• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Who got offer for Adv Sience @ USyd? (1 Viewer)

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
yeah.....only one degree is a bit thin...and also if u r deciplined only in one area of science....I don't think you will produce anything berillian easily. The fact that I will have chem and phys units throughout my under graduate years...i think I might try the double degree.

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
SeDaTeD said:
Would it be crazy to try and do a double major major in maths + a single major in physics? It seems possible to me if I overload and do 30cp per semester. I'll do 24cp for this semester and see how I handle it.

I love Maths and am pretty able in the subject...but a double major + a phys major.....I won't even try it.:D:eek:

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
I don't think you can do 3 majors in a 3 year degree, unless you can fast track and skip the 1st year units. 3 majors mean 72cp at 3rd year level. Overloading wouldn't really help because that only means you are using up your cp more quickly and finishing your degree earlier. You won't be allowed to enrol further after you've finished 144cp. If you are really that desperate, I guess there is an outside chance you may be able to do it.

1st year: 12cp junior maths, 12cp senior maths, 12cp junior physics, 12cp junior science
2nd year: 18cp intermediate maths, 12cp senior maths, 18cp intermediate physics
3rd year: 24cp senior maths, 24cp senior physics

That program seems rather insane to me. A double major in maths would kill most ppl. If you like it so much, you'll probably do honours in maths. And that involves 8 additional lecture courses and one thesis. That should meet your thirst I think.

Last edited:

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Super Pig said:
I don't think you can do 3 majors in a 3 year degree, unless you can fast track and skip the 1st year units. 3 majors mean 72cp at 3rd year level. Overloading wouldn't really help because that only means you are using up your cp more quickly and finishing your degree earlier. You won't be allowed to enrol further after you've finished 144cp. If you are really that desperate, I guess there is an outside chance you may be able to do it.

1st year: 12cp junior maths, 12cp senior maths, 12cp junior physics, 12cp junior science
2nd year: 18cp intermediate maths, 12cp senior maths, 18cp intermediate physics, 6cp elective
3rd year: 24cp senior maths, 24cp senior physics

That program seems rather insane to me. A double major in maths would kill most ppl. If you like it so much, you'll probably do honours in maths. And that involves 8 additional lecture courses and one thesis. That should meet your thirst I think.
lol...btw superpig, what type of career are u going to go for once u complete your degree?

SeDaTeD

HSC
Yeah, I'm in TSP so I would be allowed to take higher year units in maths. Hmm, it's just a thought in the back of my mind, to do 3 majors. If not, I would do double maths, which is my original intention. I just thought I might need something extra besides all maths, so it might be more 'employable'. Darn, didn't know about the 144cp limit. I'll speak to some staff on enrolment day.

garry007

HSC
N/A
btw guyz...is there ANY form of scaling in uni? Like, if im good in physics, should i do regular physics in order to get a high distinction rather then doing advanced and getting say only a credit? And so, is an 80 in reg phys the same as 80 in adv phys?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
garry007 said:
btw guyz...is there ANY form of scaling in uni? Like, if im good in physics, should i do regular physics in order to get a high distinction rather then doing advanced and getting say only a credit? And so, is an 80 in reg phys the same as 80 in adv phys?
It's more difficult to attain the same mark in an advanced unit than a standard unit.

garry007

HSC
N/A
so i'd be better off doing a standard unit for the marks ? (for grad entry later on?)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
garry007 said:
so i'd be better off doing a standard unit for the marks ? (for grad entry later on?)
there IS scalin... yeh tho it is sorta hard to accept =p

last sem, i could be certain that my raw mark for stat is way below distinction lvl, yet i got 90... an other genius fwnd who got 99.95 for uai and hd wam, doin law/sci, but doin stat normal (btw, i do stat advanced) got 80... so yeh, u see the difference...

