Year 11 2014 Chat :) (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lpodtouch

HSC
I don't think my stress helps either. I stress out heaps cos I get scared ill fail and then I get to the test and if I don't know a question I panic even though I try to stay calm and then idk.. everything keeps spiralling down and down with every exam I sit.
What I find quite helpful is reviewing the content learned during the day in easing the revision. Gradually, as you approach 1-2 weeks of exams, you should be subjecting yourself to some past HSC questions/prelim papers (e.g. SuccessOne) to consolidate your knowledge. If this does not work however, I would strongly recommend a private tutor in order to fashion a particular lesson structure and learning style.

rawrliongirl

HSC
no they're not lol

you can definitely fix it
I want to fix it, I'm so sick of not being g able to enjoy life. I just don't know how to fix it.
They shouldn't be, then talk to more people :)

Maybe consider lightening your workload ?

You need to hunt down and remove the sources of your stress and/or have some management techniques
Hmm I've run out of people. My friends were no help at all.
I could try that, but how do I lighten my workload?
Yes I do need to get rid of this stress...but that means getting rid of school and moving somewhere far away so I can start fresh and be happy. That isn't possible though :|

rawrliongirl

HSC
What I find quite helpful is reviewing the content learned during the day in easing the revision. Gradually, as you approach 1-2 weeks of exams, you should be subjecting yourself to some past HSC questions/prelim papers (e.g. SuccessOne) to consolidate your knowledge. If this does not work however, I would strongly recommend a private tutor in order to fashion a particular lesson structure and learning style.
Thanks I'll try doing something like that. If I completely fail my yearlies I might try a private tutor... or ill just study all holidays so I can get my confidence back again.

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
Thanks I'll try doing something like that. If I completely fail my yearlies I might try a private tutor... or ill just study all holidays so I can get my confidence back again.
With maths, it's honestly not an easy task to map everything out and look at the reasons as to WHY you're doing poorly. Is it silly mistakes ? Lack of understanding or just a lack of practice ? You need to really identify a reason , otherwise you will find it difficult to effectively study for mathematics. I was at the bottom 10% of my cohort for mathematics in year 7 and now am in the top 25% of the advanced/extension 1 cohort and this was only possible because I targeted weaker areas in order to improve my results. I believe you can do the same, any ordinary person like myself can do it - so have some confidence that you can pull through !! :)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I want to fix it, I'm so sick of not being g able to enjoy life. I just don't know how to fix it.

Hmm I've run out of people. My friends were no help at all.
I could try that, but how do I lighten my workload?
Yes I do need to get rid of this stress...but that means getting rid of school and moving somewhere far away so I can start fresh and be happy. That isn't possible though :|
Drop a unit maybe?

Question is:

Is this stress entirely work related? (Don't have to answer that if you don't want to)

matchalolz

HSC
I don't think my stress helps either. I stress out heaps cos I get scared ill fail and then I get to the test and if I don't know a question I panic even though I try to stay calm and then idk.. everything keeps spiralling down and down with every exam I sit.
I actually never get stressed in exams legit. Um... try treat the test like your maths homework? lol whenever I don't know how to do a question, my reaction is usually like "meh, I'll come back to it later". 99% of the time I'll be able to answer it after doing some other questions. Just try and stay calm because put it this way, one stupid test can't wreck your life

rawrliongirl

HSC
With maths, it's honestly not an easy task to map everything out and look at the reasons as to WHY you're doing poorly. Is it silly mistakes ? Lack of understanding or just a lack of practice ? You need to really identify a reason , otherwise you will find it difficult to effectively study for mathematics. I was at the bottom 10% of my cohort for mathematics in year 7 and now am in the top 25% of the advanced/extension 1 cohort and this was only possible because I targeted weaker areas in order to improve my results. I believe you can do the same, any ordinary person like myself can do it - so have some confidence that you can pull through !! :)
Well, it's a sort of lack of understanding and stress. Idk, usually I get it in class, but I get home and I'll get to a question and not know how to do it and suddenly everything becomes confusing and I question myself if what I'm doing is really right, if I'm over thinking or if I just haven't got a clue of what I'm doing.
I usually can't do maths anymore without checking the answers after I do a question. I have no confidence and never know if what I'm doing is really right. I've come to rely on Checking my answers after every single question that I get scared that I will get it completely wrong in the test..Idk.
Tutoring never really helped either, like I'd understand it there and we'd go through so many questions on it and I'd feel confident but then when I'm left on my own idk whether what I'm doing is right.
Tbh this whole maths problem started in year 8/9 when I had this teacher..I had her for 8,9 and 10 and was gonna have her again this year but I changed classes. I have a good teacher now, but I've lost confidence so I suck in the tests.
Drop a unit maybe?

