UNSW Subject Reviews. (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
MATH1081 -
Ease: 7/10 - I don't get how people can think this subject is too tough, yes it is tough but if you put in the work it really isn't that bad.
Lecturer(s): Angel - 10/10 very good lecturer, engages the students and occasionally goes off on short, interesting tangents without straying from what he's trying to teach.
Jefferies: 5/10 - Hate his notes and isn't very engaging. You can tell he knows what he's talking about but has trouble articulating it well. My tutor is 10/10 also, luckily enough.
Interest: 8/10 - some parts are 10/10 here (proofs is my fave) other parts aren't as interesting.
Overall: 8/10
This is interesting because I'm about to enter my Discrete lecture and I pretty much agree with the lecturer ratings.

R

Ranga1

MGMT1001-Managing Organisations and People.

Ease: 6/10 - The material itself seems extremely trivial, most of it is just bullshitting about "effiecency and effectiveness". The only MAJOR problem of the course is that they don't give you even a slight idea about what to expect in the final exam. Also, if you are shit at writting (like me) then you will lose a fair few marks. Also the Spot Collections they do are shit, I wasted so much time doing them and they didn't give me any marks for them. The tutor was strict as and just gave everyone zero :| .

Lecturers: Bernard Gan and David Cheng 10/10 - Definately the most committed and approachable lecturers that I have had (out of the 25 or so lecturers in total I have had over the past 2yrs).

Interest: 6/10- The lectures were well prepared and they were interesting (the only problem was that I do not believe they made me any more prepared for the final exam! They might as well have given me the final exam in the week 2 tutorial). The tutorials seemed like a waste of time. Some of the activities they make you do are just a waste of time. The only reason I went was for the tutorial participation marks, otherwise it prepared me no more the final exam.

Overall: 4/10 - A really strange course. It is the last week of semester and I still know hardly anything about what to expect on the final exam. The subject needs to make its "point" known early in the semester. I got screwed out of tons of easy spot collection marks and wasted my time coming to lectures and tutorials. No wonder this subject had the lowest lecture attendance of all my sbjects this semester. Had I known they would be so useless when it came to the final exam then I never would have came! I will definately not be doing anymore MGMT subjects in my degree , the school of MGMT is lucky that MGMT1001 is a compulsory course for commerce students, otherwise no one would do it!

ECON1101- Microeconomics 1

Ease: 9/10 - This subject is fairly easy if you have done year 11 HSC economics (and even if you haven't its still fairly easy).

Lectures:

Peter Nichols - 8/10 - He is a pretty good lecturer and certainly very knowledgable. He is a little strange in that he answers his own questions as soon as he asks them, but he is still alright.

Scott French - 7/10 - He knows his stuff pretty well (though he was a bit sloppy in his attendance for the first 2 lectures). He is not the smartest cookie in the jar though (he needed a calculator to evaluate things such as (1/2) x 2000 x 2 .

Interest: : 9/10 - This is a very interesting course and is a very good review of year 11 economics material with a bit more attention to detail. The pass classes for this subject were also very useful in learning the material.

Overall: 9/10 - Fair assessment methods (with a very simple midsession exam worth 15% of course mark) and it is fairly easy. Most likely going to do ECON1102 Macroeconomics next semester.

ACCT1511- Accounting 1B

Ease: 8/10 - They are certainly very rigorous when it comes to this subject, there are no part marks in the exams, you either have a 100% correct answer and get the marks or you don't get any marks, a 99% correct answer gets you nothing! It certainly draws on everything from Accounting 1A , so all the more incentive to do well at earlier subjects, as they make later subjects so much easier! If you don't know journal entries or T accounts by now then you are screwed when it comes to cash flow (and T accounts and cash flow are fairly easy , in my opinion, so I don't know why people struggle). The last few weeks of the course (financial statement analysis, costing and budgeting seem like very bad topics to have at the end of the semester) are a bit challenging. There is a lot of material to cover like 2weeks before the final. No wonder people do bad at it in the final!, people hardly have any chance to learn it.

Lecturers:

Per Tronnes: 9/10 - Knowledgable and tries hard to make accounting fun.

Victoria Clout: 8/10 - Knowledgable, just needs to learn to not take students talking in her lectures too seriously. One week she kinda blew up at some people talking.

