Official: 2012 Modern History HSC Exam predictions thread (1 Viewer)

Jawa

HSC
There isn't a lot to make Ascension to Power of Hitler a single dot point extended is there really? It would have to compliment consolidation?

Pop Culture

HSC
N/A
Only now do I realise how difficult Modern history is. The subject is based so much on luck, depending on what you managed to study. Having the ability to answer any potential question from the syllabus with great detail is extremely challenging. I don't know how some people can retain all of that information. Good on them though.

I am hoping for Germany, that the question is on Foreign Policy.

Last edited:

stattam

HSC
Maybe it will be something like "Assess the impact of the Great Depression on the events leading to Hitler's accession to power". Then they could tie in those two that haven't been asked and relate well

snavender

HSC
My Predictions:
Germany(1919-1936): Either a question based on the Great Depression and its impact on the collapse of the WR, or Nazi Racial Policy
Conflict in Indochina(1954-1979): Either:attempts at peacemaking/developments in North and/or South Vietnam up to 1964/The impact of war on civilians (I went to a seminar where Dr Thomas Cantwell spoke, he said that he would place his money on this area of focus for this year's HSC).

P.S. enoilgam and D94 were you guy's able to predict the questions in your respective MH exams?

What would people cover with 'attempts at peacemaking' generally? Would you talk about the changing nature of US Foreign policy? It seems like a rather limited field...

TheOptimist

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲
HSC
Uni Grad
What would people cover with 'attempts at peacemaking' generally? Would you talk about the changing nature of US Foreign policy? It seems like a rather limited field...
Yeah I know, but attempts at peacemaking has never been asked before, so it seems probable that it will be asked imo, there were 3 attempts at peacemaking (secret negotiations between LBJ and the North in 1968, failed attempt between Nixon and the north in 1972, successful paris peace accords in 1973), they could ask about how foriegn Policy affected the attempts at peace making

stillthinkin

HSC
Peacemaking is very limited but I guess you would talk about the Geneva Accords, attempts at triangulation, Detente, the process of Vietnamisation....

I really don't think that it will be this question, they cannot make it too narrow or no one will be able to address the question.

I have a hunch that it will be either the impact of changing US policy/civilians, maybe even a Khmer Rouge question if they want to be really cruel.

jenslekman

HSC
does anyone here actually do Russia/USSR for National Studies - looks like everyone is doing Germany :p

NinaChapps

HSC
Mate would love, love a leadership struggle one (what I did in my assessment task for it). Second preference a consolidation of power as I did it in my trial.

WOuld love a changing US policy on (did both assessment and trial on it), a Khmer Rouge one I'd be screwed.
How did you structure the leadership struggle one? I know the events and reasons stalin won the struggle but is it structure by reasons or stages of events?

Jawa

HSC
Does anyone else just get a little nervous just thinking of all the possibilities? If some of these questions come up I may just not have substantial length (5-8 pages) to talk about with a tight argument...

enoilgam

HSC
Does anyone else just get a little nervous just thinking of all the possibilities? If some of these questions come up I may just not have substantial length (5-8 pages) to talk about with a tight argument...
In my opinion, Modern is the most underrated HSC subject. The high scaling of the subject in the 90's is definitely justified - a band 6 overall is difficult and quite a jump from the lower grades.

Kieran95

HSC
In my opinion, Modern is the most underrated HSC subject. The high scaling of the subject in the 90's is definitely justified - a band 6 overall is difficult and quite a jump from the lower grades.
Doesn't modern allign and scale pretty badly?

enoilgam

HSC
What is the Raw for B6?
Usually mid-low 80's/100 (a band 6 in each individual section of the exam should be enough for a band 6 overall). However, aligning standards can vary from year to year.

Doesn't modern allign and scale pretty badly?
Outside of the 90's it scales slightly above average, but in the 90's it does really well.

GrinchLovesXmas

HSC
If I was a betting man (which I'm not) I would place my money on the Germany question revolving around The Great Depression in some way.

declanbehan

HSC
How did you structure the leadership struggle one? I know the events and reasons stalin won the struggle but is it structure by reasons or stages of events?
It depends what the question is: It may be "Why did Stalin win the struggle over power" or something like "Explain why there was a struggle for power after Lenin's death" or "the power struggle was a conflict of ideologies. Assess this..."

jenslekman

HSC
Usually mid-low 80's/100 (a band 6 in each individual section of the exam should be enough for a band 6 overall). However, aligning standards can vary from year to year.

Outside of the 90's it scales slightly above average, but in the 90's it does really well.
enoil, do you know what the scaling is like between topics (if there is any) - sorry if this has been mentioned already elsewhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)