Were you stuck? (1 Viewer)

M3riJaan

Another Member
HSC
Hey there guys,

Ever since we applied for UAC, I've been shifting my course preferences, as im sure you all have. Everybody has their own reasons for this, but mine were mostly to do with the dilemma of what I want, and what is secure.

Ideally, if job security wasn't an issue, i would have gone with science, but instead i went with engineering, which i have somewhat an interest in, but still. I guess, assuming i make it through, it'd help in being able to support a family, pay back the rents for all they've done and all that jazz.

So to all of you, im asking; who else faced this dilemma, and what did you end up doing?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm still vacillating. In fact, I'll be vacillating all the way up to January 25th, when I have to choose what degree I'm combining with Law, and what majors to choose.

SSRabbitohs2009

28:06:42:12
HSC
Absolutely.
I was settled on my course, then my dad came in last night around 10pm and started talking about job prospects and stuff like that and made me completely anxious, so I started looking at teaching (because there are jobs).

I have since come to my senses, and ignored him and chose the course that sounds exactly what I want to learn, and assured myself that clinicals help point you in the right direction (plus the fact that we have an ageing population) and that I can do masters and honours etc.

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I'm pretty much set but i've been thinking about what i've wanted to do for a long time XD

@OP - pick science if you enjoy it, there are actually lots of job opportunities. Unless you love maths (harder than 4units maths and much more of it) as well as the idea of engineering, you're going to be in the large 75% of engineering students who drop out. So I suggest you rethink doing engineering - unless you love it don't do it :)

M3riJaan

Another Member
HSC
I'm still vacillating. In fact, I'll be vacillating all the way up to January 25th, when I have to choose what degree I'm combining with Law, and what majors to choose.
To swing indecisively from one course of action or opinion to another?

Lol, so you're still not decided by tonight? ah wells. Ive heard that comm is the best combination. let us know which way you went with the decision though.

M3riJaan

Another Member
HSC
I'm pretty much set but i've been thinking about what i've wanted to do for a long time XD

@OP - pick science if you enjoy it, there are actually lots of job opportunities. Unless you love maths (harder than 4units maths and much more of it) as well as the idea of engineering, you're going to be in the large 75% of engineering students who drop out. So I suggest you rethink doing engineering - unless you love it don't do it :)
Well i was doing a comm eng combined, so if one doesnt work then ill drop it. again, the whole job prospects thing made me decide that one.

But a reminder, tell us whether you chose what you wanted or what was secure. Or even if you were lucky enough to have them both be the same.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Lol, so you're still not decided by tonight? ah wells. Ive heard that comm is the best combination. let us know which way you went with the decision though.
I don't have to decide what degree I have to combine with Law until January 25 (at least).

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Well i was doing a comm eng combined, so if one doesnt work then ill drop it. again, the whole job prospects thing made me decide that one.

But a reminder, tell us whether you chose what you wanted or what was secure. Or even if you were lucky enough to have them both be the same.
Ah i see. Just do what you love is my advanced lol.

I chose what i wanted; i just so happened that there is a massive shortage of engineers XD

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
all that has always been an issue for me, and even more so because it's harder to know exactly what you're going to do with what is ultimately an arts degree regardless of the whatever fancy name ascribed to it [cue arts = poverty debate].

since last year i thought i'd be going to usyd because rule of thumb is/was usyd >>> unsw in arts/social sciences. then i went to both info days and discovered at the last minute that unsw has a far superior international studies program that emphasises practice rather than theory and most of all, getting you employed. that's what did it.

rx34

HSC
I would have done mining engineering if I won't so afraid of physics.

M3riJaan

Another Member
HSC
all that has always been an issue for me, and even more so because it's harder to know exactly what you're going to do with what is ultimately an arts degree regardless of the whatever fancy name ascribed to it [cue arts = poverty debate].

since last year i thought i'd be going to usyd because rule of thumb is/was usyd >>> unsw in arts/social sciences. then i went to both info days and discovered at the last minute that unsw has a far superior international studies program that emphasises practice rather than theory and most of all, getting you employed. that's what did it.
lol i have to admit, the 2 info days did mess me up a little too. but the thing is, the lecturers have to lie a little about job prospects right? how are they gonna get any students if they admit that their course is the slow track to an unemployment apllication at centerlink?

M3riJaan

Another Member
HSC
Job shortage, which disciplines?
I've heard mainly civil. But since the percentage of engineers who find employment after graduating is somewhere around +90% i guess you're safe in any discipline. One of the reasons i chose engineering :D

themonalisa

HSC
man you should do what you love.

ull be stuck in this job for the rest of your life, unless you restudy and go into another field.

Job prospects is important i guess, but you seriously dont know what they will be like once youve graduated!

by the time youve graduated in science or engineering apparently your already behind the latest technology.

so calm down about your family and do what you love first.

philphie

Banned
HSC
i always knew i wanted to arts because i'm a waste of space

lynton

HSC
I keep on tossing up with doing B Science/ B Economics, or Biomedicine, but then again, what jobs can come out of these? If you start it and hate it, you can change can't you?

rx34

HSC
Better to do Commerce/Science than Economics/Science. Commerce opens more pathways and you decide on your major in second year.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey there guys,

Ever since we applied for UAC, I've been shifting my course preferences, as im sure you all have. Everybody has their own reasons for this, but mine were mostly to do with the dilemma of what I want, and what is secure.

Ideally, if job security wasn't an issue, i would have gone with science, but instead i went with engineering, which i have somewhat an interest in, but still. I guess, assuming i make it through, it'd help in being able to support a family, pay back the rents for all they've done and all that jazz.

So to all of you, im asking; who else faced this dilemma, and what did you end up doing?
me :(

i really wanted to do medical science or science, but the job prospects suck. so im doing B commerce/B science at USYD (if i get accepted :))

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)