URGENT!!! Subject Selection HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

overRun

HSC
Should i do Biology or 3 unit math in year 11.

and lets say i want to do something medicine related in uni.

Pyrobooby

HSC
Are they clashing? If not, just do both. Which one do you prefer? You should have some sort of preference in mind when it comes to these kind of things.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Why not do both, if you have the interest and skills?

If you can't choose between the two, seeing as you want to do med, do bio if you are confident that you'll get an awesome ATAR. Otherwise, consider doing 3u to boost your ATAR (assuming that you're awesome at maths) and just do a bridging course for bio.

decadentDee

HSC
I'd probably stick to 3U Math, due to its high scaling (scaling does matter and you will see how it does when you get your ATAR back at the end of this year). Biology is a good subject for Medicine, but I'd probably just do a bridging course for Biology if you really needed it.

Honestly, I think it's much easier to do a bridging course for Biology than it is for 3U Math, because seriously, Biology is a subject where you can just memorise the content and do super well in the Exam. With 3U Maths, you need to consistently and constantly practice it, you'll end up needing quite a bit of support from your peers and teachers and so, it's probalby best to do 3U Maths at school, than at a bridging course.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
If you like maths, do 3unit.
If you like (and are good at) remembering huge chunks of text, then do bio.

It's a lot easier to get a high mark in 3unit. Although I'm more of a maths person...

DxDx

HSC
If you're good at maths, do maths. Bio is (to me) boring, and doesn't scale well, and isn't a pre requisite for med. I think maths 3U actually might be for some courses.... don't quote me though.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
i'm pretty sure the only recommendation for med is Chemistry though........

Gigacube

HSC
Are you getting confused between recommended & prerequisite?

People usually bridge Chem, not Bio.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Nothing is Prerequisite anymore. There may be prerequisite and corequisite courses within the degree so you may take others, but otherwise everything is only recommended that you have completed these subjects because the course will be taught under the assumption you have completed it at the HSC level.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Isn't there assumed AND recommended knowledge for uni courses?

SmokedDuck

HSC
Assuming you can only do one, why don't you sit down and go through the possible degrees you want to do, figure out which are your favourites and then go through how each degree is structured and what is covered throughout the degree. Look up the unit descriptions and read them. For example, if you find there is a higher amount of mathematics based units than biology based units, or some of the concepts in the mathematics based courses you haven't heard of, then do 3U maths. Or if your weak point is biology then strengthen that. You can email the unit coordinator for learning guides if you are really keen to see in detail what is covered.

That's what I'd do.

Aindan

HSC
I highly recommend 3 unit if you are competent at maths and willing to put the work in. It will boost your 2unit results heaps.

funnytomato

HSC
I highly recommend 3 unit if you are competent at maths and willing to put the work in. It will boost your 2unit results heaps.
dunno how that works

@OP, you should probably ask some one doing med atm for help

Kaatie

HSC
i have a mate in my class (im in med) who didnt do any science or math in year 11 or 12
i didn't do bio or 3 unit math and i did the bio bridging course - didn't help whatsoever

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)