• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Who got offer for Adv Sience @ USyd? (3 Viewers)

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Bob.J said:
hey dark_angel (real name preferred :D), haven't seen you for ages. Congrats on your decision to do adv sci, you won't regret it.
I did all adv except bio as I had never done it at the prelim/hsc level. I got into newc this year so I guess i dont need to do the gamsat (phew).
I was surprised when i was in first year, as everyone around (like everyone) me were doing all advanced subjects. All the adv sci guys will be doing all advanced subjects (maybe not bio tho, or no bio at all).
Firstly congrats for getting into newcastle med!!!!!!

lol thanks, i'm really looking forward to starting

omg...i only chose maths and chemistry as advanced

i'm doing maths, phys, chem and bio, and now im thinking i should've taken them all at advanced level, is it really that challenging? i mean they recommend that you do only 24 at advanced level for the year so is there any difference?

in the hsc i did 4u maths, phys, chem, bio and philosophy, so since i was just enlightened by your post i'm considering changing them to all advanced...hmm might have to give it some thought though.

also did u take any prep courses for the umat?

omg i cant beleive u got in, congrats again :)

sorry about the question overload, its just that youve just travelled down the path that i want to travel down...lol

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
yeh big qn overload haha
yeh, adv sci/med sci is a popular route many people take
you don't have to do all of the at the advanced level. Bio involves more work at the advanced level ie. writing extra reports and more lab work (i think), but provides more scaling
physics is much harder at the advanced level, but you'll be able to handle it quite well (just do all the assignments they give you and keep up to date in class)
maths will be easy for you, and chem well, depends on how much u like it (for me, i didn't find the teaching exactly rivetting, more like dead boring)

i did a course ages ago, but it didn't help hardly at all that it's not really worth mentioning to people. I didn't prepare the 2nd time and managed to pull off a much better score. Since you've done it once already it'll be much easier for you to do better this time round. If you got the dosh to do a prep course or get materials then do so. Check ausmedstudent to choose a reputable one.

thanks for congrats :D good luck for adv sci this year !

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Bob.J said:
yeh big qn overload haha
yeh, adv sci/med sci is a popular route many people take
you don't have to do all of the at the advanced level. Bio involves more work at the advanced level ie. writing extra reports and more lab work (i think), but provides more scaling
physics is much harder at the advanced level, but you'll be able to handle it quite well (just do all the assignments they give you and keep up to date in class)
maths will be easy for you, and chem well, depends on how much u like it (for me, i didn't find the teaching exactly rivetting, more like dead boring)

i did a course ages ago, but it didn't help hardly at all that it's not really worth mentioning to people. I didn't prepare the 2nd time and managed to pull off a much better score. Since you've done it once already it'll be much easier for you to do better this time round. If you got the dosh to do a prep course or get materials then do so. Check ausmedstudent to choose a reputable one.

thanks for congrats :D good luck for adv sci this year !
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!

adv units get more scaling!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

oh shit........its all over

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
dark_angel said:
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!

adv units get more scaling!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

oh shit........its all over
well yeh, of course :)
like i did a normal maths unit last year (optimisation) since there was no advanced component. I know i totally aced the exam, probably 90+ raw and i had 100% in all my assessments yet i still got a D. In an adv course (where the adv stream is diff to the normal math stream-since some adv/norm units are the same lectures/material) you can do poorly in an exam and still pull off a hd :p

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Bob.J said:
well yeh, of course :)
like i did a normal maths unit last year (optimisation) since there was no advanced component. I know i totally aced the exam, probably 90+ raw and i had 100% in all my assessments yet i still got a D. In an adv course (where the adv stream is diff to the normal math stream-since some adv/norm units are the same lectures/material) you can do poorly in an exam and still pull off a hd :p

did u have a part time job also?

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
your convo is helpful....but....my problem?:(...anyone remember? ..*sniff*...*sniff*

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
LoneShadow said:
your convo is helpful....but....my problem?:(...anyone remember? ..*sniff*...*sniff*
You should be fine in all of those, but SOFT might be difficult if you've had no programming experience before.

Plebeian

What do you guys think of the Faculty Handbook recommendation that you do no more than 12CP of Advanced units per semester? I am trying to decide whether to do advanced or normal chemistry, in addition to my 12 cp of advanced physics and maths.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Dude, the recommendations are for plebs. Do all advanced, you'll cruise through it;)

SeDaTeD

HSC
I see no problem with it, if you can, take it. I'm taking all my units at adv where possible.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Techie said:
What do you guys think of the Faculty Handbook recommendation that you do no more than 12CP of Advanced units per semester? I am trying to decide whether to do advanced or normal chemistry, in addition to my 12 cp of advanced physics and maths.
normal chem in first year is relatively much easier than adv. Do the adv stream, you'll have a better chance for HD's and D's

the recommendation is for the avg student who doesn't want to do any work. You got 99.90! you should be doing 3rd year maths subjects too :D

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
You should be fine in all of those, but SOFT might be difficult if you've had no programming experience before.

I've done HSC SDD and some programming in VB 6. I'm confident with algorithm design and logical thinking......you think that's enough?..thnx

aND thnx the rest of uz......despite da fact dat u forgot about my problem...:eek:

BTW...Techie was the one who made me worried about all adv units. By presenting the faculty recomendations from da hand book.......:eek:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
LoneShadow said:
I've done HSC SDD and some programming in VB 6. I'm confident with algorithm design and logical thinking......you think that's enough?..thnx

aND thnx the rest of uz......despite da fact dat u forgot about my problem...:eek:

BTW...Techie was the one who made me worried about all adv units. By presenting the faculty recomendations from da hand book.......:eek:
I was worried about doing advanced SOFT without any programming experience (unless you consider HSC SDD and VB experience) but i asked the advisor and she said out of 20 advanced students, 3 have any experience in programming and out of those 3 only 1 would have any experience that could help them in the course (ie. the other 2 would only know basic stuff taught in the first weeks)

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
Ppl with prior programing experience could be advantaged or disadvantaged depending on their attitude. Some think that they know it all and do not pay attention to the material. Since most self-learners are likely to develop some bad programing habits, these guys tend to continue on the wrong track and often end up struggling.

Ppl without prior experience can develop the skills from scratch. They tend to pay more attention and hence are more likely to follow the right ways. There were ppl who entered uni knowing nothing about computing, but graduated with uni medals after 4 years. So no need to worry. Try advanced.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
LoneShadow said:
r u tryin to tease moi?...hmm?....i knu kung fu:D:eek:

hahahahah so do i

edit: hmmm.... i think we should both join the martial arts club at usyd....

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Dude, the recommendations are for plebs. Do all advanced, you'll cruise through it;)
i agree....

my reaction was :" there r normal stream now???"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)