Leon Wong (aka. Dr Evil): 9/10 - Very knowledgable and a good lecturer in charge. He is very strict, but he is pretty fair. The only thing I don't really like is his "don't write outside the box" policy. It is a bit stressful trying to cram up your answers into a box (and be threatened with zero marks if your answer goes outside the box).

Interest: 8/10 - While the last three or so topics are the hardest, they are the most interesting as costing and budgeting have a lot of applications in business.

Overall: 9/10 - Most likely going to do Management Accounting 1 next semester.

FINS1613- Business Finance

Ease: 8/10 - The concepts themselves are relatively straight forward (e.g. NPV, IRR, Capital Budgeting, Expected value etc.). Even if you are a noob at maths you can still do this subject. It involves very little maths (2 unit hsc maths at most , all you need is basic knowledge of compound interest and the equation of a straight line (for CAPM) ). The thing I did not like with this subject was the fact that ALL of the assessment (including the final worth 60% of total course mark) was/is multiple choice. Having 100% multiple choice assessment sounds a whole lot better than it really is! There are lots of ways to trick you with multiple choice (especially since they give 5 answer options instead of the traditional 4 , that makes a HUGE difference!) They make all of the answers very similar and you really have to know every detail to get even a semi good mark. There are no part marks with multiple choice so if there is a 4mark question and you make one mistake then you lose all of the 4marks (instead of just losing 1mark, as it would be if it were a short answers).

Lecturers: 7/10 - They were pretty knowledgable. The only problem I have is that they are way too lazy when it comes to assessing. You can't just have 100% multiple choice assessment, talk about being lazy! Even with the multiple choice quizzes it still took 2weeks to get our quiz results back (for something that would have taken the tutor no more than 15minutes to mark, all they had to do was tick or cross 6 boxes!).

Interest: 8/10 - it was pretty interesting (particularly the capital budgeting topics and how firms value projects).

Overall: 7/10 - course wasn't that bad but I do not appreciate the laziness of pure multiple choice assessment. I have heard there are a few other 100% multiple choice assessed subjects in finance, if they cannot come up with good assessments then I question how good their teaching is. Also, they don't have "pass" classes like Micro or Accounting and they have hardly any consultations. I was thinking of majoring in Finance at the start of this semester, but after what I have seen in this subject I think I will scrap finance altogether and do actuarial major and no more finance subjects at all (surely I can get pretty much the same jobs with both).

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I have to agree that Finance is a bit... iffy at times.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
MATH1151

Ease:
1/10, I found it really hard. I struggled alot.
Interest: 9/10 I found most of the stuff quite interesting while studying them myself
Lecturers: Dr Jie Du 5/10, I seriously had no idea what he was on about. But then again it wasn't really his fault. It was my fault for not preparing for lecture.
Dr Tran 6/10 same story but at least he helped me with some extra questions.

ECON1101
Interest: 7/10 VERY APPLICABLE to real life. I remember how my day-to-day communication started to involve the use of "benefit", "cost", "marginal benefit" and etc. (all those economics terms) but it is not very fun
Overall: 6/10. it's ok. i didn't like it tho
Lecturers: Nichols is alright (7/10). He is sometimes lost but he is ok. But I don't really go to lectures so yeah.
Ease: much easier than maths. around 8/10?

ACCT1501

Ease: 9/10. I found this subject quite easy. Just playing around with numbers.
Lecturers: Yeongdeok Lim (10/10) Legendary Lecturer. He even has his own appreciation society with over a hundred fans. He is one of those lectuerers who make you an independent thinker and student.
Overall: 9/10 one of my favourite subject
interest: credit and debiting stuff wasn't too bad. 8/10

MGMT1001 OTHERWISE KNOWN AS COMM1001 (COMMON SENSE)

Ease: 10/10
. it's just common sense with some jargons
Interest: 5/10 games we played were ok. but it's boring.
Overall: 6/10 final exam GG
lectuerer: WE HAD LECTURER FOR MGMT?
This is so funny. i cannot believe i wrote this stuff....ended up with HD in MATHS, ACCT and D in Management + eco LOL

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
yeongdeok lim was supershit, his accent is so boring
what. come on, the only better lecturer was Per Tronnes because he put surfing music in breaks and made it interesting.

