously when comparing tertiary institutions are either tossers or are simply ignorant.

When I go to USYD, I don't see prestige but I see a reputable university which has built it on foundations like research, a wide array of degree programs, active staff and up-to-date facilities.

In respect to prestige in Australia, it's just a marketing tool. It may hold some weight in other countries such as the United States, but doesn't mean shit here.

MW4521

HSC
N/A
Hey there, I think university of Sydney will be perfect for what you are looking for :)
1) said to be one of the oldest unis on Australia
2) lecturers are said to be good if not great(only heard)
3) grounds are amazing, has its own post code. And atmosphere is quite good too
4) I would assume they have large amounts of graduates get job due to their prestige
5) very high ATAR cutoffs e.g 99.95 for medicine, 99.7 for combined law, 98 for adv. math

Hope I helped! But also consider the other great unis like unsw :)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey there, I think university of Sydney will be perfect for what you are looking for :)
1) said to be one of the oldest unis on Australia
2) lecturers are said to be good if not great(only heard)
3) grounds are amazing, has its own post code. And atmosphere is quite good too
4) I would assume they have large amounts of graduates get job due to their prestige
5) very high ATAR cutoffs e.g 99.95 for medicine, 99.7 for combined law, 98 for adv. math

Hope I helped! But also consider the other great unis like unsw :)
1) Is the oldest university
2) Faculty-dependent; case by case basis
3) Agreed but it isn't all sandstone. E.g. Carslaw is real dank.
4) Any firm which is hiring students on the basis on prestige must fire the HR manager immediately.
5) Indicator of demand, not prestige.

gwenwiver

HSC
N/A
As you enter university you need to realize that university lecturers do not have a similar role to teachers at high school.

Academics are suppose to be researchers first and lecturers second. Promotions are based mainly on research.

Check out the criteria being used to decide who will be kept when academic staff at Sydney University are made redundant in 2012
http://www.crikey.com.au/2011/12/13/...ey-university/
Also see http://www.smh.com.au/national/educa...218-1p0sw.html

Note in paragraph 1 Only those Scholars who do not meet onerous research output criteria may be offered forced redundancy packages.
Note: Academics who have four or more publications to their name over a three-year period are "safe"
In Sydney prestige is, to a large extent, based on the age of the university. Mostly the prestige of universities is based on the research done by the academics. Sydney was established first, UNSW second, Macquarie third. Sydney has had more time to develop its research profile.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
As you enter university you need to realize that university lecturers do not have a similar role to teachers at high school.

Academics are suppose to be researchers first and lecturers second. Promotions are based mainly on research.

Check out the criteria being used to decide who will be kept when academic staff at Sydney University are made redundant in 2012
http://www.crikey.com.au/2011/12/13/...ey-university/
Also see http://www.smh.com.au/national/educa...218-1p0sw.html

Note in paragraph 1 Only those Scholars who do not meet onerous research output criteria may be offered forced redundancy packages.
Note: Academics who have four or more publications to their name over a three-year period are "safe"
In Sydney prestige is, to a large extent, based on the age of the university. Mostly the prestige of universities is based on the research done by the academics. Sydney was established first, UNSW second, Macquarie third. Sydney has had more time to develop its research profile.
Good post.

I've seen a lot of people on BoS cite university rankings such as the ones released by THES or QS without understanding what they actually indicate. They are generally a measure of research output rather than variables which are relevant to prospective undergraduates. USYD has built a strong culture of research because of the length we have been operating, thus giving us time to collect some of the best of the best from around the world.

rayy_bann

HSC
Ok thank you guys for the input,

So Usyd from what seems to be pretty obvious, is generally considered the most if not one of the most prestigious universities in Sydney due to several factors as MW4521 said. So yes that would be good to consider especially if you are looking for prestige and can make it to one of the courses. Which I unfortunately cannot since I only received a Mid ninetys ATAR and my main course preference is combined law.

Yeah @Ozko, I do realise that people who choose based on prestige only can be ignorant. I know that some people just choose one of the less ATAR demanding courses in Usyd just to be called as you say a 'Usyd'er'. It's sad because there are so many people out there as well who get higher ATARs than them but do not make it into such 'prestigious universities' because of there more ATAR demanding courses such as Law/ Medicine.

And yes Gwenwiver, I have heard that the teachers in university are totally different to those at high school, so I'm going to expect totally different.

Seeing as I said, that I won't be able to make it in to Usyd, how about the other universities, namely UNSW, MACQ, UTS, UWS etc? What are peoples' general perception of these universtities as a whole and in relation to prestige 'ranking'?

Thanks guys!

rayy_bann

HSC
Hey guys I do understand the argument of perceived 'prestige' in universities to be drawn by the age of the university, thus giving them such great time over other unis in relation to research output.

But of course, this does do great things for the university, and allows them to expand in every aspect even in relation to social perceptions/prestige. So I guess that I don't really care how rankings are established, even if it isn't truly indicative of teaching or student ability. Sorry, I should have scrapped that part asking about teachers etc.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Prestige rankings?

I'd say:

1. Sydney
2. UNSW
3. Macquarie
4. UWS

the rest are a bit of jumble below

But if you pick a 'prestigious' university over one which gives you what you want, you're not doing it right.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
That's some obscure ranks.
Edit: Whoops... Shadowdude had four options.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Perhaps, but I think the general impression on how 'good' each university is pretty much the top three. I'm not sure where UWS ranks along with CSU and all the other rural unis but... that's from general impressions at my school and from what I've heard.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Crap, forgot about UTS... probably above UWS and below Macquarie.

rayy_bann

HSC
hmm okays. Seeing many other people's impressions and my initial thoughts, yours matches up.

DavDav

Where is the Love?
HSC
Uni Grad
Unless you have attended every university within the Sydney region no one can really say which uni is the most 'prestigious' or otherwise you're just speaking for yourself from a subjective viewpoint.

However ANU, the Australian National University in Canberra is considered the most globally recognised in terms of its intensive research based degrees and high quality of professors i.e. there are apparently 6 alumni and staff that are Nobel laureates which could account to your so called 'prestige' factor.

Personally just go to whatever uni cause in the end the one what works the hardest and has lady luck on their side ends up making the dollars.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I love how everybody puts UWS last.

But then again, this is disregarding the random ones like Notre Dame, ACU etc.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I love how everybody puts UWS last.

But then again, this is disregarding the random ones like Notre Dame, ACU etc.
UWS last in the major metropolitan universities... and then the rest gets a bit random.

twistedrebel

HSC
here how it works

law/arts- usyd
engineering/science/commerce-UNSW
med whereever

anything else quit while your a head.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Hello Guys!

First, I'm making this post out of curiousity. So it's not motivated to shame some universities, whilst putting others up.

I'm just wanting to know what you guys think in relation to what the most 'prestigious' universities in Sydney are. I've always been to a so called 'poor'/'socio economically disadvantaged' school in the western suburbs in my life. Being able to go to university has sparked my interest in choosing a more prestigious university to at least feel the difference. Yes some of you may say it's irrelevant to getting a good education or job. However, I just want to see how it feels :)I also realise that 'prestige' can be subjective. But when I speak of prestige in relation to universtities there must be some that stand out for several reasons. The aspects I'm basically looking for are:
1. history of university (may include establishment and years running)
2. famous lecturers/teachers/alumni
3. the state of the school grounds (may be in terms of size and quality)
4. large number of graduates getting jobs
5. Higher ATAR cutoffs for courses etc

If there 'may' even be formal rankings on some sites that would help as well!

Thanks guys!
i dont get it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)