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
yep
xiao is right
you can do ok in an advanced exam and still pull off great marks. Whereas to get reasonable marks in normal you have to get like full-marks in the exam. I think doing adv maths is more fun, challenging and more rewarding in the end. Do adv maths in first year and see how you handle it.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
i remember in many maths courses, all the HD's and most of the D's went straight to the advanced group. Most passes and credits (along with fails) went to the normal group. That's just how the scaling works i guess. This happens in physics as well, but not as badly as some maths units.

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
Yes. Take PHYS1901 and PHYS1001 for example. If there were 25 HD's to be awarded, the advanced class would take 23 of them. One of my maths lecturers even stated clearly that the highest mark normal students could expect to get from his course was 84, and they needed almost full mark in the exam to get that. So there is really a big difference. Do advanced courses whenever possible unless you can't handle it.

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
dark_angel said:
lol...btw superpig, what type of career are u going to go for once u complete your degree?
I have been thinking about that for quite some time. My official majors are maths and stats, although I could also claim financial maths or computational science as my major. Maths is truly universal (the same may be said of physics), so there are vastly different paths you can follow after graduation. Here are some possibilities I have been considering.

Finance - Firms and banks are looking for ppl with strong numerial background to correctly evaluate the fast growing zoo of financial products. The quantitative skills required are beyond the reach of most commerce students. My financial maths lecturer said that you don't need a great deal of commerce knowledge to work in the coporate world. A bit of coursework should be sufficient.

IT - some professional commented that some of the recent corporate and bank collapses were partly due to their IT ppl failing to recognise the statistical flaws in their databases. So graduates with expertise in both IT and stats will be in high demand. There is also increasing need for reliable finance software.

Biotech - there are currently some 6000 science and technology PhD students in Australian unis, a large fraction of them doing biomedical research. But only 200 of these 6000 ppl are doing maths/stats, and not all of them are focusing on statistical research. There is a serious national shortage of statisticians, who are needed to analyse the vast volume of biomedical data. Again, you don't need a great deal of biology or medicine in order to do the job. A few biostats courses would do.

Apart from these three, of course there is the honours -> PhD path which is quite traditional for maths graduates. And any other area where modelling skills are in high regard (government jobs, telecom, etc etc).

garry007

HSC
N/A
kewl...thanx alot guyz...cleared things up...advanced subs here i come lol

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
:D

not science related.......justa n00b q. how can i change dat gay phrase below my avator?.."Junior Member"...my ****....I'm 19. :mad: :eek::D

tennille

HSC
LoneShadow said:
:D

not science related.......justa n00b q. how can i change dat gay phrase below my avator?.."Junior Member"...my ****....I'm 19. :mad: :eek::D
You need to have more posts and/or more rep points or have been a member for a while. I'm sure there was a thread on this in the BoS help forum.

SeDaTeD

HSC
So Super Pig, would a maths/stat major be more employable than double maths or a maths/physics major? I'm not entirely interested in stats though.

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
SeDaTeD said:
So Super Pig, would a maths/stat major be more employable than double maths or a maths/physics major? I'm not entirely interested in stats though.
I wouldn't say that. It all depends on what you can do in the workplace. And ppl with the same major(s) can have vastly different capabilities. More than half of the ppl who have maths/stats major(s) did not touch any advanced courses at all. So it's all up to the person. Just do whatever interest you, it'll motivate you to go deeper into the subject area(s), and that's what improves your employability. Employers wanna know what you can do, not just what majors you have.

zeropoint

HSC
LoneShadow said:
as you can see, I'm confused to hell and also can't find (a) unit(s) of study to make up those 6 CPs that I'm short in order to make 24 CPs per semester. So please help. Anything useful is greatly apretiated.

Thanks in Advance
I've been wondering the same thing myself recently. Introductory software development could be useful experience before starting computational science in second semester. However, I'm doubting the usefulness of JAVA to COSC in Matlab or C.

I'm currently thinking about

PHYS 1901 Physics 1A (Advanced)
MATH 1901 Differential Calculus (Advanced)
MATH 1902 Linear Algebra (Advanced)
CHEM 1901 Chemistry 1A (Advanced)
SOFT 1901 Software Development 1/(Adv)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)