Lim was awesome. I thought his accent kept me engaged in the material.

firespin

HSC
N/A
<B>ECON1202 QUANTITATIVE ANALYSIS</b>

Ease: 8/10
The content is quite straight forward; they require a minimum 60 in 2U HSC maths, so if you did 3/4U, it’s easy marks. If you did General, you’re screwed, particularly the large calculus topic. The in-tute tests aren’t that hard, I got full marks for all 3 tests. You can also get great marks in the group computing assignment, just make sure you’re in a good group. I had a shit group and ended up working by myself and I managed to get respectable marks. If you struggle with maths, this course will probably be difficult as it's quite fast-paced.

Lecturer:
Chatterjee – 5/10 Most people complained that she talks to quickly and simply reads off the lecture slides. Also, she hardly used the mic. I didn’t attend a lot of the lectures because there was one lecture stream and it was during fucking inconvenient times; 4-5pm and 5-6pm especially since the lectures usually last 30 minutes.
In short: boring.

Interest: 8/10 I enjoy calculus and matrices so this course was pretty cool. Also the PASS classes and leaders are great, I highly recommend the PASS classes. Most people attended the PASS classes instead of the lectures, lol.

<B>ECON1401 ECONOMIC ANALYSIS
</b>
You have a final assignment and you are given 5 assignments (best 4 are counted) with 2 weeks to complete them over the semester. The assignment questions are straight forward, though there’s no marking criteria given which can be a pain. You are sometimes given homework, I remember in the first week, there was no readings/homework, the first lecture was purely admin. The mid-semester exam was alright, no killer questions. According to the lecturer-in-charge, only one person has failed this course and that’s because the person didn’t withdraw from the course, so it’s all good.

Lecturers: 9/10
You are given different lecturers per topic and I thought all of them were pretty good and competent.

Interest: 7/10 This course was so-so for me. However, the tutorials are extremely engaging and there’s a lot of class participation and group discussions so tutorials are never boring.

Last edited:

MooshyMoosh

HSC
GEOS2291 - Ground and Surface Water
Content: 6/10
Lecturers: Bryce 7/10, Kingsford 6/10, Baker 7/10, Adam 6/10
Overall: 6/10
Exam was a killer.

GEOS3141: Mineral and Energy Resources
Content: 8/10
Lecturers: Too many to rate, overall were 7-8/10
No exam (for geos) and interesting topics.

GEOS2051 - Introductory Geophysics
Lecturer: Palmer 7/10
He trails from the point at times and can be a bit boring, but he's a good guy.
Overall: 6/10
So much theory. So much Excel. So little practical.

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
PSYC1011 - Psychology 1B

Content: 7/10 (Perception and Animal learning suck!)
Lecturers: Most are 9/10, perception lady 4/10 (snorefest), Animal learning 2/10 (Kill me!)
Overall: 7/10

Mid/Final Exam = Easy if you cram well..

Report = Pain in the ass.. still don't know what the hell is mindfulness have to do with inattentional blindness.

Tutorial participation = Easy 9% but some experiment suck like the air puffing experiment (cute Asian experimenter tho :p)..

Group presentation = same thing as the report but you have to design a new experiment revolving the report question.

AVIA1401- Introduction to Human Factors

Content: 5/10 (2/3 topics related or revolve around PSYC1A and 1B stuff)
Lecturers: 5/10 (Not really engaging, monotone voice.. ended up facebooking or angry bird most of the time)
Overall: 5/10 (boring, waste of time, meet alot of cool kids tho)

Mid exam = 40 Mcs (easy if you know your stuff)

Group presentation = 50/50, depending if you got good teammate.

Final exam = 30 Mcs and 4 "short essay" (Mcs = same question from mid exam... 4 short essay = easy to bullshit something)

Crim1011- Introduction to Criminal Justice

Content: 2/10
Lecturer:2/10 (monotone voice, slow and boring).
Overall: 1/10

So much pointless reading, pointless tutorial for "debating", mid semester exam consist of 10 mcs for a 25% grade, vague assignment questions and no one attended the lecture.. especially after week 5/6.

