Why tears are wasted on HSC results (1 Viewer)

zhiying

HSC
deep understanding is what separates band 5 and 6 imo

Official

Bring it on
HSC

>>>OMG REVELATION<<<
FUCK. Is this why I got mediocre hsc results?!! I should have taken a rote-learning approach to learning instead of trying to understand everything. x(
no rofl what makes you think that

rote learning is what people do if they want a band 5

deep understanding is actually what you need to get anywhere near a low-mid band 6, to do that you need to have done hundreds of questions

RANK 1

HSC
no rofl what makes you think that

rote learning is what people do if they want a band 5

deep understanding is actually what you need to get anywhere near a low-mid band 6, to do that you need to have done hundreds of questions

definitely does not take hundreds of questions

nuttela

HSC
well umm

hsc isnt the end. the end.

lol if it is. im totally fucked

sydneyitee

HSC
i'd just like to say that what matters most of all in life are your "people skills"

notice that in the real world all of the top jobs are taken by caucasians? its not because they are the smartest (although they will be smart enough), its because they are generally more friendly and interact better than other races (ahem asians).

so just make sure you're a likable person and you'll be getting a promotion far quicker than that smarter but awkward person :)

krizbro

HSC
N/A
nah . people who think that HSC is life are wrong .. my sister-in-law did so bad in high school .. all through out year 7-12 .. ended up getting a UAI of <50 ... began accounting through tafe . worked her way up .. got into UWS .. finished her degree with a bachelor of combus .. received a HD av GPA .. finished CPA .. LG .. she is racking in more than anyone i know .. in a large corporate business with so much experience ... all due to her PEOPLE SKILLS and ability to work her way up in UNI ... dudes .. it is not over .. just go through a point of realisation, overcome regrets and mistakes, and do the best you can do to actually extract that mark you want ... BUT HEY .. LIFE IS SHORT .. LIVE IT UP !

K

khorne

nah . people who think that HSC is life are wrong .. my sister-in-law did so bad in high school .. all through out year 7-12 .. ended up getting a UAI of <50 ... began accounting through tafe . worked her way up .. got into UWS .. finished her degree with a bachelor of combus .. received a HD av GPA .. finished CPA .. LG .. she is racking in more than anyone i know .. in a large corporate business with so much experience ... all due to her PEOPLE SKILLS and ability to work her way up in UNI ... dudes .. it is not over .. just go through a point of realisation, overcome regrets and mistakes, and do the best you can do to actually extract that mark you want ... BUT HEY .. LIFE IS SHORT .. LIVE IT UP !
No one is saying HSC is life, but your sister could have saved 2-3 years by just doing well enough to get into uni from the get go. I am saying people shouldn't validate poor marks by saying other ways exist. They do, but they are all harder than getting straight in.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
That's true but at least it's comforting to know that there are still options for those who are willing to work extremely hard.

uirate

HSC
i'd just like to say that what matters most of all in life are your "people skills"

notice that in the real world all of the top jobs are taken by caucasians? its not because they are the smartest (although they will be smart enough), its because they are generally more friendly and interact better than other races (ahem asians).

so just make sure you're a likable person and you'll be getting a promotion far quicker than that smarter but awkward person :)
THIS x1000000000

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
The only people who say fuck the HSC are people who didn't try, did shit, and now try to validate their choice by saying there are other ways to get in. While true, those ways are way more tedious. Shouldn't have fucked around in school.
Whilst I wouldn't say 'fuck the HSC', I'd say that four months on from the HSC, you realise how little it does matter.

Two years on, I realise I could have probably been a lot less highly strung in Year 12....

sprog

HSC
Even then, many of those who did so well in the HSC do not end up doing well in university. The converse is also true. Take a look at Shadowdude for example, didn't do so well in HSC maths, came to uni, raped maths like crazy (92 in MATH1241). Just because you didn't do that great in the HSC doesn't mean that you won't be able to succeed later in life.

And as for me, I'm going to compensate for my HSC results by aiming for HD wam in uni, just like how my mom got D-HD avg in uni.
Yes. Good HSC results doesn't mean that you will go on to do an equally hard course at university,

and considering the amount of work people do in 1 year of the HSC, is equivalent to the amount of work done in 12 weeks at university,

the HSC isn't the end of life.

And, with ranks like ATAR, there must always be a bottom percentile, no matter how good your results.

Last edited:

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
So my message to any student who is disappointed with their results today: don't worry. Life always works itself out.
yeah, i agree with this. i regretted putting Monash above Melbourne for med, but in the end it worked out okay cuz i ended up getting a $6k pa scholarship from monash after year 1 for academic performance and now graduating with honours.
as Steve Jobs once said: "you can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards"

Sleek_BB

HSC
No one is saying HSC is life, but your sister could have saved 2-3 years by just doing well enough to get into uni from the get go. I am saying people shouldn't validate poor marks by saying other ways exist. They do, but they are all harder than getting straight in.
Lol thanks alot. I worked hard and tried my best for the HSC yet I still got shit. Now what? Too dumb for life?

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes. Good HSC results doesn't mean that you will go on to do an equally hard course at university,

and considering the amount of work people do in 1 year of the HSC, is equivalent to the amount of work done in 12 weeks at university,

the HSC isn't the end of life.

And, with ranks like ATAR, there must always be a bottom percentile, no matter how good your results.
Also take the fact that the HSC and uni require different styles of learning. Thinking and intelligence is more needed in the latter, but hard work is still required in both HSC and uni.

And in real life, a lot of those results in the HSC will not mean a lot especially if you go to work. Good thing in real life is that there is no particular mark that you get for doing a good job in the workforce. Its a good thing coz I don't want to have to worry about marks all the time. :p

Lol thanks alot. I worked hard and tried my best for the HSC yet I still got shit. Now what? Too dumb for life?
He meant if you actually didn't try at all. If you actually tried, then that's a different story. I would actually feel sorry for you.

Last edited:
K

khorne

Yes. Basically. Doesn't mean you won't do well, lots of pretty stupid people make terrible amounts of money.

enoilgam

HSC
Whilst I wouldn't say 'fuck the HSC', I'd say that four months on from the HSC, you realise how little it does matter.

Two years on, I realise I could have probably been a lot less highly strung in Year 12....
So true - once you get to uni, you think "man why did I care so much". I remember hearing this from people when I was in year 12 and I always dismissed it. When I actually got to university I realised that it was true to a great extent.

Awkward_Ninja

HSC
Well, i missed out on medical science (88.00) with my 80.35, but i'm going to UTS, and i'm going to finish my degree, and when i do, i'll be the first person in my family to actually finish a degree.
And you know how i'll finish my degree? On medical science (Or another degree, if there's a more interesting one).
It ain't over till it's over.
And you're not dead, so it ain't over yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)