Wanting to work in the UN? (1 Viewer)

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
I not saying its fantastic, but to accuse of genocide is ridiculous
No, this was seen to be true with genocides in Cambodia, Rwanda and Bosnia. In Srebrenica in 1995, UN "peacekeepers" literally stood by and did nothing as 8000 Bosniaks were massacred. The then Secretary-Genera Boutros-Boutros Ghali was never called to answer for this disgrace.

The United Nations is completely incapable of performing the simple functions required of a mediator. It has little political leverage, it can almost never pursue successful negotiations and is mainly incapable of any real action. Ah, but I'm wrong you might say, there is one exception. from 1960-1964 the UN forces were actively engaged in armed combat during the Congo crisis. In four years of UN involvement in the Congo, 234 UN soldiers were killed and it wasted over $1.8 billion. Shortly after the UN troops left in 1965, Joseph Mobotu (now Mobotu Sese Seko) staged a coup and has been dictator of Zaire (now Congo) ever since. Today the country is torn by violent political conflict and is on the verge of civil war.

The UN is the most anti-Semitic organisation since the fall of the Third Reich. Between 1967 and 1988 there were 88 Security Council resolutions passed against Israel and not one criticising a single Arab nation or the PLO. In that same time-span, the General Assembly passed 429 anti-Israel resolutions. Over the past half century, there has been a barrage of intolerance, anger and hate from the UN and it has all been directed at the only Jewish nation-state in the world. The likes of Zimbabwe, Libya, Syria and Cuba who presently sit on the UN's Human Rights Commission sit upon Israel and do so freely under the banner of Wilsonianism.*

*Paraphrasing from an article I once read by Will Westerman.

spartan31234

HSC
in that case the whole world is anti-Semitic lol.

I guess Israel doesn't have many allies... but wait there's the US

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
in that case the whole world is anti-Semitic lol.

I guess Israel doesn't have many allies... but wait there's the US
There are about 13 countries which always vote in favor of the UN and depending on the issue ~20-30 abstentions. All the others are just Arab, Muslim, African, South American and Asian countries who always vote against regardless. One can only draw the conclusion that this is due to racism.

The UN provides the platform for this, and even actively supports it.

But do you concede that it is responsible for genocide now? Not interceding in something when you have the power to do so is as bad as doing it imo.

spartan31234

HSC
The US has vetoed most of the anti-Israel resolutions. The resolutions the US have abstained have been passed for a reason-- Israel has committed human rights abuses.

I know what ur going to say, why is there are disproportionate number of resolutions against Israel

- China has veto power
- Hesbola is a terrorist organisation, resolutions and sanction are basically useless
- Many African countries have to incompetent governments to listen, or there so poor sanctions are useless, or they sell resources to china or Russia
- Sri lanka is avoiding un investigations, despite the general of the army admitting that the government ordered surrendering LTTE to get shot, as it has China and Russia as allies

- Israel is the only developed country in the world that does not have veto power and does not have an ally that is willing to abuse it, that commits human rights violation

- also Israel is hated by many arab nations and they have votes

- what do you think is going to happen.
But ultimately there are being punished for violating human rights.

philphie

Banned
HSC
one of the biggest fail recently that could be resolved so easily: UN's neglect of toxic poisoning of those who still stayed behind in the Kosovo ghettos

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
The US has vetoed most of the anti-Israel resolutions. The resolutions the US have abstained have been passed for a reason-- Israel has committed human rights abuses.

I know what ur going to say, why is there are disproportionate number of resolutions against Israel

- China has veto power
- Hesbola is a terrorist organisation, resolutions and sanction are basically useless
- Many African countries have to incompetent governments to listen, or there so poor sanctions are useless, or they sell resources to china or Russia
- Sri lanka is avoiding un investigations, despite the general of the army admitting that the government ordered surrendering LTTE to get shot, as it has China and Russia as allies

- Israel is the only developed country in the world that does not have veto power and does not have an ally that is willing to abuse it, that commits human rights violation

- also Israel is hated by many arab nations and they have votes

- what do you think is going to happen.
But ultimately there are being punished for violating human rights.
All the points you've made are very valid, however you're not considering all the Muslim countries and South American countries (like Venezuala) where anti-Semitism is the conclusion one can really draw as to their opposition of Israel.

UN anti-Semitism was also seen its support of the racist Durban I and II conferences. Also, the Human Rights commision of the UN actually replaced an older version which was disbanded after allegations from Israel of un-just bias, which following an investigation were shown to be true (the organisation had pretty much just focused on Israel when there were a number of other much more horrible things happening in the world - wrong on two counts). The body that replaced it, and this is quite funny, made its very first motion to be, take a wild guess, an investigation into Israeli human rights abuses. It has since been just as biased, but has not been properly investigated.

Look at how the world was during the Israeli-Lebanon war. Sudan was still in the heights of chaos, with millions of people displaced, hundreds being killed daily and even more dying of disease and hunger. Zimbabwe was and still is in turmoil. Burma had an iron grip on its people. China was clamping down on Tibet and other areas, still leading the world in executions. The Arab countries surrounding Israel, like Syria and Egypt, under dictatorships were still no doubt committing heinous deeds. I'm not sure if you've seen the documentaries recording the Iran guards torture/death houses. Yet all the UN could focus on was sanctions on Israel, which was attempting to halt Hezbollah rocket fire and which was retaliating against a raid on its own soil.

mr_robato

HSC
lol you want to work with the U.N., which would be a difficult job involving a fair bit of work, and yet you can't be bothered to learn one of the official languages of the U.N.

don't bother applying if you're going to be like that lol.

Paji, Chill.

She's just fifteen. She'll grow out of it.

rox88

HSC
i did work for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees(UNHCR angelina jolie one) for the past 2.5 years before i resigned last month. Nothing much to say except it was very good pay, they take u interstate and knowing u making a big difference in people lives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)