Excuse for the poor grammar/spelling.. multitasking here : /..

unholybuddha

HSC
ENGG1811: Computing for Engineers
Content: 7/10
Lecturers: Whale 7/10
Pretty decent excel stuff to start off with but VBA becomes a killer. Make sure you do past exams if you wanna do decent.

GEOS1111: Fundamentals of Geology
Content: 5/10
Lecturers: Lennox: 7/10
Pretty lame subject. If you wanna do well just read all the past exams you can find. You'll notice theyre pretty much the same

MATH1241: Higher Maths 1B
Content: 9/10
Lecturer: Tisdell 10/10, Britz 4/10
Overall: 9/10
Pretty easy. Just do your HW and keep up

MINE1300: Engineering Mechanics
Lecturer: Watson 8/10 Sit up front if you wanna hear him
Really easy. Copy the smart guys or w/e. I got 56% for midsem and still ended up with a HD

curious-crony

HSC
SART1502 - Drawing
Top notch course. 10/10 for everything except perhaps ease because sometimes the amount of homework due each week is difficult to achieve, especially if you tend to work slowly when making art (like I do). But even then, the homework is generally fun and you can complete it while you're watching TV or something.

Hi, I'm interested in taking SART1502 as a gen ed course. But I'm actually quite nervous about it because I don't really do art, because I've been majoring in psychology all along. I'm afraid it will be too competitive for an amateur as i. haha! That being said, I love drawing and actually everything about art, which is why i want to take this course. Could you give me some examples of what I'm expected to draw and is it very hard to obtain good grades (or so i've heard about a lot of art courses)?

Thanks!! :eek:

aya-chan

HSC
Reviewing courses that probably haven't been reviewed before, and also COMP1927, because I disagree with some previous reviews.

COMP1917 - Computing 1
I've never programmed before in my life, but I found it easy. It's all so logical, and everything just makes sense. I could easily learn most of it from the lecture notes, but attending lectures still makes a big difference (though I admit, yes, I stopped going half-way through, then struggled to understand some concepts). You need to start your assignments WHEN YOU GET THEM though, I failed my last assignment because I started it the day it was due. :( The programs are VERY frustrating when you can't get them to work (the first assignment made me cry, not even kidding. I ended up losing 1.5 marks over that) but when they finally work, it's the BEST feeling ever.
Lecturer: 9/10
Alan Blair is quite interesting and makes great, relevant analogies and explains everything very clearly. He's quite easy to follow but not specially amazing enough to warrant a 10/10.
Interest: 9/10
My interested waned a little over the semester (probably normal though). I really liked programming and for the first few weeks, did all my labs in advance. Some parts were a little dull, but since everything was so easily applied, I found the course quite interesting.
I LOVE COMPUTING. Do it. It's awesome. I changed from a straight physics major to do "physics and computing" because of this. If you have a logical mindset, and enjoy seeing your hard work all fall into place, DEFINITELY DO COMP1917.

PHYS1241 - Higher Physics (Special)
Ease: 6/10
This isn't an easy course. There are extra topics that the 1221/1231 students don't learn (i.e. special relativity). Being made for physics majors, this is designed to be challenging. Full lab reports are written up for every lab and are very time consuming. Assignments also often require deeper thinking, and are hand-written and submitted, rather than the online quizzes done in PHYS1121/1131/1221/1231. We were told that you will struggle with this course if you do not achieve 70 in PHYS1131. I got 91 on 1131, and I found parts of the assignments quite difficult. But the majority of the course is doable, and I still managed to get a HD.
Lecturers: 9/10 Angstmann and Gal
Angstmann is great in a small class format. (We had about 30 or less students in our class.) She uses Feymann as a resource, who is a physics GOD. But the best thing about her is her use of the board - especially for derivations, which are VERY important in the understanding of the physics behind the formulae. She is obviously brilliant at physics, but often makes small mistakes in her working, so precious class time is lost with the class trying to help fix her mistakes on the board.
Gal makes great notes, but he works off these on a projector in class. (I'd much prefer him to use the board). Once you get accustomed to his accent, his examples are quite interesting, and his challenging "kit kat questions" encourage you to get involved and thing about the physics, and really help in your understanding.
Interest: 8/10
Though this statement may be really cyclical: If you love physics, you will love this course. I find the content quite interesting, and the applications of concepts intriguing.
Definitely do this as opposed to 1221/1231, if you're a physics major. Even if you aren't, but enjoy physics I highly recommend it. The smaller classes are definitely a bonus, and the labs are more interesting and they give you newer and better equipment. Besides, who doesn't want to avoid the PHYS1221/1231 group project and the online quizzes?

