Are all Korean guys chauvinist? (1 Viewer)

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm I'm not sure because since then, I just neglected all Korean societies (since also from what I hear, they're just all about 1.hierarchy and 2.drinking). I like drinking but I've heard that they are pretty much the ONLY sort of events they have. I might be wrong on this though. Btw I'm actually a fob Korean myself lol (still doesn't help that 오빠라불러줘 is kinda disgusting to have on a society shirt).
Similar story in my 'hood.

LOL, make one! I can't wait to see how people saying "오빠라불러줘" will respond to that, but then it may also sound like you just don't have an older brother (which is not the intended meaning!).
Haha yeah maybe I will. ROFL I didn't realise it could also be interpreted like that; which would be pretty lame. :blink2:

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
Personally I would never join a society which is essentially defined by race.

Whether or not they accept people of different races, I think it's an absurd way to define an organisation. Thinks like this can remain as informal networks.
Strong opinion! But yeah I think I agree with your point.

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
@OP, okay being serious now.

Oppa is favoured by alot of Korean guys (especially if the female is younger), they think it's cute or attractive when females say it, only reason I can think of in my head. I find it pretty ridiculous but that's Korean culture for you.

Also Koreans are very proud of themselves, nationalism is heavily instilled in every one of them(Just look at the world cup and sporting events 'Red Devils' and etc, Dokdo and alot of scenarios). Korean ego-ism is also very heavy... this is not exaggerated it's pretty true.

Finding more Korean friends is a great way to start and to resolve your troubles ( I use to be in the same scenario as you). Also any cultural background is recommended, why should race/culture matter in relationships? But these days alot of Korean guys are into fob girls... pretty hilarious haha... that's where my joke came from above ^^^ Korean guys (Australian born or not) have an commonality of not being too attracted to bananas.

Also questions like this shouldn't be asked on BOS :)... not your best resource.
Thanks krnofdrg. Yeah I take all your points about Korean culture and nationalism.

Sorry I didn't really make myself clear in my OP, but I'm not freaking out about my Korean friends or anything like that. It's just that I find that Korean guys are disproportionately more likely to hold on to historical Korean cultural values, whereas my female friends are a lot more sympathetic to Western ideals and values, and I wondered if other people had similar experiences.

As for what I said in an earlier reply about "being in a fix", well, on the strength of your explanation of Korean nationalism and what you call "ego-ism" I think you would well understand the environmental pressure around me to meet a Korean guy. As well as the fact that, even if the culture is, in LonelyWolf's terms, "shit", it is still part of my heritage and it could well be better for a relationship if both parties can relate to each other within those "shit" cultural terms lol.

Having said all that, I totally agree that at the end of the day race/culture should not matter.

That's fascinating that you say that most Korean guys are more into fob girls than bananas. It makes sense, because the fob culture has more benefits for guys, and the banana culture has more benefits for girls.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks krnofdrg. Yeah I take all your points about Korean culture and nationalism.

Sorry I didn't really make myself clear in my OP, but I'm not freaking out about my Korean friends or anything like that. It's just that I find that Korean guys are disproportionately more likely to hold on to historical Korean cultural values, whereas my female friends are a lot more sympathetic to Western ideals and values, and I wondered if other people had similar experiences.

As for what I said in an earlier reply about "being in a fix", well, on the strength of your explanation of Korean nationalism and what you call "ego-ism" I think you would well understand the environmental pressure around me to meet a Korean guy. As well as the fact that, even if the culture is, in LonelyWolf's terms, "shit", it is still part of my heritage and it could well be better for a relationship if both parties can relate to each other within those "shit" cultural terms lol.

Having said all that, I totally agree that at the end of the day race/culture should not matter.

That's fascinating that you say that most Korean guys are more into fob girls than bananas. It makes sense, because the fob culture has more benefits for guys, and the banana culture has more benefits for girls.
I'm not particularly familiar with why you think Korean males are more likely to hold on to historical Korean cultural values, I've never encountered it, or maybe rarely. Not too sure lol haha.

Ignore Lonelywolf, he's an idiot, he has no idea on how brilliant the Korean culture is. And don't get me wrong, I love the Australian culture much much more.

To your last point. Well from a Korean guy's perspective and also alot of people around me who has experienced both the Banana and Fob culture significantly throughout out lives, mainly guys like the FOB culture because the girls are more well dressed or fashionable (fob fashion like k-pop style), have a more prettier/cuter face (you know that typical Korean-fob look) and there is alot other stuff. This knowledge is from personal experience.

I'm not sure how the banana culture/fob culture has benefits, shouldn't matter regardless of gender, or I don't really understand what point your making. But i find these days, Koreans all in general love the fob culture well from my social experience. Banana culture is pretty dead now or non existent.

Also as an Korean Australian, we should also have some idea of the Korean culture or experience(Meaning knowing the language, eating the food and etc) well that's my belief. However it should always come second. First priority is always the Australian culture which alot of Koreans tend to forget and go around in their own little community.

Last edited:

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
Touché! But I didn't know any better fora. Don't suppose you could recommend one? :(
Well I would suggest sites like Allkpop, Crunchyroll and you know all those Koreanish/Asian sites that have a huge amount of knowledge on this stuff, I gurantee it would solve your problem. BOS is your very very last option LOL.

We've been getting alot of hilarious Korean threads these days, the BOS community has been getting a bit annoyed :)

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
I lol'ed at Bannana culture. Wth is that?
Banana is a little term we refer to Asians being born in Australia. You know a Banana is Yellow in the outside and white inside. Yellow in the outside (Appearance) and (White) Aussie in the inside (Attitude and etc).

So Asian-Australian culture.

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
Well I would suggest sites like Allkpop, Crunchyroll and you know all those Koreanish/Asian sites that have a huge amount of knowledge on this stuff, I gurantee it would solve your problem. BOS is your very very last option LOL.
Oh man, I didn't even know those sites had fora LOL coz I hardly ever visit those sites. It feels too fob. BOS feels more banana, if you know what I mean. Thanks anyway though! Might check them out.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh man, I didn't even know those sites had fora LOL coz I hardly ever visit those sites. It feels too fob. BOS feels more banana, if you know what I mean. Thanks anyway though! Might check them out.
LOL those sites are nothing comparable to fob. FOB is using naver, cyworld+nate, daum, twitter and me2day.

Is there alot of Koreans around you. eg. Family, Friends and community????

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
LOL those sites are nothing comparable to fob. FOB is using naver, cyworld+nate, daum, twitter and me2day.

Is there alot of Koreans around you. eg. Family, Friends and community????
Hahaha fair enough. Actually I have a Cyworld. And I use Naver all the time. And KakaoTalk. There are plenty of Koreans around me but I keep them at arm's distance. Except my family. But I don't really identify strongly as a Korean Korean. But when I go to Korea, people can't tell; they just assume I've lived in Korea my whole life. What I'm trying to say is that even though I have both fob and banana characteristics, I identify more as a banana.

I think someone earlier in the thread (can't remember who; maybe it was you?) was suggesting I should meet more Koreans. I don't know how many more I need to meet. I want to meet more banana Koreans.

And someone also suggested I should just make new friends if I don't like them. But I just want to say that it's not that I don't like my friends. But when I observe Korean guys in general, then I can't imagine myself being anything more than just friends with them. My friends are still my friends and they are awesome as they are.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

We've been getting alot of hilarious Korean threads these days, the BOS community has been getting a bit annoyed :)
Aren't those websites filled with wannabe asians and non-Koreans? Some of the shit I've read on there is an embarrassment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)