why english is compulsary (1 Viewer)

Nirraic

HSC
i wonder about the same question i understand why we have most parts of the syllabus but creative writing, Shakespeare and poetry why the heck to we have to do those subjects i find them very boring.

but about making chemistry compulsory I'm all for that (Na + H2O = explosion :D)

Last edited:

jenga218

HSC
I would positively die if Chemistry were to become compulsory. :p

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Hahahahaha. Just out of curiosity, how complex can grammar get? My naive self had thought that most students that could get Band 6 have generally mastered most aspects of grammar.

lol, you would be surprised how many people think that knowing what a noun, adjective, verb etc is constitutes a well rounded knowledge of grammar (which tbh is pretty damn funny). And it gets complex, very complex. Languages don't just 'happen' everything is governed by rules- though english likes to fuck off and do random shit quite a lot.

Last edited:

Tofuu

HSC
i don't mind eng even though i don't really know whats going on in class, i just hate the fact that its 100% going to be counted in my ATAR

jenga218

HSC
lol, you would be surprised how many people think that knowing what a noun, adjective, verb etc is constitutes a well rounded knowledge of grammar (which tbh is pretty damn funny). And it gets complex, very complex. Languages don't just 'happen' everything is governed by rules- though english likes to fuck off and do random shit quite a lot.
Oh yes. I had a very traditional French teacher in Year 7 who had us breaking down sentences and identifying each word's role in the construction of a sentence...I can't remember half of it but it was really hard and bored me to tears. It also had me scared stiff as to what high school French and English would be like (High School starts in Grade 9 in Canada). Thankfully I've never had to deconstruct a sentence since.
:bomb:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
You mean like declensions and all that crap? Like dative, nominative, accusative, ablative etc? OK, I'm with you, I'd gnaw my arms off - I had to put up with that crap back in Yr 7 and 8 Latin and Classical Greek. :p

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
You mean like declensions and all that crap? Like dative, nominative, accusative, ablative etc? OK, I'm with you, I'd gnaw my arms off - I had to put up with that crap back in Yr 7 and 8 Latin and Classical Greek. :p
Yes that kind of thing, though english doesn't have as many as Greek and Latin. But keep in mind knowing the cases and that are just the tools, then you have to use them to de-construct/interpret clauses and shiz *dies*.

It's not actually that bad if you are into that kind of thing, but as i said, 90% of students would hate hate hate it.

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Then again, people who would even make formal letters would take the Extension or Advanced English classes anyway. The majority of Standard English people would rather send garbled text messages or emails with punctuation and the swear word or two, or three, or four, or forty.
God, stop being so elitist. It's irritating.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
Then again, people who would even make formal letters would take the Extension or Advanced English classes anyway. The majority of Standard English people would rather send garbled text messages or emails with punctuation and the swear word or two, or three, or four, or forty.
OMG i like to sterotype type much.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
I do Extension 1 and I swear almost every 2nd word. Fucking and fuck and fuckoffski are peppered throughout my spokeon vocabulary. The difference is it goes right out the window when I write essays/creative writing pieces.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
i hate the fact that english is compulsory. :(
also, not all standard students suck.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
A wise fellow once said that english is compulsory in order to prevent Asians from getting all the high ATARs and to stop them from performing as well as they should.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
lol, oh noes, i made a spelling mistake on the internet, please help me oh great english advanced student!! Steer me from my stupid and uncouth ways!

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
1. I think I've heard that HSC needs at least one compulsory subject to function properly, which probably helps determine scaling and differentiate students.

2. If the HSC needs one compulsory subject, then English (either ESL, Standard or Advanced) is by far the most appropriate choice.

00iCon

HSC
1. I think I've heard that HSC needs at least one compulsory subject to function properly, which probably helps determine scaling and differentiate students.

2. If the HSC needs one compulsory subject, then English (either ESL, Standard or Advanced) is by far the most appropriate choice.
If it does... then what about introducing a subject called Genaral Ability?

The way English could work, is that you HAVE to pass it (or you have to do your exam again to get an ATAR) but once you pass, it isn't counted unless it's one of you best 10 units.
Credit goes to me. I want some royalties!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
No, I don't pick on ESL students. That would be slack. My gripe is with people who are from English-speaking backgrounds who can't speak the language, and then go further and mock more capable students or complain that its compulsory when they have little ability in it.

What was the quote again? "The English have no respect for their language, and will not teach their children to speak it."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)