Question is:

Is this stress entirely work related? (Don't have to answer that if you don't want to)
I don't think i can afford to drop any units, i only do 12 and i can't decide between dropping maths or chem, but my dad doesn't want me to drop either of them.
Idk, it's just school in general, even my friends stress me out now and idek why. I just need to escape from life here so badly. >

Last edited:

astroman

HSC
^should keep 12 IMO, try to carry it for until the first assessments and see how you, if the workload is too much should drop but only if your are strong in ur remaining 10 units.

rawrliongirl

HSC
I actually never get stressed in exams legit. Um... try treat the test like your maths homework? lol whenever I don't know how to do a question, my reaction is usually like "meh, I'll come back to it later". 99% of the time I'll be able to answer it after doing some other questions. Just try and stay calm because put it this way, one stupid test can't wreck your life
It isn't one test though! It's been since last year. My life is already wrecked anyway.
I always leave questions but I never get back to them cos I get stuck on more questions. If I do happen to come back to it, I still don't know how to answer it :( i always go blank when I have exams as well. I'll remember everything before it, but as soon as we get the paper my mind goes completely blank. That stresses me too.

matchalolz

HSC
^should keep 12 IMO, try to carry it for until the first assessments and see how you, if the workload is too much should drop but only if your are strong in ur remaining 10 units.
lol I was actually going to say to drop something :p imo if you study really hard for a whole year it is very unlikely for you to fail. I would drop to 10 units but I like my subjects and would be sad if I had to drop something else besides english extension

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Well, it's a sort of lack of understanding and stress. Idk, usually I get it in class, but I get home and I'll get to a question and not know how to do it and suddenly everything becomes confusing and I question myself if what I'm doing is really right, if I'm over thinking or if I just haven't got a clue of what I'm doing.
I usually can't do maths anymore without checking the answers after I do a question. I have no confidence and never know if what I'm doing is really right. I've come to rely on Checking my answers after every single question that I get scared that I will get it completely wrong in the test..Idk.
Tutoring never really helped either, like I'd understand it there and we'd go through so many questions on it and I'd feel confident but then when I'm left on my own idk whether what I'm doing is right.
Tbh this whole maths problem started in year 8/9 when I had this teacher..I had her for 8,9 and 10 and was gonna have her again this year but I changed classes. I have a good teacher now, but I've lost confidence so I such in the tests.
1. Maybe that's the issue - either you don't understand the concepts completely, or your application of the theory isn't up to scratch (they kinda interlink with each other lol). But, yeah, if it doesn’t click, come at it from different angles. There’s another book, another video, another article, another person who explains it in a way that makes sense to you.
2. NEVER EVER do that.

astroman

HSC
lol I was actually going to say to drop something :p imo if you study really hard for a whole year it is very unlikely for you to fail. I would drop to 10 units but I like my subjects and would be sad if I had to drop something else besides english extension
1 of my friends is doing 13 units with 4u math...

matchalolz

HSC
It isn't one test though! It's been since last year. My life is already wrecked anyway.
I always leave questions but I never get back to them cos I get stuck on more questions. If I do happen to come back to it, I still don't know how to answer it :( i always go blank when I have exams as well. I'll remember everything before it, but as soon as we get the paper my mind goes completely blank. That stresses me too.
if your mind goes blank it's probably because of one of these two reasons:

1. Your mind and body is not in the right state - you're probably really stressed, anxious or tired

2. You don't know the content well enough. Learning how to do something on a shallow level is not enough. You need to be able to apply it in many different situations.

Do you ever practice doing papers under exam conditions at home?

rawrliongirl

HSC
if your mind goes blank it's probably because of one of these two reasons:

1. Your mind and body is not in the right state - you're probably really stressed, anxious or tired

2. You don't know the content well enough. Learning how to do something on a shallow level is not enough. You need to be able to apply it in many different situations.

Do you ever practice doing papers under exam conditions at home?
I'm usually very stressed/anxious in combination with not being 100% confident in everything. I'll be confident in some things but then others ik I will get completely wrong and that kinda throws me off too.
I don't usually have time to do past papers under exam conditions cos I'm usually doing chapter reviews and going over my notes cos I stress and feel like I know nothing.
1. Maybe that's the issue - either you don't understand the concepts completely, or your application of the theory isn't up to scratch (they kinda interlink with each other lol). But, yeah, if it doesn’t click, come at it from different angles. There’s another book, another video, another article, another person who explains it in a way that makes sense to you.
2. NEVER EVER do that.
Ehe..I should probably stop checking the answers after every question. I try not to do it anymore but it never works cos I feel like I've done everything wrong. :S

matchalolz

HSC
I'm usually very stressed/anxious in combination with not being 100% confident in everything. I'll be confident in some things but then others ik I will get completely wrong and that kinda throws me off too.
I don't usually have time to do past papers under exam conditions cos I'm usually doing chapter reviews and going over my notes cos I stress and feel like I know nothing.

Ehe..I should probably stop checking the answers after every question. I try not to do it anymore but it never works cos I feel like I've done everything wrong. :S
How regularly do you do your homework?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)