ARTS2511 - Intermediate German B
Ease: 5/10
This course is hard. I managed to do decently because I had already touched almost all the concepts in high school. Although the grammar concepts made sense, you really need more time and lots of practice to fully understand and successfully use them. Assessments were spread out over the semester, in the form of three "quizzes", two "tests", a reading and responding assessment and a 10 minute presentation (done in pairs). The number assessments meant we had a test every 2/3 weeks. The good thing was, however: there was no final. Tests were marked quite strictly, and it good marks are difficult to get. Adding to the difficulty was not being allowed dictionaries in exams, which was a big change for me, having to memorised more vocab and irregular verb forms (we were allowed them in high school).
Lecturer: 8/10
Buch explained things well and the lecture slides were easy to follow. Many examples were given, and practice exercises were very useful. However, he was quite strict (no use of any electronic devices were allowed) and could tend to be boring. 2 hour lectures became tedious. Two 1 hour lectures would've been better.
Interest: 7/10
Learning languages is interesting and exotic, and it always feels great to know another language - like it's a code that not everybody else can understand. But the work in this course could become tedious, and I often disliked having to attend class (as attendance was marked and classes were small).
I find this course was taught way too fast to properly grasp the grammatical concepts, without intensive work at home - often involving having to find your own exercises to complete (as not much work was given). Self-study was extremely important in this course, but if you like german, there is no avoiding this course. Do it if you're prepared to work for a good WAM.

miaowsha

HSC
ECON1202 QUANTITATIVE ANALYSIS

The content is quite straight forward; they require a minimum 60 in 2U HSC maths, so if you did 3/4U, it’s easy marks. If you did General, you’re screwed, particularly the large calculus topic. The in-tute tests aren’t that hard, I got full marks for all 3 tests. You can also get great marks in the group computing assignment, just make sure you’re in a good group. I had a shit group and ended up working by myself and I managed to get respectable marks. If you struggle with maths, this course will probably be difficult as it's quite fast-paced.

Lecturer:
Chatterjee – 5/10 Most people complained that she talks to quickly and simply reads off the lecture slides. Also, she hardly used the mic. I didn’t attend a lot of the lectures because there was one lecture stream and it was during fucking inconvenient times; 4-5pm and 5-6pm especially since the lectures usually last 30 minutes.
In short: boring.

Interest: 8/10 I enjoy calculus and matrices so this course was pretty cool. Also the PASS classes and leaders are great, I highly recommend the PASS classes. Most people attended the PASS classes instead of the lectures, lol.
In response to the bit in bold - this is untrue. You're not screwed if you only did general in year 12. The ridiculously basic level of calculus in this course isn't going to be of much concern to you.

If you only did general in year 12, there are a number of things you can do to make your life easier if you have to do this course:
1. Attend PASS
2. Do more than just the prescribed homework questions
3. Accept that calculus is easy and don't let the integral sign scare you
4. Pre-learn some calculus in the holidays before you do the course
5. Ace the other topics. Easy topics (apart from the basic calculus, which if you've never done, might look somewhat intimidating to you) include financial mathematics, matrices and linear programming. Linear programming might have a slightly intimidating name but it's just the use of your year 8/9/10 straight line graphs (y=mx+b, etc). Matrices are just a system of arranging equations, and you only use basic ones in this course. Google them before you do the course. Financial mathematics is something that's probably not new to you if you did general maths. I remember my friend saying something about annuities and such being taught in general, so if this is true, you've actually got a slight advantage because this topic goes for a couple of weeks.
6. Use Khan Academy
7. Do NOT allow yourself to get behind and try to ace the in-class tests. As for the assignments, the wording/instructions are terrible, so allow yourself some time to translate them into English and then work on them. You might be better off working entirely on your own.

I knew a girl who beat many 4unit kids and she did general. You're not screwed if you did general in year 12, you just need to do work :)

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Semester 2, 2011

ACCT1501

Ease: 9/10
I never attended any lectures AT ALL (not recommended but I was told ACCT1501 is the easiest course EVER). If you can do basic adding and subtracting, then you'll know how to balance. The questions are pretty much common sense.

