What's Modern History Like? (1 Viewer)

swathard

HSC
re: Year 12 Modern History

by the way people, swathard is my brother's account!! lol :p just in case you get confused, superkid is my other one, but then i switched comps so yeah.

just lettin' ppl know! :D

Lordie

HSC

Modern is a great subject. I came first in the preliminary course, and am currently ranked 1st in the year 12 course. It's extremely interesting, but as others have said - you need to be committed to writing essays. Lots of essays. Although if you have a great memory, it can often be easy to write these essay's, through events just being easy to recount!

(Do it!)

swathard

HSC

Lordie said:
Modern is a great subject. I came first in the preliminary course, and am currently ranked 1st in the year 12 course. It's extremely interesting, but as others have said - you need to be committed to writing essays. Lots of essays. Although if you have a great memory, it can often be easy to write these essay's, through events just being easy to recount!

(Do it!)
wow ok, lordie, how would you rate it in terms of difficulty and work load compared to business, maths, advanced english and TVET accoutning? coz ill be doing those subjects also! = )

Lordie

HSC

swathard said:
wow ok, lordie, how would you rate it in terms of difficulty and work load compared to business, maths, advanced english and TVET accoutning? coz ill be doing those subjects also! = )
Great to hear mate. Firstly, congratulations on being offered an accelerated course! Well I'll go into brag mode for a minute, heh. I came first in Business and TVET, and 2nd in English last year - and really, Modern was the easiest course for me. Business studies involves TEXT BOOK answers - using the correct terminology etc. etc. TVET is just, solving bits and pieces, but doing it just once a week means a little stress on that day, heh. English is pretty high pressure too. Just a large amount of work, in a short space of time. Maths, there is a lot in the syllabus - but if you work at it, results come your way.

It also depends on the teacher. All of my teachers are excellent, great at communicating their ideas. Others, aren't so great, and can make the course feel 1,000 times worse.

I'll just give you a heads up - I recently (in the holidays) got a traineeship with PriceWaterhouseCoopers, they pay for Uni, and give me a salary. Since you are doing similar subjects to me, I'd advise you to apply for these, with the big companies, when you're in the first half of year 12. Applications generally close mid-June.

jennylicious

HSC

good on ya :D
well first of all i HATEEE modern history, lol yep and i honestly regret choosing it. BUT since your're the complete opposite to me, and you understand the work, then that's great. Like previous posts mentioned, it has a very heavy workload and ..ESSAY ESSAY ESSAY!, so if you rock in essays, no problem ;) hahas

well im off to do my 3 modern essays now which are due tomorrow zzzzzzzzz

dodgyv

CEO
HSC

in terms of how hard.

i say its harder than standard english way harder than 2unit maths
easier than physics easier than Ext history Easier than 3unit maths

i cant see how u can go wrong in modern history. its just the work load, i'm not a studying type as you can see i have a test in 1hour and i'mm answering your questions instead lOl

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC

i don't think you should accelerate modern. it's not a subject that eats into a lot of your y12 study time (write notes consistently, be active in class discussion) and really requires strong skills in both essay writing and historical inquiry (which 1y of modern won't get you, honestly)

i don't know you, but when i see the type of students who score in the mid-high 90s i find it hard to believe a y11 student can pull it off.

ofc that's just me, by all means try :D glgl

and btw, modern is actually a breeze if you keep organised, read extensively (not just what you're given) and practice writing essays.

dodgyv

CEO
HSC

Rhanoct said:
i don't think you should accelerate modern. it's not a subject that eats into a lot of your y12 study time (write notes consistently, be active in class discussion) and really requires strong skills in both essay writing and historical inquiry (which 1y of modern won't get you, honestly)

i don't know you, but when i see the type of students who score in the mid-high 90s i find it hard to believe a y11 student can pull it off.

ofc that's just me, by all means try :D glgl

and btw, modern is actually a breeze if you keep organised, read extensively (not just what you're given) and practice writing essays.
year 11 was pretty much a practice of year12 for me. it gave me clear idea of how i was going to go in year 12. i didnt see much improvements in any of the students from year 11 to year 12. so i have 2 disagree with you, on that. If he has the appropriate attitude towards studying which he/sje does and is organised, determined, reads alot, good at writing essays which i think he/ she stated b4. she or he... should be fined

Anonymous1

HSC

Modern History is a brilliant subject and you may want to consider taking both the prelim, and the HSC course.

The preliminary course is quite interesting, and you will find the terminology you learn during the course will benefit you during HSC topics (particularly in political issues).

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure you're quite articulate, however if you're aiming for a mid-high band 6 your writing has to be quite exceptional (taking the prelim course is just that additional practice).

It's not all about writing good structured essays with 'quotes'. If you want a solid mark
your essays have to be evaluating in style and supporting evidence has to be particularly relevant. Also, don't discount section I of the exam - analysis is often the downfall of most students.

I took Ancient, Modern & Extension history. Take it from first hand experience, the calibre of essays from extension students is quite high and remember you're competing against them - you may want to reconsider accelerating.

wendus

krawr.
HSC

it's a really good subject. very time consuming though! but worth it IMO in the sense that it actually teaches you something useful as opposed to subjects like MATHS [unless you're going to become a mathematician or engineer.]

Anonymous1

HSC

wendus said:
it's a really good subject. very time consuming though! but worth it IMO in the sense that it actually teaches you something useful as opposed to subjects like MATHS [unless you're going to become a mathematician or engineer.]
You obviously have no idea.

MATHS is EVERYTHING.

wendus

krawr.
HSC

oh really? i'm guessing you aced your maths exams.
i haaaate maths (mainly because i don't spend enough time on it... lol.)

swathard

HSC

ohh ok well that's good to know that it's a good subject.

i think i've decided that i probably will accelerate and will be starting in Term 4 of this year and doing the HSC next year when im in year 11 in term 3.

big step, but im dedicated and going to work as hard as i can to get a band 6. im aiming for a 99 + UAI anyway, so I need to do everything I can to try and make sure that I get subjects outta the way.

coz im doing ext. 2 english in yr 12, and tafe accounting course has the HSC done by the end of Year 11 and then year 12 is just some little bits and pieces of computer work - so then i can focus on 4U english, 2U maths and business studies - i will be dropping legal.

wendus

krawr.
HSC

year 11 is defs designed as a practice run for year 12, so it's best to take it seriously. i didn't, so i'm screwing up now. skipping years isn't always good, esp. for a subject like modern which has SO much work in it.

old.skool.kid

HSC

I dont think modern has that much work in it. Its probably my fav subject and the one im doing best in. Yet i study the least for it. You can sort of cheat by just learning one half of a topic. For example i know hardly anything about The Nazi party ideals and all that stuff on SS and SA. I just studied the Weimar republic and i do fine.

myonlyhope90

HSC
Uni Grad

I didn't think it was possible to skip the premilnary course.... ???

The HSC Modern History course in my opinion is really good and it's NOT terribly difficult... I'd rate it 7 or 8 for difficulty. There is a clear difference between a Band 5 and a Band 6... It's definately not a walk in the park.

Depending on your own historical interests and historical skills that you have developed will depend on how well you will do :) Thats why I debate skipping the Preliminary year... It also gives the lead into 'World War I', the core for the HSC course.

Good Luck....

lionking1191

HSC

content wise, not much correlation between prelim and hsc course.

skills wise, it helps, but not compulsory.

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC

Brilliant course
I love it
National study - Germany 1918-39 is just amazing.
Cold War & Gorbs are fascinating too.
I say go with it (super)kid.

wendus

krawr.
HSC

i love modern so much
yes germany is the best!
wwii also awesome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)