Wanting to work in the UN? (1 Viewer)

CecilyMare

HSC
I have this terribly unhealthy desire at the age of 15, to work in the UN and I'm looking at jobs in the Medical section. Apparently there is fierce competition for almost all positions and they like to hire people who are trilingual and over.

Does anybody have a somewhat similar passion?

edit- and no I don't mean I want to work there NOW.. I said 15 because it's a bit too young to think about working in the UN, right? Though I have a friend who's 20 and works in the UN.

Peartie

HSC
Get Experience....volunteer with NGO's, when @ uni look for internships.... I have a friend who is going on a 2 month internship to France with UNESCO, another one who is interning in the UN in New York, and a couple working for the UN in New York.

The biggest plus though, and somehting that will look good is getting work experience at various places around the world, as well as at various organisations.

And since you know English you are already at a plus...but as has been said learn French (and maybe Spanish or Mandarin). Just learn as many languages as you can but have at least two (english + 1) at, if not fluent then near fluency with others at working capabilities...

CecilyMare

HSC
I do agree you have a point, but I wouldn't mind working hard for any of the other desired degrees eg. political science or psychology/med. It's just that French, first of all I don't think it's THAT necessary and it wouldn't enlighten me by learning it in the second place. I've also looked on the sites and their requirements, they ask for fluency in English or French, not both.

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
what the fuck would you want to work for such a disgusting organisation??

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC
why would this be a terribly unhealthy idea. i like it.

i would do it if i knew more french and was fluent enough

CecilyMare

HSC
Holy shit.. 6 languages..

I didn't take any languages for my electives, would that be a disadvantage?

lala2

Banned
HSC
^^TAFE is a cheaper option. Not to mention if you've got a lot of interests which you'd like to pursue at uni, languages take up valuable elective space.

CecilyMare

HSC
Would people who take languages at school up til the end of HSC be considered fluent in that language?

CecilyMare

HSC
Don't you have to be experts at translating texts in the hsc exams too? lol

I really wanted to do Latin but my school sucks so bad it doesn't offer it.

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
Yeah woo join the UN and become a rapist and a war criminal.

Worst organisation *in the world*

CecilyMare

HSC
Since when? My friend works in the UN and he goes around to places like Cuba and they employ him to aid people in need, beause those places don't have medical facilities of their own.

He does speak of squads being killed in peacekeeping missions and the employed women getting raped there, though.

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
Deliver Us From Evil - William Shawcross

Complicity With Evil, The United Nations in the Age of Modern Genocide - Adam Lebor

And the Penn/Teller episode on world peace for a bit of a swift intro:

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/31058_Penn_and_Teller-_World_Peace

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
I'm thinking about the UN as a possible career as well (but in legal, not medical) and I'm planning on being conversant (at least) in French, German, Japanese and Russian by the time I apply for it. That means taking them at university, finding tutors, taking external courses and travelling to these places and learning the language through conversation. It's a slog, but I think it's worth it even if an international organisation wasn't where I wanted to go for a career.

Also, I studied Japanese for six years at school but like others have said, you definitely need more than HSC skills to be able to claim any kind of fluency with the language. All grammar patterns and everything aside, the vocab lists that we learn from wouldn't last you five minutes in a working environment. So don't worry if you haven't taken any languages so far ... either pick one up at Beginners level for years 11 and 12 and then continue it at uni or just wait until you've graduated and then start.

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
Why would anyone want to work for a bunch of genocide purveyors?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)