Quite boring. But as I didn't do any business subjects in high school this was pretty new and I enjoyed a few topics (the beginning).

Lecturers: N/A
No idea lol

Overall 7/10
It's compulsory for commerce students. Very easy course.

ACTL1001

Ease: 5/10
I didn't do MATH1151 (a prerequisite) I did MATH1141 instead, so I missed out on doing Stats so I was pretty much lost for the entire semester. The lecturer decided to change up the course a bit in 2011 to make it "less mathematically intensive" but it was still pretty fucked.

I did it as a flexible core course for Commerce. I didn't know much about insurance and all that, and I knew a lot of Comm/Adv Maths kids were majoring in Actuarial Studies so I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Worst decision ever. I found it pretty boring.

Lecturer: 7/10
Cool guy but I hated the fact that he messed with the course. The textbook pretty much became irrelevant (waste of $40) and it seems as though he sucked at maths and that's why he changed the structure of the course.

Overall: 4/10
Hated everything.

FINS1613

So fucking easy. Simple maths. All your quizzes and exams are multiple choice.

Very interesting. My favourite commerce course so far. I didn't know much about finance but this course made things really interesting for me.

Lecturers: Anh Le 8/10 Gloria 7/10
They were decent. Gloria was a bit boring though.

Loved it and it was easy. I didn't even need to do much study before the exams for this course and I still got a HD.

MATH1241

I found it a lot easier than MATH1141. I stayed up to date with my work, asked for help and I focused in class.

Very interesting. I especially liked learning about ODEs and Eigenvalues/vectors. Statistics was a bit shit though.

Lecturers: Dr. Tisdell 9/10 Dr. Britz 6/10
Tisdell is an amazing lecturer, very enthusiastic and knows his stuff well. Britz was a bit slow and boring, his notes were a bit overwhelming but he also knows his stuff.

I love maths

HSC
Semester 1

ACCT1501
Ease: 9.5/10
I did Accounting as a TVET course during HSC as the 90% of the course is just a repeat of the HSC course. Just understand your debits, credits and stuff...
Lecturer: Trish Strong 4/10 Korean guy 6/10... don't remember the other lecturers
Interest: 2/10 Accounting is fucking boring.
Overall: 7/10 Easy HD so it boosts your wam :).

ECON1101
Lecturer: 10/10 ALBERTO MOTTA IS THE FUCKING BEST <3.
Interest: 9/10. Economics is always interesting :).
Overall: 9/10. Enjoyable and a fairly easing course.

MATH1151:
Ease:7.5/10. How easy it is depends on you doing your homework.
Lecturer: Dr Tran 7/10 Dr Womersly 9/10. Dr Tran goes a bit fast sometimes and you need to get use to his Asian accent but once you're use to his speed and accent, he's pretty good. Womersly can rage sometimes but he's pretty good too...
Interest: 8/10.
Overall:8/10.

SCIF1121:
Lecturer: Didn't go lectures, they're actually useless because there's no finals.
Interest: 0/10. Trashiest course ever... it's so pointless
Overall: 0/10. biggest waste of time :\.

Semester 2

MATH1251
Ease: 7/10. Cramming eigenvalues and eigenvectors in 1 day isn't a good idea Q_Q.
Lecturer: Brian Jeffries 1/10 Ian Doust 9/10
Interest: 9/10. I found it a lot more interesting than 1151. 1151 was more teaching you theory and basics while 1251 was the applications.
Overall: 9/10 <3 maths

FINS1613
Lecturer: Gloria Tian 4/10 Ahn Le 8/10
Interest:9/10.
Overall: Another easy course. Should be an easy D/HD.

ACTL1001
Ease: 9/10. They changed the course to more theory/BS base type of questions rather than maths.
Lecturer: Lecturer is okay... he's pretty fail at maths though. 7/10
Interest: 8/10. Pretty interesting, intros you to a lot of basic actuarial stuff.

MATH1081
Ease:7/10. It either clicks or it doesn't to me. If it doesn't click you can spend hours on it and still do shit but my finals were piss easy.
Lecturer: Brian Jeffries 2/10 David Angell 9/10
Interest:9/10
Overall: 5/10. Wouldn't have been so low if Jeffries wasn't such a shit cunttttt.

