Why tears are wasted on HSC results (1 Viewer)

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
I had a 'fuck the HSC/other ways in' attitude and I got a measly piece of shit score of 75 when I could've easily gotten a 85+. Yes, there are other ways, but I think encouraging people not to worry or not to freak out or that there are alternatives also encourages laziness and a half hearted attitude. If I had to do year 12 over, I'd put in the tears and stress because frankly, it's worth it.

Last edited:

largarithmic

HSC
Nah you see. In life, social skills don't matter that much. You need to be nice, decisive, charismatic, approachable etc. only to the people who matter. For example. I will tell you to fuck off, because simply put, you have no relevance in my life. At all. But, if I was say, a Banker at A&M and setting out a deal, I would approach the client with some expensive liquor, play a round of golf and be exactly what they want me to be. Then I would go back home, stopping at the maccas drive through in my merc sls amg and making sure you don't put ice in my coke. <3 you all.
Again this is exactly the attitude I was calling attention to earlier, which you either haven't noticed or have chosen not to respond to. I know its easy to be pulled in by the celebration of your results and congratulations if you do have something to celebrate about, but seriously grow up and move on: there is much more to the world than whatever shiny four digit number arrived in your SMS inbox last Thursday. And don't go around calling the people who disagree with you failures as well, because even under that incredibly narrow definition of success, wouldn't it be a pity of some of those 'failures' have actually been more successful than you?

More to the point: your idea of "life" is naïve and totally illusory. Real value is not the same thing as monetary worth, and how high up the A&M corporate ladder you are is certainly no measure of whether you have succeeded or failed in life. Watch that video I linked earlier (here it is again, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupToqz1e2g) - you are, as much as me, and as much as the person serving you at McDonald's, something smaller than a speck sitting on a pale blue pixel in the vastness of the universe. Real success is not about making your not even microscopic space on that dot any bigger for the sake of it, its about making the important things in life a bit easier for yourself: getting enough food and shelter being able to support your family; and on a higher level being happy and being a good person. Getting a high ATAR is by no means a bad thing, but if you're disappointed it's by no means the end of the world either - the conventional path enshrined by all too many parents (Asian and non-Asian alike) is neither the only nor the most rewarding path in life.

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
Nah you see. In life, social skills don't matter that much. You need to be nice, decisive, charismatic, approachable etc. only to the people who matter. For example. I will tell you to fuck off, because simply put, you have no relevance in my life. At all. But, if I was say, a Banker at A&M and setting out a deal, I would approach the client with some expensive liquor, play a round of golf and be exactly what they want me to be. Then I would go back home, stopping at the maccas drive through in my merc sls amg and making sure you don't put ice in my coke. <3 you all.
Ahahahahaha

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Lol at Khorne's brutal honesty. Some love it, others don't. He probably doesn't give a shit haha.

HSC
Uni Grad
Again this is exactly the attitude I was calling attention to earlier, which you either haven't noticed or have chosen not to respond to. I know its easy to be pulled in by the celebration of your results and congratulations if you do have something to celebrate about, but seriously grow up and move on: there is much more to the world than whatever shiny four digit number arrived in your SMS inbox last Thursday. And don't go around calling the people who disagree with you failures as well, because even under that incredibly narrow definition of success, wouldn't it be a pity of some of those 'failures' have actually been more successful than you?

More to the point: your idea of "life" is naïve and totally illusory. Real value is not the same thing as monetary worth, and how high up the A&M corporate ladder you are is certainly no measure of whether you have succeeded or failed in life. Watch that video I linked earlier (here it is again, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupToqz1e2g) - you are, as much as me, and as much as the person serving you at McDonald's, something smaller than a speck sitting on a pale blue pixel in the vastness of the universe. Real success is not about making your not even microscopic space on that dot any bigger for the sake of it, its about making the important things in life a bit easier for yourself: getting enough food and shelter being able to support your family; and on a higher level being happy and being a good person. Getting a high ATAR is by no means a bad thing, but if you're disappointed it's by no means the end of the world either - the conventional path enshrined by all too many parents (Asian and non-Asian alike) is neither the only nor the most rewarding path in life.
This. Also, good ATAR does not equate to success in life. It also does not necessarily contribute to an easier life for everyone. What contributes to a better life is helping people, and to also relieve real problems, not necessarily first world problems we may experience (like getting a shitty ATAR for example).

Also, as I reiterate, just because you did well in the HSC doesn't mean that you will do well in university. Success in the HSC does not necessarily cross over in university. In fact, university is most likely much harder than the HSC.

After getting my ATAR, I was feeling a little bit down for a day or two, but then I realized that you should really get over it and focus what's on the future, not try to deal with what you can't deal with.

Lol at Khorne's brutal honesty. Some love it, others don't. He probably doesn't give a shit haha.
Haha his brutal honesty is really heating up the thread :p

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
Success in the HSC, university and the workplace for that matter do not necessarily mean success in life. The most successful and happy people I know have 2 years worth of primary school education and worked as labourers for 30 years.

erob

HSC
Uni Grad
Success in the HSC, university and the workplace for that matter do not necessarily mean success in life. The most successful and happy people I know have 2 years worth of primary school education and worked as labourers for 30 years.
This.

