What year do students learn system of linear equations? (2 Viewers)

oasfree

HSC
N/A
Guys, I had a look at New Century Math textbook year 9. I found introduction of linear equations and how to solve a simple word problem using a single linear equation. I reckon this is too basic. When I was young, I learned about linear equation at year 6 and already solve system of 2 linear equations at year 7-8. I do see that the text book offers many ways to look at the same problem. So many ways that students could become bored. Even inefficient and slow ways are also offered.

I know that kids who go to coaching in Australia may have learned about linear equation since year 5. But this is a different thing I suppose. They go to coaching and some crazy tutor just teach them stuff way above their heads. The result is that the kids lose the basics and become terrible at problem solving.

I look at year 8 text, and I found ratios. I taught my child ratios at end of grade 5. Exchanged students of grade 8 from China told my child that they learned ratios since grade 5 also. So my child matched these exchanged students pretty well in math at grade 8 but did not know some of the higher stuff.

But back to my main concern. Is the math here too easy? I am thinking that year 8 students should have learned systems of linear equations and by year 9 they should have started on quadratic equations, parabola, ...

Should I let my child learn ahead? What would be the possible harmful effects?

Any comment will be appreciated.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
by linear do you mean solving stuff like x+7=16, cause I learnt that in year 7 and we started quadratic equations in year 9

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Do you mean system of linear equations as in simultaneous equations? If so, I think we do that in like... Year 8.

But sure, no harm in letting them learn ahead - I'd say. Maths is maths, it's not gonna change that much. It's not like giving a Year 6 person a book for HSC English to read and analyse, considering that by the time they do their HSC - the book and syllabus might've changed.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I would only let them learn ahead if they were willing to.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
I think we learnt linear equations at the middle of year 9. Note: Take a look at the mathscape 10 text book. I found it pretty useful and my school uses it occasionally.

dr cookie

HSC
We did the parabola, functions etc towards the end of Year 10, which we used a Year11 book for. This part of the course was the teacher's choice of a Preliminary 2Unit subject, and she chose Functions and Parabolas

We solved simultaneous equations graphically early in Y10, if that is what you're asking? But there was only 1 or 2 lessons spent on that..

But Linear Eqns we did in Y9. We used MathsQuest 9.5.3

oasfree

HSC
N/A
Thanks guys. It looks like the New Century Math text books are mapped to curriculum but it is up to the teachers to decide what to do. I suppose this is why some teachers pick topics from math texts 1-2 years higher for their advanced class. The situation in my child's class is a bit like two groups in the top class of the school at grade 8. One one side of class kids from Chinese background who also go to coaching huddle together and seem to know everything that the teacher drags down from grade 9 textbooks. The rest of the class find the stuff quite new. The teacher does not bother to go deep because there is not enough time and she is trying to squeeze year 8, 9 and part of year 10 into year 8. The teacher seems to go very fast and kind of say "You get the general idea, go home and read the textbooks and do the exercises and ask your parents for help". Obviously half of the class struggle because of this.

My kid is very strong but does not learn ahead much. It looks like I have to teach my kid stuff from year 9 and 10 textbooks and extend vertically a little if the kid can take it. Linear equations are tied closely to ratio. Simultaneous equations build on top of linear equations. But the teacher is not doing the topics in correct order. Linear equation is pulled down from year 9 but ratio is not even taught from year 8 textbook.

What is obvious is that in Asian country (30 years ago and much like now), kids studied the minimum of ext1 here. That was why year 7-8 were full on with ratio, linear equation, simultaneous linear equations. Quadratic equation and trigonometry started at year 9 and some predicate logic started at year 10.

As my kid is doing same level with top selective schools so there is no choice but to attack the math topics head on. The school already picks the top kids out at year 8 on a fast pace program to do ext1 by year 11 and ext2 at year 12.

BTW, do you know any where I can find some past papers for math grade 8, 9 and 10? It looks like the poor kids (year 8) will be hit with questions selected from 3 years in this accelerated program.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
I've found with maths it seems to be that the school mostly picks the order the topics are taught in. Also, some textbooks are easier than others e.g Cambridge -vs- Maths in Focus. Learning ahead not essential but it can be useful in understanding other topics better and getting a better grasp of maths in general.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
There is no issue in learning ahead, however, I found the best way was to learn ahead in what was being covered that year. There's no point in you teaching a child something and they don't do it for a year and completely forget about it. Try to keep your child 2 topics ahead of the rest of the class. Ask the teachers what topics they'll be covering and in what order.

I learnt linear equations in year 8, quadratic questions in year 9 and simultaneous equations in year 10.

And I turned out fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)