Summer School

ACCT1511
Ease: 9/10.
Lecturer: Trotman 8/10 Nicole Ang 9/10
Interest: 8/10. A lot more interesting that 1A. 8/10 is pretty high considering I hate accounting.
Overall:8/10

ECON1102
Ease: 7.5/10. Requires quite a lot of discipline to actually do the work and stuff since it's an online course.
Lecturer: 7/10. She uploads the wrong stuff quite often but the camtasia lectures are pretty good.
Interest:9.5/10. Economics is always interesting as I said above.
Overall:8.5/10

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hmm, can't believe I haven't done mine yet... oh well, let's see what I can remember.

Semester 1, 2011

SCIF1121

Part of my tutorial once was doing a jigsaw puzzle with my group. I also recall listening to lectures on things we wouldn't be tested on and also drawing random things on random sheets I never kept. Bludge class? Yes, definitely. Even the major assignment wasn't that hard.

Content: N/A
What content?

Lecturers: 6/10
Jim Franklin had the really sucky job of having to do this course, I think he tried somewhat to make it bearable for us... some of the things he taught in the lectures about applied maths were mildly engaging though.

Overall: 5.5/10
The course content sucked. Majorly. I put my tute and lecture on a Friday afternoon and I just bludged through it. However, it was a fantastic way to meet people. You're forced to meet people, basically. And that is one of the only saving graces of the subject.

ECON1101

We have to remember it is an introductory economics course, and even though I only did Preliminary HSC Economics - some of the topics, like supply and demand curves were already second nature to me. So overall, the course was pretty ease-y (lololol get it?) - but some of the applications got a bit tricky at times.

Content: 8/10
Despite some of the content being ridiculously easy and simple, the content itself was interesting because I felt there was an emphasis on applications. Plus, some of the other stuff was genuinely interesting - learning how to draw a demand curve, for example, wasn't.

Lecturers: 10/10
My lecturer (Alberto Motta) was... epic. Enthusiasm for the subject, plus humourous touches and using a NERF gun in class to shoot people? I mean come on. Who can say no to that?

Overall: 8.5/10
Overall, I enjoyed ECON1101 - it was a nice introduction to how university learning worked. Lectures and tutes pretty well organised, the content was easy so one would get into the 'groove' of it all very quickly.

ACCT1501

Most of it was easy. Remembering things like... bank reconciliation statements or cost of goods manufactured statements, weren't that nice.

Content: 6.5/10
Some of it was genuinely interesting, like debits and credits and all the balance seemed to work out pretty awesomely. But theory of accounting? Management accounting? Why good accounting procedures are important? u srs bro

Lecturers: Trish Strong 5/10, Youngdeok Lim 8/10, Per Tronnes 9/10, the Chinese lady (sorry I forgot her name) 3/10
Trish Strong was okay but she had a tendency to lecture on how she was doing us a benefit by lecturing and going on about that. She didn't really make the topic interesting, she just did her job - plus her telling people to be quiet was always a bit annoying.
Lim was fantastic, I'm sure some people were put off by the Korean accent but he was also my tutor and he seemed a very knowledgeable, passionate person who was good at accounting. He also made some of the more boring stuff interesting so he got a few points for that.
Tronnes I only had for one lecture, but... he made Generally Accepted Accounting Practices bearable. I mean... accounting theory, interesting. That, and he put the Beach Boys on during breaks.
The Chinese lady who taught petty cash... umm, yeah - while Strong got a few points for using the clickers (arguably the best part of the course, kinda like Who Wants to be a Millionaire? Ask the Audience voting), she didn't. Plus, I didn't really feel engaged in that lecture.

It was okay... it was my only HD that semester, but overall it was alright. I can't really complain that much about it.

MATH1141

This was my first lecture and well, most of the content was straight out of 3u or 4u maths. So really it was pretty easy from that perspective. Few new topics like hyperbolic functions, matrices, vector geometry, and a few calculus rules like the Mean value Theorem. But most of it was pretty easy to learn, but again mathematics can throw ridiculous applications at you.