John Lennon was once asked what he wanted to be when he grew up and he said "happy". The teacher said "you don't understand the question" and Lennon said "you don't understand life".

K

khorne

This.

John Lennon was once asked what he wanted to be when he grew up and he said "happy". The teacher said "you don't understand the question" and Lennon said "you don't understand life".
john lennon had millions of dollars and fans. just sayin' keep it real son

Galladrim

HSC
lol no

he's pretty swell in real life

he's better at life than you are and has better social skills than you
His antics on this forum would suggest otherwise.The medium in question is not a shield or excuse for behavior that would be deemed rude in real life.

This kind of cynicism is the reason why people treat each other like crap, rather than people. Look at all the stuff that's done.

RANK 1

HSC
His antics on this forum would suggest otherwise.The medium in question is not a shield or excuse for behavior that would be deemed rude in real life.

This kind of cynicism is the reason why people treat each other like crap, rather than people. Look at all the stuff that's done.
Welcome To The Internet

No one here likes you.

We're going to offend, insult, abuse, and belittle the living hell out of you. And when you rail against us with "FUCK YOU YOU GEEK WIMP SKATER GOTH LOSER PUNK FAG BITCH!1!!", we smile to ourselves. We laugh at you because you don't get it. Then we turn up the heat, hoping to draw more entertainment from your irrational fuming.

We will judge you, and we will find you unworthy. It is a trial by fire, and we won't even think about turning down the flames until you finally understand.

Some of you are smart enough to realize that, when you go online, it's like entering a foreign country ... and you know better than to ignorantly fuck with the locals. You take the time to listen and think before speaking. You learn, and by learning are gladly welcomed.

For some of you, it takes a while, then one day it all dawns on you - you get it, and are welcomed into the fold.

Some of you give up, and we breathe a sigh of relief - we didn't want you here anyway. And some of you just never get it. The offensively clueless have a special place in our hearts - as objects of ridicule. We don't like you, but we do love you.

You will get mad. You will tell us to go to hell, and call us "nerds" and "geeks". Don't bother ... we already know exactly what we are. And, much like the way hardcore rap has co-opted the word "nigger", turning an insult around on itself to become a semiserious badge of honor, so have we done.

"How dare you! I used to beat the crap out of punks like you in high school/college!" You may have owned the playing field because you were an athlete. You may have owned the student council because you were more popular. You may have owned the hallways and sidewalks because you were big and intimidating. Well, welcome to our world.

Things like athleticism, popularity, and physical prowess mean nothing here. We place no value on them ... or what car you drive, the size of your bank account, what you do for a living or where you went to school.

Allow us to introduce you to the concept of a "meritocracy" - the closest thing to a form of self-government we have. In The United Meritocratic nation-states of the Internet, those who can do, rule. Those who wish to rule, learn. Everyone else watches from the stands.

You may posses everything in the off-line world. We don't care. You come to the Internet penniless, lacking the only thing of real value here: knowledge.

"Who cares? The Internet isn't real anyway!" This attitude is universally unacceptable. The Internet is real. Real people live behind those handles and screen names. Real machines allow it to exist. It's real enough to change government policy, real enough to feed the world's hungry, and even, for some of us, real enough to earn us a paycheck. Using your own definition, how "real" is your job? Your stock portfolio? Your political party? What is the meaning of "real", anyway?

Do I sound arrogant? Sure ... to you. Because you probably don't get it yet.

If you insist on staying, then, at the very least, follow this advice:

1) No one, ESPECIALLY YOU, will make any law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

2) Use your brain before ever putting fingers to keys.

3) Do you want a picture of you getting anally raped by Bill Clinton while you're performing oral sex on a cow saved to hundreds of thousands of people's hard drives? No? Then don't put your fucking picture on the Internet. We can, will, and probably already HAVE altered it in awful ways. Expect it to show up on an equally offensive website.

4) Realize that you are never, EVER going to get that, or any other, offensive web page taken down. Those of us who run those sites LIVE to piss off people like you. Those of us who don't run those sites sometimes visit them just to read the hatemail from fools like you.

5) Oh, you say you're going to a lawyer? Be prepared for us to giggle with girlish delight, and for your lawyer to laugh in your face after he explains current copyright and parody law.

6) The Web is not the Internet. Stop referring to it that way.

7) We have already received the e-mail you are about to forward to us. Shut up.

8) Don't reply to spam. You are not going to be "unsubscribed".

9) Don't ever use the term "cyberspace" (only William Gibson gets to say that, and even he hasn't really used it for two or three books now). Likewise, you prove yourself a marketing-hype victim if you ever use the term "surfing".

10) With one or two notable exceptions, chat rooms will not get you laid.

11) It's a hoax, not a virus warning.

12) The internet is made up of thousands of computers, all connected but owned by different people. Learn how to use *your* computer before attempting to connect it to someone else's.

