• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Science and Math vs Humanities and the Arts (2 Viewers)

jeshxcore

Premium Member :)
HSC
i don't know.
i'm extremley good with humanities.. i understand it well, but i'm very bad with science, except i do quite well in analyzing the experiments and relating it to the wider world.
i'm bad with theories in science.
im alright with maths. i just need to do more everyday and i'll do great.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
maths may be a 'universal' language but its cold, hard and lifeless. It has that ONE right answer and everything else is completely useless to you.

your quote didn't work either.
I really think this is a terrible thing to say, maths helps us to explain, understand and appreciate the world we live in, like literature does but just in different ways. I also think its pretty silly to get all huffed up about the importance and beauty of passion in one subject and then completely shoot down another persons passion in a different subject.

Last edited:

Schoey93

HSC
Middle Ground. I did extension Maths and English. :D

I was better at mathematical type subjects up until my senior years, at which point humanities won out. I had more interest in them and the concepts they expressed.

Not that I still don't mind some logic now and again. :)
That somes up my position perfectly...you wouldn't happen to be Troy Freedburn?? By any chance......?

Schoey93

HSC
I really think this is a terrible thing to say, maths helps us to explain, understand and appreciate the world we live in, like literature does but just in different ways. I also think its pretty silly to get all huffed up about the importance and beauty of passion in one subject and then completely shoot down another persons passion in a different subject.
Very well put, Tammy. ;-) L.O.L

I am going to rep you straight away (I hate that term.......:()

James

lolokay

HSC
maths may be a 'universal' language but its cold, hard and lifeless. It has that one right answer and everything else is completely useless to you.
blasphemy!

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
doing 4u english and 4u maths leads me to the conclusion, yet again, that maths is waaaay more interesting. science is also damn interesting - so many things we haven't discovered yet, so many things to explore....

the humanities have post-modernism, and that's it. clearly science wins again :D
This is exactly why i love ancient history :p

FTW

HSC
Science and Maths, since its more logical and less abstract. However English is an exception. I neglect Art because I remember in year 7 and I wasn't able to draw a three dimensional picture. Childhood memories seem to stalk me.
ROFL! you sound like me. I came 2nd last in art because I couldn't paint a person. I looked like a colourful blob.

English is sooo hard to do well in.
+1
I detest english. Hate the analysis BS but i don't mind writing stories.
!!!! I couldn't agree more +1
, but the arts are pointless. especially ENGLISH!!!!! what a waste of time analyzing stupid texts which have nothing to do with anything and will help us with absolutely nothing in our lives. i guess my main point is that english is the worst subject and i hate it. but thats just me.
I have to agree here. The only situation endless essays on book structures and concepts and themes would help you is if you are a book analist? for a newspaper? idk it seems pretty silly to me.

I like maths alot, I'm not particulary fond of science, but I like geography and hate english and history. I stand on middle ground.... kind of (Although I think maths would have to win)

HSC
Hey guys, you know why they get you to analyse texts in English?

Because you need essay writing and critical thinking skillz in University. Pretty much all courses, dearies.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
ROFL! you sound like me. I came 2nd last in art because I couldn't paint a person. I looked like a colourful blob.

+1

!!!! I couldn't agree more +1

I have to agree here. The only situation endless essays on book structures and concepts and themes would help you is if you are a book analist? for a newspaper? idk it seems pretty silly to me.

I like maths alot, I'm not particulary fond of science, but I like geography and hate english and history. I stand on middle ground.... kind of (Although I think maths would have to win)

Say wha? A book anal-ist?

Err, anyway. The arts are supposed to be about expression, and the school system doesn't really allow for that, but only because they have to regiment our study in a way that can be eventually assessed (via the HSC).

I understand why some would enjoy science and maths. But the whole 'English is pointless' argument can be thrown straight back. Will trigonometry really help me in life? Will learning chemical formulas enlighten me?

No probably not. But that's just me. Again, it comes down to subjectivity and personal preference. One subject can't actually be better than the other, because there's nothing to measure it by!

klaris

HSC
To clear everything up:

As stated before, I'm a humanities person. I love history and English and all the rest. I'm passionate about it and that is just me.

I fully realise that other people detest English even though they may be good at it and the best in their year. Ditto for maths.

When I say 'maths is cold, hard and lifeless.' I'm just saying what I believe. I know some people may not see it that way but it's just what I think. I detest maths in any way, shape or form.

I see the usefulness of maths and how handy it will be in future life and how important it is and (I've had these facts repeated to me various times when I've flatly told teachers/career advisors that no one is going to make me do maths for another year) that I will never be able to do ANYTHING without doing HSC maths.
Evidently, I've ignored these people who, although they fully know that I am horrible at maths and despise it, try to push a subject on me that I hate with a passion.

I know that some people are passionate about maths and science and that is just them. Just like some people hate sitting in English trying work out why TKM had just a big impact and was groundbreaking. Just like some people hate sitting in maths trying to work out the value of x in trig.

We all have subjects we hate, a bulk of them probably. Some people like english. Some people like maths.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Schoey93 said:
That somes up my position perfectly...you wouldn't happen to be Troy Freedburn?? By any chance......?
Nope. Not at all. :D

This is exactly why i love ancient history
more to know in science/maths than there is in history tho
Though technically, wouldn't everything discovered previously in Maths/Science be history? The may not be covered in the HSC framework, but they're definitely a part of history. Thus, more to know in history. :)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
By the events that surround that discovery are history. No discovery can exist independent of context. Thus discovery is history.

I'm not talking about someone solving a simple equation. I'm talking about the big discoveries in Mathematics and Science. Each of them are historical, because they take place in a pre-existing timeframe, and are dependent on their contextual construct.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Of course it can be useful outside its given context. A formula which can only be used in one situation is a very little use in Mathematics and Science.

However, every principle which has been determined in Mathematics and Science has been developed in some place and time. Thus, its development is still history. It cannot existing independent of history. Thus, while you can do Mathematics and Science without an understanding of the history behind it, it could not physically (or metaphysically for that matter) exist without a history. Everything present will become history, thus, their development is now our history.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)