I liked the content. I know I'm a maths student so... yeah, but considering what they had to include and the extra stuff they put on, I found it thoroughly interesting. Like using matrices to solve a system of equations... ohh, wow. Mindblowing stuff. NO MORE STUPID ALGEBRAIC METHODS FOR SOLVING SIMULTANEOUS EQUATIONS!!!! hehehehe

Lecturers: Dr. Greenhill 9/10, Prof. Cowling 8/10
Dr. Greenhill was a great lecturer, her notes were pretty good plus she also offered $50 for the person who did the most challenge questions (but no one ever did that so she kept her money). Prof. Cowling was also pretty good though he did have a knack of persecuting late-comers to the class harshly and getting irritated like that. His lecturing style was also a bit more abstract and less to the point than Dr. Greenhill, and the notes weren't as good as they could've been... but in the end, I learned the stuff so I can't really fault him that much.

I loved it. And that's good because I signed up for 5 years in a maths degree so I better love it.

Semester 2, 2011

MATH1241

In MATH1241 they upped the ante a bit, however there was still some 3u and 4u content - like partial fractions and trigonometric substitutions. The new stuff was easy enough, considering that MATH1231 had to deal with most of the same topics anyway.

Content: 9.5/10
Here in MATH1241 as I said, they upped the ante. New topics. Vector spaces, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, several variable functions, Taylor series... lots of new stuff. Some old stuff too like integration techniques and probability and statistics (some new stuff there though) and differential equations and the like. I liked it. For the most part.
I thought ODEs sucked majorly, I thought they were one of the most boring things out there... but maths is maths so I found it bearable eventually.

Lecturers: Prof. Cowling 9.5/10, Prof. Schief 8.5/10
I had Cowling again this time for algebra (he taught calculus in MATH1141) and I thought he was going to kick people out again. He didn't. Plus he started using the whiteboard along with slides and that really, really helped me figure out what was going on - plus I got used to his style of lecturing so I actually got more out of lectures.
Schief was my calculus tutor for MATH1141 so I was kinda used to how he taught stuff, he did try a new style of lecture notes. For MATH1141 in the other stream he had a big booklet of about 200 pages. Now he had a series of powerpoint slides where we could complete stuff in. I didn't really... like it a lot - but he did say at the start of the semester he was trying something new.

Overall: 9.5/10
Awesome.

MATH1081

Ease: 8.5/10
This rehashed on some stuff in 3u like permutations and combinations. New stuff though like sets and modular arithmetic, graph theory and logic. They also went through proof a lot, and overall it was pretty easy to learn.

Content: 8.5/10
Some of it... was boring. Like I don't care about equivalence relations. Some of it was generally interesting like methods of proof and the logic it takes to get there. Graph theory was also interesting along with some of the number theory stuff.

Lecturers: David Angell 8/10, Brian Jefferies 4/10
Jefferies knows his stuff, I will admit that - but it doesn't translate to lecturing ability. He'll stand there and talk, but he doesn't make it interesting though.
Angell has a more expressive voice and is more proactive, I liked his lecturing plus the DEATH STARE he gave to anyone that was over 10 minutes late.

I liked it. Some of the stuff was pretty good and I wished I had the spare credit points to take Finite (which is apparently the next step up) :(

FINS1612

I'm sure if you do the work and the homework, this is easy because it's just definitions and theory.

Content: 5/10
Definitions and theory. If you like finance, you'll find it great. I thought I liked it, and I actually don't...

Lecturers: overall 6.5/10
Can't remember my lecturers names but they were okay. One went slowly through topics, another one went very quickly. I preferred the one that went slower because for me who didn't really have motivation to study, the extramural stuff he'd say would fit nicely on the lecture notes.

Overall: 5/10
I didn't really enjoy it... the tutorial was kinda poorly run as well, like a mini-lecture again.

FINS1613

Ease: 8.5/10
Again, I'm sure if you do the homework - it'll be easy because there is more maths in this and a few more theory things.

Content: 3/10
I didn't find the content interesting at all..

Lecturers: Anh Le 5/10, Gloria 6/10
Overall the lecturers were okay... not that great. Gloria was better in that she had a more expressive voice and I was kinda forced to listen, rather than Anh Le who was a bit quieter and I wanted to fall asleep. But that's my fault because I don't like... the content.

Overall: 4/10
never again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)