13) The first person who offers to help you is really just trying to fuck with you for entertainment. So is the second. And the third. And me.

14) Never insult someone who's been active in any group longer than you have. You may as well paint a damn target on your back.

15) Never get comfortable and arrogant behind your supposed mask of anonymity. Don't be surprised when your name, address, and home phone number get thrown back in your smug face. Hell, some of us will snail-mail you a printed satellite photograph of your house to drive the point home. Realize that you are powerless if this happens ... it's all public information, and information is our stock and trade.

16) No one thinks you are as cool as you think you are.

17) You aren't going to win any argument that you start.

18) If you're on AOL, don't worry about anything I've said here. You're already a fucking laughing stock, and there's no hope for you.

19) If you can't take a joke, immediately sell your computer to someone who can. RIGHT NOW.

Pissed off? It's the TRUTH, not these words, that hurts your feelings. Don't ever even pretend like I've gone & hurt them.

We don't like you. We don't want you here. We never will. Save us all the trouble and go away.

roryclifford

HSC
RANK 1's post is the biggest joke I have read so far on this forum, including the trolling posts by that maths 'tutor' throughout this year and every other pointless argument I have read/ entered on this forum.

When the Bored of Studies was started it's initiative was to become a website that would provide support for any who accessed it, for school, uni, career advice and social questions. But now, what has it become? A segmented, unattainable realm of 'superiority' where a group of real life friends (from what I can tell) have sought to corrupt the very purpose of the forum. When I started on BOS it was to join a community of people who would help me through my senior years and perhaps even through uni. But now, apart from several mods and a few other posters such as enoilgam and largarithmic, I see this forum as nothing more than a medium by which arrogant, rude and brutal people express their hatred of one another.

Every thread I see has some sort of argument, or key 'players' who belittle and insult all who oppose their viewpoint, and for what? I understand people are different, I understand that we all live in different places, live different lives, have our own different ideologies and views on topics such as Success. But never once did I think someone would post a comment wherein they CLAIM the internet as their own, CLAIM the internet as "The United Meritocratic nation-states". To me this idea is just purely illogical and unjustified, and until such a point that such a silly view of the internet vanishes I will probably not post on this forum again.

I am aware that this probably means I dont understand it, as RANK 1 put, but I doubt I ever will and honestly will not sink low enough as to join the herd.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
its called trolling

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
but really you are having a cry for no reason
the school/uni section is virtually troll-free

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
RANK 1's post is the biggest joke I have read so far on this forum, including the trolling posts by that maths 'tutor' throughout this year and every other pointless argument I have read/ entered on this forum.

When the Bored of Studies was started it's initiative was to become a website that would provide support for any who accessed it, for school, uni, career advice and social questions. But now, what has it become? A segmented, unattainable realm of 'superiority' where a group of real life friends (from what I can tell) have sought to corrupt the very purpose of the forum. When I started on BOS it was to join a community of people who would help me through my senior years and perhaps even through uni. But now, apart from several mods and a few other posters such as enoilgam and largarithmic, I see this forum as nothing more than a medium by which arrogant, rude and brutal people express their hatred of one another.

Every thread I see has some sort of argument, or key 'players' who belittle and insult all who oppose their viewpoint, and for what? I understand people are different, I understand that we all live in different places, live different lives, have our own different ideologies and views on topics such as Success. But never once did I think someone would post a comment wherein they CLAIM the internet as their own, CLAIM the internet as "The United Meritocratic nation-states". To me this idea is just purely illogical and unjustified, and until such a point that such a silly view of the internet vanishes I will probably not post on this forum again.

I am aware that this probably means I dont understand it, as RANK 1 put, but I doubt I ever will and honestly will not sink low enough as to join the herd.
What ATAR did you get?

michaeljennings

HSC
There are definitely pathways other than the HSC, but the HSC is by far the most efficient way to get there.
+1, I only skim read this thread but from what I gather this is what Khorne is arguing as well?

I mean would you prefer to have a really good ATAR or a really low ATAR? sure there are other ways to get places in life but doing well in the HSC is the most efficient.

If you stuff around all year and get a relatively low ATAR you shouldnt really be crying about it because you put in no effort at all.

If you did put in effort and you get a relatively low ATAR in hindsight you probably should have put in more effort

If you put in a lot of effort and you get a relatively low ATAR then dont give up, even without natural talent if youre willing to work hard you can go places in life.

Thats why its better to get a higher ATAR because then youre not in the third category where you have to work heaps hard just to get somewhere.

Thats just my opinion anyway

RANK 1

HSC

the quote box is there for a reason, also stop trying to sound smart and righteous, you're doing a very poor job at it

until such a point that such a silly view of the internet vanishes I will probably not post on this forum again.
and my job here is done

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Also, as I reiterate, just because you did well in the HSC doesn't mean that you will do well in university. Success in the HSC does not necessarily cross over in university. In fact, university is most likely much harder than the HSC.
although I'd say they do correlate quite well!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)