Which option module are u doing in physics? (1 Viewer)

LOL™

I invented "lol"
HSC
I will be taking astrophysics as thats what he usually teacher. Although mr teacher (teaches yr 11 & 12) said that we could have a vote between the class.
You guys are pretty lucky if you get to vote. We must do medical phys probably because our teachers don't even know how to teach the other options.
Although... would it be reasonable to request to do a different option? has anyone done this before?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
same. but i want to have an idea, which one has less theory, since im not a theory person.
Pretty sure all the option topics have theory. But imo Astro isnt too bad, 3-4 equations rest is theory... Q2Q i think again 3-4 equations rest theory.

pman

Banned
HSC
You guys are pretty lucky if you get to vote. We must do medical phys probably because our teachers don't even know how to teach the other options.
Although... would it be reasonable to request to do a different option? has anyone done this before?
our teacher didn't even know how to teach the option we did

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
You're most likely better off doing the option topic that has the most candidates doing it (ie. in the state).

So if you have a choice, I'd choose From Quantum to Ducks.

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
You're most likely better off doing the option topic that has the most candidates doing it (ie. in the state).

So if you have a choice, I'd choose From Quantum to Ducks.
If you have a choice do Astrophysics, that's the easiest shit ever.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
If you have a choice do Astrophysics, that's the easiest shit ever.
Yes it may be easy, but you know that Options are scaled with how well the candidates doing those particular options topics did in the main paper.

So say if everyone doing Astro Physics got less than 60% in the core paper but got 100% in the option paper, then that will not be very good. Of course this wouldn't happen usually in option topics that a large portion of the candidates. On the contrary, if most candidates doing Quantum to Quarks got 90%+ in the core paper and 50% in the option paper, then the 50% would be scaled up a bit. Thus it is why you should do the option topic that has the most number of candidates to ensure fair scaling.

Obviously it's a bit more complicated than this, but this is the basic idea.

muzeikchun852

HSC
Yes it may be easy, but you know that Options are scaled with how well the candidates doing those particular options topics did in the main paper.

So say if everyone doing Astro Physics got less than 60% in the core paper but got 100% in the option paper, then that will not be very good. Of course this wouldn't happen usually in option topics that a large portion of the candidates. On the contrary, if most candidates doing Quantum to Quarks got 90%+ in the core paper and 50% in the option paper, then the 50% would be scaled up a bit. Thus it is why you should do the option topic that has the most number of candidates to ensure fair scaling.

Obviously it's a bit more complicated than this, but this is the basic idea.
where can we find out which options topic has the most candidates?

NEGROizzle

HSC
Generally Quanta to Quarks has more candidates just because its pretty much a continuation of Ideas to Implementations and teachers may find it easier to cover IMO. NOT sure where to exactly find which has more candidates though.

twistedrebel

HSC
IIRC Q & Q is done by 65%ish of state, astro and medical by 15% respectively.

irvine

USYD 2011 :D
HSC
lol scaling WITHIN a subject
it's still a little hard to believe that....

+anybody know what proportion of the state do geophysics?
seeing as none of the main textbooks cover it...

muzeikchun852

HSC
lol scaling WITHIN a subject
it's still a little hard to believe that....

+anybody know what proportion of the state do geophysics?
seeing as none of the main textbooks cover it...
most of the textbooks only have astrophy, Q2Q and medical.

irvine

USYD 2011 :D
HSC
does astrophysics have much to do with the space topic, aka motion?
it looks interesting but if there's motion involved i'll commit >>

twistedrebel

HSC
astrophysics looks like more to do with space then any other topic. (dont take my word for it, i just had a flick threw it)

muzeikchun852

HSC
does astrophysics have much to do with the space topic, aka motion?
it looks interesting but if there's motion involved i'll commit >>
it seems to be similar with astrophysics but i wouldnt think there is much about motion.

jbbeaini

HSC
my school is doing quanta to quarks, it looks ok but it does not fascinate me. So I'm thinking of going through with medical physics which looks awesome. Suggestions anyone?

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Past marker's comments.

Generally Quanta to Quarks has more candidates just because its pretty much a continuation of Ideas to Implementations and teachers may find it easier to cover IMO.
Not true. Having done Q2Q is useful for more university courses than the other option modules.

my school is doing quanta to quarks, it looks ok but it does not fascinate me. So I'm thinking of going through with medical physics which looks awesome. Suggestions anyone?
... Read what I said above... Also Medical Physics has quite alot of rote learning, which I don't personally like. (Girls tend to like it though lol)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)