Viva Voce (1 Viewer)

danal353

HSC
Does anyone know how to study for the Viva Voce? I mean the notification is really ambiguous - an interview where I'll be asked questions.

Other than the usual questions such as "what does your work mean to you?" what else can they ask?

bmfirkin

HSC
Ive been told that theyll only ask you about things that you include on your summary sheet. Pick a subject matter that you are comfortable with. For Vivas there is no criteria that you can study within. Just got into a decent amount of depth

TIP:: dont mention terminology that you dont fully understand.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
The most important thing I found was that you essentially need to guide the examiners through you viva voce. If you have a clearly set out summary sheet (either with dot point of everything you want to discuss or even a list of questions) you'll find that the examiners will follow this, as long as it has a broad enough scope for you to display your knowledge.
What you have to remember is that when the examiners ask questions, its because they want to give you the chance to show more knowledge.
So if you put a lot of effort into your summary sheet and consult with your music teacher prior to the exam about the content, there won't be many surprises.

danal353

HSC
thanks for the advice

i don't think we're allowed to bring in summary sheets and i'm just concerned that they'll ask something really obscure that i haven't thought about yet but oh well...

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
thanks for the advice

i don't think we're allowed to bring in summary sheets and i'm just concerned that they'll ask something really obscure that i haven't thought about yet but oh well...
It's easy as. I had mine on Thursday and they only asked me three questions. I prepared for so many different questions which i didn't even need to answer. Mine went for 30 mins but once you're in there it goes so quick and you just end up having a conversation with the teachers. Rather then it being an assessment type atmosphere it is quite relaxed.

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
thanks for the advice

If they do ask you something that's 'really obscure' and you have no idea how to answer - just tell them that you're not really sure how to answer (rather than try and bluff your way through it, or stand there staring into space going 'Umm...ah, well...um...')

As long as this doesn't happen too often during your viva, it's fine to admit you don't really know an answer to something a bit obscure. Just make sure you move on to your next point really quickly ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)