What's Modern History Like? (1 Viewer)

FridayEvening

HSC
I think good questions to ask yourself before you choose Modern History are "am I good at English?" and "can I write four essays in two hours?".

If the answer to either is "no", you ought to perhaps reconsider.

-Dannielle-

HSC
it depends reall y what interests you.. i do it and i hate it (+ i suck @ it), but thats only my perspective. i know a few people who like it but it really depends what you are intersested in:

we are doing:

WW1
GERMANY + NAZI'S etc
PERSONALITY: LENI RIEFENSTAHL
CONFLICT IN EUROPE

or something like that

zdzislaw

Jack, much
HSC
Modern is the best.
Seriously...my fav subject. It does however demand a high writing style and an excellence at writing lucid, historically logical essays.
If you're a naturally good writer, and have an inkling of interest in modern history then I'd say go for it.
Best of luck.

HSC
Modern History was my least favourite subject in Year 12, hence why I dropped it after my trials last year. There is helluva lot of content, but the main reason it sucked for me was because of the topics my school chose. I had to study Nelson Mandela of all people and apartheid in South Africa. To make matters worse, for my peace and conflict study I had to do Northern Ireland! :mad1: So I have don't have anything nice to say about it. Ancient History ftw! :D

Ademir

HSC
Iheartpaulfrank said:
Modern History was my least favourite subject in Year 12, hence why I dropped it after my trials last year. There is helluva lot of content, but the main reason it sucked for me was because of the topics my school chose. I had to study Nelson Mandela of all people and apartheid in South Africa. To make matters worse, for my peace and conflict study I had to do Northern Ireland! :mad1: So I have don't have anything nice to say about it. Ancient History ftw! :D
Yeah cos like, the dismantlement of an incredibly racist system which up until 1994 still legally regarded black people as inferior is really boring :p

As for the person who said you need to able to write four essays in 2 hours, that's not true. A 25 mark essay in modern is like it is for any other subject. You get 45 minutes for it and are expected to write a suitable amount for that. As long as you know what you're writing it's not hard to get it in there. It's the content itself that is difficult with modern - there is a lot to remember.

sayrah64

HSC
The subjects my class did were:
WWI
Germany
Speer
Conflict In Europe.
this was pretty useful as the topics were all related or ran together pretty well.
ie. WWI--> Germany after WW1 + Hitler----> Speer (German architect/minister for armaments who was also a friend of Hitler-------> conflict in europe (involving the actions of Hitler and Mussolini in creating tension in europe)
it obviously helps if you are interested in the topics.
as others have said, history carries a heavy workload and you have to be able to remember alot of content as well as important names and dates.
however, i think it is interesting and a good subject to study.:)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
do you have to be good at english and essay writing to do well in it?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
No, but it does help to an extent.

rach19

HSC
Modern is alright, a good teacher helps. There is alot to remember as well as heaps of background reading. The hardest thing would be writing essays in exams because they take ages and assessment tasks because you have to do so many drafts and use quotes etc.

My class is doing WW1, Speer, Germany and Cold War should be fun.
Hope you enjoy modern =)

rhian274

HSC
Modern is seriously a GREAT topic. but it does help to have a good teacher, as it involves a lot of discussions and passing ideas and thoughts around the classroom, not just writing notes.
there is a large amount of background info to know, but it can be mostly interesting
and as long as you can learn to structure essays right, theyre easy!!!!
if you dont like it to begin with, STICK WITH IT, the longer you stay, the better it gets!!!!

ccc123

HSC
Ademir said:
but the person asking has obviously done other essay-ey subjects, like ancient. They obviously like that sort of thing too.

Modern is probably harder than all the subjects theyre already doing, but its not godzilla difficulty. its still possible to do with just a bit of effort, and if you enjoy it, you'll breeze through it.

every subject has alot of content if youre trying to get a band 6 anyway
But zangetsu.xo is right: history essays are very different to English essays. On the most basic level, the difference between the two is in English its how you say it, and in Modern its what you say.

superkid

HSC
Year 12 Modern History

Hello,

I'm a Year 10 student who has been selected to accelerate in Modern History, and so i will be skipping the prelim course..

what do you think about modern history as a year 12 course? is it interesting, is it worthwhile and what do you rate it on a scale of 1-10 in terms of difficulty with 10 being the highest.

if people could reply, that'd be great! im in a dilemma, i dont know whether the subject will be enjoyable or not!

thank you very much, greatly appreciated!!

dodgyv

CEO
HSC
re: Year 12 Modern History

well depends are you able to write a good essay?
to be onest i find history one of the hardest. as in work load.
its interesting if u can keep up.
i was like a top student in year7-10 high distictions in those stupid comps. but i screwed year 11 and 12 up. big time in it. just because i didnt know that 50% is content based 50% is on structuring your essays and all...

its one of the hardest subjects for a pretty average scaling subject. i think... i dont know anymore questions cause i am just blabbering crap

superkid

HSC

well i am good at essay writing.

i mean, ive gotten 100% for english this year and 98% for history, and all my other humanities subjects are up there too. so i do have that sorta skill.

the other subjects ill be doing, if i decide to take up the offer, are:

ext 1. english, 2 U maths, business, legal, TVET accounting.

i am very hard-working and dedicated, and i suppose i am just concerned that since im in year 10 (and will be starting the course in term 4 of this year) i might not have the experience in the subject to be able to keep up.

mandathepanda

HSC

Modern is an amazing course...so interesting..but that said it is ALOT of work and is essay based, so if you don't like essays it may not be the right subject for you to take.
Sometimes I wish I'd taken a slightly less demanding subject instead of modern, but that said I've learnt so much from taking modern in year 11 and 12. If you put in the effort and have a good teacher it can be an incredibly rewarding subject.

Good luck with your choices

dodgyv

CEO
HSC

mandathepanda said:
Modern is an amazing course...so interesting..but that said it is ALOT of work and is essay based, so if you don't like essays it may not be the right subject for you to take.
Sometimes I wish I'd taken a slightly less demanding subject instead of modern, but that said I've learnt so much from taking modern in year 11 and 12. If you put in the effort and have a good teacher it can be an incredibly rewarding subject.

she/he said it right. and i think your a perfect match for modern. Do it. its good.

swathard

HSC

mandathepanda said:

ohh that's good to know that its interesting!!! :D

yeah i quite like essay writing, and im very analytical, which im sure will come in handy : )

hopefully ill have a good teacher, and yes, i am willing to put in the effort.

and thank you for the wish of good luck! i appreciate it.

swathard

HSC

dodgyv said:
she/he said it right. and i think your a perfect match for modern. Do it. its good.
haha thank you!! that's great to hear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)