• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What do you feel about Extension 1 English? (1 Viewer)

gunat61

HSC
Hey, I am in year 10 and I just want to know what is extension 1 eng all about. Is there lots of reading?
This year, I didn't do as well in my report for english and only got average because I stuffed up comprehension multiple choice. Is there any of that?
I love writing and am good at it but I don't know if I can keep up with reading cos I'm slow lol .. weird eh?

Just wanna know, is it worth taking?

Last edited:

TBK11

HSC
As a current ex1 eng student i will say its very intriguing, i thought it would be difficult but its rather easy has alot of reading but the work is very enjoyable and its way more interesting than English advance, take it up and find out yourself
as for MC i haven't had any, highly doubt ull get them though

Last edited:
HSC
There's reading, of course because it's english. You don't do multiple choice in year 11 for english. If you're a talented stduent and teacher thinks you're up for it, then why not?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
There's reading, of course because it's english. You don't do multiple choice in year 11 for english. If you're a talented stduent and teacher thinks you're up for it, then why not?
Thank god. I hated literacy skills... how boring and tedious.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
if you don't like/are slow at do not do eng ext 1.
theres a sophistication in writing that comes with reading, aswell as the extensive reading and close analysis of texts you have to do throughout the course.
the entire subject is based around reading.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
It's okay if you stuffed up the multiple choice section. There is no multiple choice in the HSC. Do it if you enjoy English.

kimvv

HSC
so much better than advanced english.

the course is so much more interesting. its one of the classes that i really look forward to.

HSC
lol chosen not 2 do it
I hated and failed English last year because my teacher was an [insert verrry nasty word here] but now i'm acing it, and SHOULD, BUT ALL RIGHTS, be in the extension. D: I'm raked 19th, out of 70 students in Advanced, and my friend whose in extension is ranked 21st. So, why am i not in it? If you CAN be in it, be in it.

gella

HSC
uhh dude it doesnt matter. im ranked 8/32 in advanced and 2/5 in ext. they're two completely different courses. you spend a whole year studying the one topic in ext, whereas you cover a lot more content in advanced. so you reeeeally can't be comparing yourself to your ext friend, because they're two very different courses. just because you're beating them doesn't necessarily mean you'd do as well as them in ext

Last edited:

phuck

HSC
theres no multiple choice in ext 1 english, and its 50% writing, as opposed to, i think, 1 out of 6 modules or something in adv english. theres a lot more emphasis on writing, so if you love it and are good at it, go for it.

krels

HSC
if you are nuts about english, you should go for it, because i am and i love it!
but it mainly depends on the teacher, cause if they don't make it fun and exciting (even if you love english) you won't like it.

the work is better and more interesting + you can always drop it because it imporves your skills for HSC anyway.

gunat61

HSC
hrm .. i'm re-thinking it .. thank god no multiple choice !
i only gave in a survey .. but i'm unsure of my other subs so thats whats stopping me =/

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
If you do ext english and drop it in year 12, would it be beneficial for your HSC performance in advanced english? I'm considering doing it and debating this topic in my head.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)