• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

And so I turned on my new PC... (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
hahah omg

if the guy in the video jumped in front of a train then i guess you should do it too aye?

ahahahahaahahahahaahhaahaahahahahahahah

r u srs??

do you understand the meaning of grounding or earthing??? clearly you don't and neither does the guy in the video (haven't watched it though)

plz read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_(electricity)
yeah I know that. The metal has to physically touch the floor. but like why the fuck wouldn't a PC professional do it.

Edit: because I am touching the ground, can electricity be grounded through me? right? highly relevant: http://www.wikihow.com/Ground-Yourself-to-Avoid-Destroying-a-Computer-with-Electrostatic-Discharge

Last edited:
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah I know that. The metal has to physically touch the floor. but like why the fuck wouldn't a PC professional do it.

Edit: because I am touching the ground, can electricity be grounded through me? right?
NO

not the floor or you, the metal has to be touching the grounding circuit of your house (i.e. the power cord must be plugged in)

and who is this PC professional that you've been talking about?

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
NO

not the floor or you, the metal has to be touching the grounding circuit of your house (i.e. the power cord must be plugged in)

and who is this PC professional that you've been talking about?
That guy from newegg.

HSC
Uni Grad
I just built mine on a wooden table outside my house, it did have carpet underneath but didnt tread on it (stayed on cement), had a roof overhead so I just assumed that would be decent enough

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
clearly you dont know the difference between static electricity and mains electricity.
What are you on about? I'm talking about static electricity here. idc about mains atm.

btw, I ruled out that the graphics card is NOT the problem. So most likely a mobo issue. I can quickly press an option to boot to the BIOS, but then a split second after, those lines reappear.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
What are you on about? I'm talking about static electricity here. idc about mains atm.

btw, I ruled out that the graphics card is NOT the problem. So most likely a mobo issue. I can quickly press an option to boot to the BIOS, but then a split second after, those lines reappear.
Mate.

Even with the PSU plugged in or not, ~YOU~ are still going to be statically charged.

The PSU should be turned off and unplugged due to safety reasons, not for discharging the thing.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
he's doing it wrong, he's not grounding himself at all
Guess he was just lucky then. My friend also didn't use any form of grounding and had no problems what so ever. I guess it's just a gamble then. But I wouldn't risk it.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Mate.

Even with the PSU plugged in or not, ~YOU~ are still going to be statically charged.

The PSU should be turned off and unplugged due to safety reasons, not for discharging the thing.
The site said it was safe to do so, provided that the PSU has an I/O switch to turn off the power, but retain grounding capabilities.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
The site said it was safe to do so, provided that the PSU has an I/O switch to turn off the power, but retain grounding capabilities.
Qualified IT Technician vs a website.

Ho Hum, i wonder who to listen to.

Please tell me you have something other then a SHAW PSU.

HSC
Uni Grad
i've never ever done anything to purposely ground myself either

because really the chances of damage due to ESD are very very slim and i just can't be fucking bothered

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
you need to try to isolate the problem, disconnect everything you don't need e.g. HDD, ODD.
only use one ram stick
use integrated graphics (if applicable)

then report back
Okay after doing all this (and disconnected audio and USB cables, as well as SSD) a message appeared and said. "Loading OS, failure to load OS, please insert a HDD/SSD" So maybe it could be a SSD or HDD error?

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Qualified IT Technician vs a website.

Ho Hum, i wonder who to listen to.

Please tell me you have something other then a SHAW PSU.
So what do you recommend me to do? to remain static safe for my PC?

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
Okay after doing all this (and disconnected audio and USB cables, as well as SSD) a message appeared and said. "Loading OS, failure to load OS, please insert a HDD/SSD" So maybe it could be a SSD or HDD error?
LOL you're fucking fine, get a goddamn OS, seems like one of those components you dc'ed were at fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)