What's Modern History Like? (1 Viewer)

Matt1120

Basically a History Nerd
HSC
re: Year 12 Modern History

Content wise it has been the best course. We did WWI europe upto the end of WWII.

Its a big course and you have to be good at essays and historigraphy to get good marks. But apart from that is great, I like it more than ancient lol

el gwapo

HSC

If you are doing history for the marks, I would assume you have a massive memory bank so repeating exercises and knowing narratives would not be a problem.

For me Year 11 Modern History was a lot of fun, the topics I did were pretty interesting (the turn of 20th century, JFK, Indochina) and it helped me think and write accordingly to what the HSC demands.

inter108

HSC

Depends.

Do you have a taste for history?

i don't, but i still do to a degree. (hard to explain)

it's good.

Hajime

HSC
What's Yr 12 Modern like?

Does modern get any better later in the year? I've just entered Yr 12 and we don't seem to be getting anywhere. I'm stuck with WW1, and that's not half as fun as modern was last year... We are learning about the filthy trench conditions, which I already knew were filthy thanks to year 9. I hope gets a little more exciting...

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Re: What's Yr 12 Modern like?

Yep, definitely. I personally found WWI to be deadset boring, along with most people I think. But as you progress through the year and go through the National, Personality and International Studies, thats when it gets fun :)

What modules are you doing?

lucidassembly

HSC

WW1 is by far the worst, and each of the following subjects get so interesting later on. Each of the modules has a lot more diversity than the core topic, so definitely... it gets better :D

Hajime

HSC

Thanks for replying, guys. Apparently we have to do WW1 (we skip WW2, which sucks because I would have liked to study the Nazi's), then move on to the Boer War. We do a Personality Study on some dude there and then do Indochina. Those are modules, right? Very crappy ones, but modules nonetheless?

Kujah

HSC
N/A

Boer War as in South Africa? And yep, they're modules. If you're dissatisfied with your modules, theres always the possibility of doing them on your own. Only if you're motivated and got bucketloads of interest :)

Hajime

HSC

Did you do it? Is it any good? It probably is, But our teacher has some unnatural way of making interesting things sound boring... He's weird...

lucidassembly

HSC

Hajime said:
Thanks for replying, guys. Apparently we have to do WW1 (we skip WW2, which sucks because I would have liked to study the Nazi's), then move on to the Boer War. We do a Personality Study on some dude there and then do Indochina. Those are modules, right? Very crappy ones, but modules nonetheless?
Yeah, no WW2 :( We actually did a little on the Boer War as part of another module, and I remember it being quite interesting.

If your teacher makes learning boring, do your own learning :) Half the fun in modern comes from extra reading and your own independent research. Not to mention, it makes the task of including historiography in your essays a lot simpler when the time comes!

Hajime

HSC

Lol! It's true! Good work guys! You have restored a burning hunger for modern history!
But are all history teachers like that?

Kujah

HSC
N/A

Hajime said:
Did you do it? Is it any good? It probably is, But our teacher has some unnatural way of making interesting things sound boring... He's weird...
Not really, my Modern teacher's pretty good. And my History Extension teacher, who also teaches Mod, is very passionate and dedicated... she would not take a day off if we had a lesson.

I did Germany, Speer and the Pacific. Though, Conflict in Europe would have been my preferable option... the Q was pretty good this year, the air war (<3 aerial warfare) and the Non-Aggression Pact with the Soviets.

Hajime

HSC

My teachers a creepy old man. He is joking around at one moment, then "BAM!" hissy fit!
He has the worst outbursts... He shouldn't be allowed to teach. He is dangerous.

lucidassembly

HSC

Aww, your teacher sounds quite horrible :(

Mine is literally a walking encyclopedia. So passionate about history, so dedicated to his job, and he somehow manages to teach us in a manner which actually allows information to sink into our brains. When it comes time to study, everything just floats back to me. Seriously... if you can do a bit of revision (even if it just involves reading over your class notes every month or so) throughout the year, it's a huge help. Continued repetition is the way to go lol.

Hajime

HSC

Oh, I will... the creepy old man gave us a textbook that we don't need to bring to class. And it's already helped me with an english task on Wilfred Owen.

lucidassembly

HSC

Haha I love it when subjects conveniently overlap. Makes the pain a little more worthwhile :p

Hajime

HSC

It sucks that I haven't got the mark yet. I reckon that I would have scored highest on the historical context because I didn't have a clue who Robert Graves or the other random dude was. That random dude was a sarcastic jerk though. I wish he was shot a week before the war ended...

jiey2k

JEAHHH BOIIIII
HSC

speaking of modern teachers i see,

mines a major in the navy (which is quite a high rank) and his knowledge he has of both modern and ancient is o_o...

modern does get better in yr 12, but if i could i would rather do ancient than modern... only cause statistics shown that ancient get a lot more band 5-6 than modern :p haha

indonchina is bs.. try not to learn abt it.. srsly.

*2512*

HSC

Hajime said:
Lol! It's true! Good work guys! You have restored a burning hunger for modern history!
But are all history teachers like that?
hell no!!!
my modern teacher was absolutely amazing a self confessed "history loser" who had so much additional knowledge it was amazing... also she had family friends in the hitler youth and had beeen to germany and austria and seen concentration camps and stuff
but yeah all good things come to an end and she got a promotion and left us and we got a newbe teacher for speer and WWII

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)