• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do you believe in God? (3 Viewers)

Do you believe in God?

• Total voters

RANK 1

HSC
Re: Do you believe is God?

So you say God is not handling things the way that an omnipotent, omnibenevolent God should? But then, you have to make a judgement...how does an 'omnipotent, omnibenevolent' God handle things? Is this not reflective of your own judgement's and criteria, set by you and your perspective of what God should ideally do? Thus, you are indirectly, knowing or unknowingly stating that God isn't doing things the way you think God should, and therefore, God doesn't exist. This is a common mistake made by most atheists.

Yes, the onus is on me, if I wish to claim God exists. However, the onus is on you to prove that 'God' should handle things in the way that an 'omnipotent, omnibenevolent god' should. Why should God handle things in a specific way, as you claim? These standards of how God should handle things, ultimately, are standards set by you, are they not?

Inevitably, to reject God, or any entity for that matter, you must have a definition. Think in the shoes of a theist, now try to define God. To a theist, on a metaphysical level, what is God?
im saying that god is not doing things the way god should according to his description in the bible.

(Psalms 116:5 NIV) The LORD is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion.

(Deuteronomy 4:31 NIV) For the LORD your God is a merciful God; he will not abandon or destroy you or forget the covenant with your forefathers, which he confirmed to them by oath.

(Ephesians 4:24 NIV) and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

(1 John 4:16 NIV) And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him.

(1 John 1:5 NIV) This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.

noworriez1

HSC
N/A

lmao

this just gets funnier

keep going please

A Grade comedy

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad

im saying that god is not doing things the way god should according to his description in the bible.

(Psalms 116:5 NIV) The LORD is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion.

(Deuteronomy 4:31 NIV) For the LORD your God is a merciful God; he will not abandon or destroy you or forget the covenant with your forefathers, which he confirmed to them by oath.

(Ephesians 4:24 NIV) and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

(1 John 4:16 NIV) And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him.

(1 John 1:5 NIV) This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.

Like I said, the Bible, Christianity and ALL religions for that matter, are MAN MADE. How do we know this description of God in the Bible is the way God should be doing things? Does not the Bible say: "For they provoked Him with their high places, And aroused His jealousy with their graven images" (Psalm 78:58), and, "You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God” (Exodus 20:4-5). Christianity, like all religions is a means of comprehending God, and achieving spiritual salvation. Quoting the Bible/Religious texts is not proving anything.

Also, you didn't answer my question.

Originally Posted by alstah
Inevitably, to reject God, or any entity for that matter, you must have a definition. Think in the shoes of a theist, now try to define God. To a theist, on a metaphysical level, what is God?

RANK 1

HSC

that question was wat i was trying to get you guys (namely noworriez1) to answer, my definition of god is 'god is a fictional being made up by humans as means to explain the mysteries of the universe'. i dont know what your definition of god is which why ive been asking noworriez1 for about 2 pages, but he doesnt seem to want to answer for some odd reason

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad

that question was wat i was trying to get you guys (namely noworriez1) to answer, my definition of god is 'god is a fictional being made up by humans as means to explain the mysteries of the universe'. i dont know what your definition of god is which why ive been asking noworriez1 for about 2 pages, but he doesnt seem to want to answer for some odd reason

Still didn't answer my question. From the point of view of a theist, define God.. Obviously, from the perspective of an atheist that is the definition.

So, from your perspective, to a theist, what is God?

LonelyWolf

HSC

I'm atheist and i don't believe in god blah blah blah blah blah

RANK 1

HSC

i assume that it would be an omnipotent, omnibenevolent, omniscient, perfect being

noworriez1

HSC
N/A

There isn't a sole definition (3rd time now)

It would be unfair to let mine stand for the rest of Christianity as a subject of debate which would reflect, ultimately, on the religion

But by all means, let the show go on

Garygaz

HSC

you are plain, 100%, unequivocally wrong. i must not need a definition to reject something which there is no evidence for. i simply seek knowledge through logic and science, which over hundreds of years has disproved religion on the cosmos, on creationism and many other things. why would you presuppose that a god must exist? it is a thought without merit, without evidence to purport it.

the gap in knowledge which those of faith claim can only be answered by god is wrong. first of all they knew not of how life could exist from no life at all, which science explained. religion explained that the world was only thousands of years old, to which science also provided evidence to the contrary. existence and our universe doesn't need a god, only your fragile mind does.

if an ancient greek man came up to you, and told you you must need a definition to reject zeus as the creator of everything, wouldn't you just tell him, 'why?' similarly, why can i just not reject any of the 1000s of gods that still exist today.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

Like I said, the Bible, Christianity and ALL religions for that matter, are MAN MADE. How do we know this description of God in the Bible is the way God should be doing things? Does not the Bible say: "For they provoked Him with their high places, And aroused His jealousy with their graven images" (Psalm 78:58), and, "You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God” (Exodus 20:4-5). Christianity, like all religions is a means of comprehending God, and achieving spiritual salvation. Quoting the Bible/Religious texts is not proving anything.

Also, you didn't answer my question.
no, Islam is GOD MADE

jezzmo

Now lactating. Sample me.
HSC
N/A

you are plain, 100%, unequivocally wrong. i must not need a definition to reject something which there is no evidence for. i simply seek knowledge through logic and science, which over hundreds of years has disproved religion on the cosmos, on creationism and many other things. why would you presuppose that a god must exist? it is a thought without merit, without evidence to purport it.

the gap in knowledge which those of faith claim can only be answered by god is wrong. first of all they knew not of how life could exist from no life at all, which science explained. religion explained that the world was only thousands of years old, to which science also provided evidence to the contrary. existence and our universe doesn't need a god, only your fragile mind does.

if an ancient greek man came up to you, and told you you must need a definition to reject zeus as the creator of everything, wouldn't you just tell him, 'why?' similarly, why can i just not reject any of the 1000s of gods that still exist today.
"reject" is a verb that does require a quantifier to make any sense. You cannot just "reject" (maybe as some kind of general personality trait?).

So I disagree with you on that but ask why you would need to be on the defensive in the first place? "Not accepting" a proposal/belief is all that is needed to do everything you seem to need "reject" for. The burden of proof should be up to the dreamers and the creators of baseless claims. You cannot just create a hypothesis and call it a theory. But by all means, they can keep it as a hypothesis if they wish. Create away!

I would reject the concept of any omniscient, omnibenevolent and omnipotent being on the basis that when you combine all three traits, a multitude of paradoxes is created.

I don't think I could reject "a higher power" without first outlining the meaning of such a vague reference - which could simply refer to the entire product of space and time that exists beyond your mortality.

Last edited:

boris

Banned
HSC

jezzmo what was that thing called that you got me to read
the god something
i read *most* of it but cant remember what it was called

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

There isn't a sole definition (3rd time now)

It would be unfair to let mine stand for the rest of Christianity as a subject of debate which would reflect, ultimately, on the religion

But by all means, let the show go on
If you don't have a definition of God then you believe in nothing and are an atheist. :O

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad

Like jezzmo said, ""reject" is a verb that does require a quantifier to make any sense. You cannot just "reject" (maybe as some kind of general personality trait?)."

Also, I asked you to define God because usually you define the topics of a debate before you begin debating. How can one have an argument without a definition of what they are arguing? That's illogical.

"similarly, why can i just not reject any of the 1000s of gods that still exist today."

Make the distinction between religion and God. God knows no religion. Religion is a means of comprehending God and achieving spiritual salvation. Ancient societies created religion, but it does not mean they created God.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)