HSC 2012 MX1 Marathon #1 (archive) (1 Viewer)

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Re: 2012 HSC MX1 Marathon

In those days there was no year 12. 1967 was the first year 12.

So it was the equivalent of our year 11 students who did those questions.

lol indeed.
Just a question, if don't mind answering... How did you find the Level 1 (or whatever maths course you did) when you did it? And how did you go in it? Just curious -- that's all.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

I'm flicking through the papers from 1960 onwards, and they have:

- Linear Algebra (including matrices and curve rotations)

- Convergence/Divergence tests

- Number Theory

- Series expansions.

The above are not taught until University nowadays.

HOWEVER, I think from the student's perspective (from that time period), it would have been normal, since they have been learning it for several years.

These topics would seem to be alien to the HSC student nowadays, since they are not taught.

Though I'm quite convinced that if you somehow acquired a time machine and stole a 'last year of highschool' student from the 1950's, then put them up against a 4U student from 2011, the 1950's person would destroy the 2011.

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A

The main thing to remember when comparing leaving certificate to HSC is (regardless of content) it was the equivalent of year 11 students who sat the leaving certificate.

Year 12 was only added in the year of the first HSC exams in 1967 as a result of the Wyndham Report of 1957 and the Education Act 1961.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A

The main thing to remember when comparing leaving certificate to HSC is (regardless of content) it was the equivalent of year 11 students who sat the leaving certificate.

Year 12 was only added in the year of the first HSC exams in 1967 as a result of the Wyndham Report of 1957 and the Education Act 1961.
Did you do the Level 1 course? If so, did you find it difficult at the time when you did it?

nightweaver066

HSC

Another question in the case that people have not done polynomials or feel intimidated by the nature of those questions..

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

Another question in the case that people have not done polynomials or feel intimidated by the nature of those questions..

Agreed, I think lowered key questions will encourage more people to post. :)

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A

Nope. My Questions are OK for Extension 1 students. Here is the solution to the 1920 one:

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

Being within the 3U syllabus does not necessarily equate to being okay for 3U.

For example, the 4U 'Harder 3U' topic. Why else is it put into the Extension 2 course?

Upper and Lower bound approximation for integrals are most surely within the 3U course. In fact, it can even be done using methods from 2U.

However, they are never put into 2U exams because they are simply too difficult. It may be within the scope of the 2U syllabus, but the skill of a person doing 2U is not enough to be able to competently do such questions.

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A

An Extension 1 HSC Question 7 is Harder 3 Unit.

A 2 Unit HSC Question 10 is Harder 2 Unit.

An Extension 2 HSC Question 8 is Harder 4 Unit!

See the pattern?

In fact these are called Component B questions and they are expected of 2 unit, Ext. 1 and Ext. 2 students (but of course much more prevalent in Extension 2.) They should not be ignored by Extension 1 or even 2 Unit students.

Here's a more thorough explanation of Component A and B:

Component A:

This Component is primarily concerned with the student’s knowledge, understanding and skills developed in each Content Area listed in the syllabus. In measuring attainment of this Component, assessment of the student’s ability to recognise which skills are appropriate to the solution of standard problems should be included.

Component B:

This Component is primarily concerned with the student’s reasoning, interpretative, explanatory and communicative abilities. To measure attainment will involve assessing the student’s ability to:

• understand information given verbally or in written, diagrammatic or graphical form, and express information given in one form in other ways;

• analyse and solve unfamiliar problems, construct logically sound solutions and recognise limitations to the validity of solutions;

• explain knowledge, methods or aspects of a solution using written and/or spoken language and diagrams;

• compare various methods of solution in terms of efficiency and breadth of application.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

This one is slightly challenging, but not hardcore difficult (though it may require you sit there and think carefully) so I think it is more suitable for Ext1 level given that it only uses 2 unit results.

Find the value of the following limiting sum

Alternatively, a relatively easier problem:

Last edited:

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

Am I correct Treblie? :)

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

The trend you demonstrate is undeniable (with a few exceptions such as 2009 HSC, where all of Q8 was just Harder 3U).

What you showed us is what should theoretically be happening in the HSC.

However in practice, it may not be so.

I have done and seen several HSC/Trial papers, but I have very rarely encountered questions of that difficulty in the exam.

Those questions are excellent for any 4U student practising Polynomials (since such questions are everywhere!), but I think they would be too difficult for someone doing purely 3U.

Perhaps they are good for a student who does 3U/4U, but not for 2U/3U.

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A

It's 7/4.

Last edited:

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A

No. You were right the first time. It's 7/4. I made a silly mistake. But here is a different method:

Last edited:

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A

Trick question.

Examine

same
HSC

For Cambridge 3u Year 11, should I do the extension part? I'm finding it quite difficult though will the syllabus need me to do it?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

For Cambridge 3u Year 11, should I do the extension part? I'm finding it quite difficult though will the syllabus need me to do it?
Though you would never see those questions in your Year 11 examinations, they are quite enjoyable to do!

Examine

same
HSC

Though you would never see those questions in your Year 11 examinations, they are quite enjoyable to do!
So should I stay with the first 2 and attempt the extension sometimes then?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)