• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Who got offer for Adv Sience @ USyd? (1 Viewer)

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
xiao1985 said:
OMG!!! lonely shadow and 0pt!!! wut two spammers =p

any way, just to let u guys know... (sooooooooooooo happy ^^)
i got the invite to 2nd yr tsp and also a few days ago invite to 2nd yr chem ssp ...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!
Bahahahahahaha.........:eek:.....you betta offer some help when zeropoint needs them...:D....I don't need no help.....[*fingers crossed*...*whishing*...*plz help me too duckie*...]

and congrats on being soooooooo nerdy and getting an invitation to tsp:p [*jelous*].

btw...I asked all thos stuff pple about the diff between adv and regular level units of study. They all said pretty much da same thing. But a chem guy summarised it all: "It's [adv level] almost da same as regular level, only without the tediousness of regular level units. [meaning adv level just go faster and deeper...:D *nothing dirty was intended*]"

nesstar said:
I feel so happy to be enrolled and to actually be able to call myself a university student now instead of existing in some kind of void...
u spoke my mind!:D

Tennille said:
Mine only says LH000.
same!

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
just a thought:

all da pple with very high UAIs dat I COULD never dream of has chosen most of their units of study at regular level.......and me....with a UAI of 58.9....chosen all of them at adv level.

does dat mean dat I'm basically Fed up?:D:eek:

zeropoint

HSC
LoneShadow said:
just a thought:

all da pple with very high UAIs dat I COULD never dream of has chosen most of their units of study at regular level.......and me....with a UAI of 58.9....chosen all of them at adv level.

You and me both man. I had to talk my way into the advanced maths subjects coz I didn't do Maths Extension 2 for the HSC, and I'm hoping to take on the TSP for physics as well. I'm starting to think I'll have nooo life when uni starts :eek: . Oh well, not too different from high school I guess.

tennille

HSC
LoneShadow said:
just a thought:

How exactly did you get into the advance subjects? I got 95.3 for my UAI and 86 for my chem HSC mark, and they wouldn't let me take advance chem.

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
zeropoint said:
You and me both man. I had to talk my way into the advanced maths subjects coz I didn't do Maths Extension 2 for the HSC, and I'm hoping to take on the TSP for physics as well. I'm starting to think I'll have nooo life when uni starts :eek: . Oh well, not too different from high school I guess.
Tennille said:
How exactly did you get into the advance subjects? I got 95.3 for my UAI and 86 for my chem HSC mark, and they wouldn't let me take advance chem.

LOL....:D
When I said I'm gonna do adv units...non of them actually asked me about wat I've done before; except the maths lady, and I told her dat I had done Maths ext 2. I just told them I was doing adv science and they said "OK you can do it [or something like dat]":D

btw....you might have to add a few points to my "apparent" UAI :eek::D

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
zeropoint said:
You could always leave TSP till second and third year if you want to have some sort of life. I had to talk my way into the advanced maths as well, but it wasnt too hard since I know a fair bit of the work.

zeropoint

HSC
Tennille said:
What kind of dork would refuse someone with those kind of marks? Bah! If you really want in, just blow them away with your first exam results and I'm sure they'll let you in.

LoneShadow said:
LOL....:D
btw....you might have to add a few points to my "apparent" UAI :eek::D
Hmmm. . . I had a feeling that might be the case :rolleyes:

Xayma said:
I had to talk my way into the advanced maths as well, but it wasnt too hard since I know a fair bit of the work.
lol, yeah man, we rock! :D

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
zeropoint said:
What kind of dork would refuse someone with those kind of marks? Bah! If you really want in, just blow them away with your first exam results and I'm sure they'll let you in.
It was clearly stated in the handbook: 96 UAI AND band 5/6.

Now all I need is to persuade them to let me into maths SSP.

zeropoint

HSC
Templar said:
It was clearly stated in the handbook: 96 UAI AND band 5/6.

Now all I need is to persuade them to let me into maths SSP.
So what? Xayma and I were allowed into advanced maths without even having done the prerequisites in high school. If someone seriously wants to push themselves academically of their own free will, then they shouldn't be restricted of that right, simply because they narrowly miss out on one arbitrary entrance criterion.

Tennille,
If you're unhappy about not making it into the subject, how about you shoot off some emails and make a call to the chemistry department requesting special consideration? Most professors love students who act keen. So even if you don't make it in immediately, you'll be in a better position to negotiate your way in later during the semester.

CrashOveride

HSC
Hey zeropoint,

Can i just ask out of interest, what you got for phys in the hsc? Because i know 1 month prior to exam you were like answering everyones question in the Phys forum, i thought u were some teacher or something =p

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
zeropoint said:
So what? Xayma and I were allowed into advanced maths without even having done the prerequisites in high school. If someone seriously wants to push themselves academically of their own free will, then they shouldn't be restricted of that right, simply because they narrowly miss out on one arbitrary entrance criterion.
Maths Ext 2 is assumed knowledge for the advanced maths units, not a prerequisite. Which is harder to get around.

Tenille, just study hard in chem in first semester, you can get into the advanced one if you do really well on your first test in some cases, or if you just do well later. As zeropoint said, make some emails it shows that you are interested.

tennille

HSC
zeropoint said:

Tennille,
If you're unhappy about not making it into the subject, how about you shoot off some emails and make a call to the chemistry department requesting special consideration? Most professors love students who act keen. So even if you don't make it in immediately, you'll be in a better position to negotiate your way in later during the semester.
Thanks for that. The chemistry guy said to me if there are positions available I can apply during the first week. Hopefully there is.

zeropoint

HSC
CrashOveride said:
Hey zeropoint,

Can i just ask out of interest, what you got for phys in the hsc? Because i know 1 month prior to exam you were like answering everyones question in the Phys forum, i thought u were some teacher or something =p
I ended up with 95 in physics. This was a little lower than I was hoping for, but not too unexpected considering I lost three of the easiet marks in the exam; I mistook the induction motor for an AC synchronous electric motor, can you believe that?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Tennille said:
Thanks for that. The chemistry guy said to me if there are positions available I can apply during the first week. Hopefully there is.
i think u can jsut enrol, even without faculty's permission...

just go to my uni, change the enrolment and voila... u r done...
i am not liable for any consequences taht may be caused tho.... better take bobj's suggestion...

@ zeropt: sigh~~~~~ me disappointed

@ xayma: social life and 1st yr tsp are not mutually exclusive =D
i had to talk alil for my way into adv phys cuz i got 89 (the guide says band6) but when i changed my uos, they didn't even ask my marks... all i said was: "i wanna do adv phys" they r like "ok, there's a letter, take to sci faculty and change ur enrolment"... i thought i needed to do more talkin than taht so i was like o_O

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
zeropoint said:
I ended up with 95 in physics. This was a little lower than I was hoping for, but not too unexpected considering I lost three of the easiet marks in the exam; I mistook the induction motor for an AC synchronous electric motor, can you believe that?

wat('s) are(is) dat?...is dat in physics?

zeropoint

HSC
LoneShadow said:
wat('s) are(is) dat?...is dat in physics?
I'm not even quite sure what they're used for. I hadn't seen an external picture of an induction motor so I just assumed it was something else and wrote about it. Lol, it seemed like a good idea at the time!

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Induction motors are used in various power tools etc. They are actually resonably common, easy variable speed compared to large control systems required for syncrhonous motors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)