Were you stuck? (1 Viewer)

M3riJaan

Another Member
HSC
man you should do what you love.

ull be stuck in this job for the rest of your life, unless you restudy and go into another field.

Job prospects is important i guess, but you seriously dont know what they will be like once youve graduated!

by the time youve graduated in science or engineering apparently your already behind the latest technology.

so calm down about your family and do what you love first.
lol you realise how easy it is to say that and sound all life-loving and cutesy?

I actually chose to do what i 'loved' in HS and i ended up learning the harsh truth about scaling subjects too late, regardless of what teachers feed you about ignoring scaling. The vast majority of my friends took the scaling combo as their subjects (4u maths, 2u adv eng, eco, phys chem) and ended up with spectacular marks, even though they complained all year about how much they hated their subjects. i ended up paying for doing what i loved.

So you can see why im slightly skeptical about doing what I would love.

Monsterman

HSC
me :(

i really wanted to do medical science or science, but the job prospects suck. so im doing B commerce/B science at USYD (if i get accepted :))
The job prospects for Med sci arent that terrible...

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
The job prospects for Med sci arent that terrible...
i spose, but the pay isnt that great either... also, i wanted to do some psychology in my degree, and since med sc doesnt allow that at USYD, i would of rather done a science degree where i get to do some medical science aspects and some psych ones

but since B Sc on its own doesnt seem to be very practical, i am combining it with commerce at USYD

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
lol i have to admit, the 2 info days did mess me up a little too. but the thing is, the lecturers have to lie a little about job prospects right? how are they gonna get any students if they admit that their course is the slow track to an unemployment apllication at centerlink?
you don't just go to the lectures, you also ask the people who are doing the course and what they're doing with themselves. it's stupid just to base it only on that.

then you compare and contrast the internship+exchange programs or other information you deem relevant to your areas of interest and reach a conclusion for which you yourself are accountable. in the end, it doesn't really matter where you went but what you can do. personally i don't want to be continuing my education just for the sake of advancing it, but some other people may want that. kudos to them.

/insomnia

M3riJaan

Another Member
HSC
i totally know how u feel, i was fully set on doing aerospace engineering/commerce, cos i really wanted to shift to US and work in space industry - but then i totally freaked out about studying so much and probably not getting a job in the end :( and then i impulsively changed my second preference to something else at the last moment, can't even remember what now :\
Lol, in the last 3 days, my preferences were so shuffled and substituted from what i had set out, so you're not alone. But, err... I at least remember what i put lol. You might wanna check...

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
I did my entire degree, worked for a year, decided it wasn''t really all that great and now i'm doing a masters in something unrelated, while I continue to work in the area of my first degree.
If it takes you a year or two to decide what you like, isn't that better than spending 40 years (or more given the ageing population) working in a job you don't really like?

fsal

HSC
^^ totally agree with the above post

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
lol you realise how easy it is to say that and sound all life-loving and cutesy?

I actually chose to do what i 'loved' in HS and i ended up learning the harsh truth about scaling subjects too late, regardless of what teachers feed you about ignoring scaling. The vast majority of my friends took the scaling combo as their subjects (4u maths, 2u adv eng, eco, phys chem) and ended up with spectacular marks, even though they complained all year about how much they hated their subjects. i ended up paying for doing what i loved.

So you can see why im slightly skeptical about doing what I would love.
Thats got less to do with scaling and more to do with you not putting in enough effort.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)