My subjects are:
English Advanced 2nd
English Extension 2 2nd
2U Maths 12th
Legal Studies 1st
Ancient History 1st
History Extension n/a (just started)
Biology 1st

Is it sensible to be doing 13 units when only the best 10 are counted?

...and what kind of ATAR can I expect with those subjects?

*note - I go to a pretty average high school. Last years top ATAR was 94.something, and that kid did all the science-maths subjects.

HSC
bega is famous for cheese

anyway..it's hard to say what your atar will be cos you're topping most of your subjects..so it'll just depend on how you go in the exams..
like you've probably seen a 10000000000 times, any subject combination can get you a 99.95 atar
in terms of doing 13units..that is quite excessive..but u can always drop 2u maths or whatever you feel crappest in

im a 4u english student and i hope you enjoyed reading that post~

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
13 Units is a bit much in my opinion. That's just my opinion, a kid in my grade did 13U in Yr 12 and still got 99.45 ATAR.

So yeah, it's ultimately your decision, though. :)

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
It shouldn't be that bad as long as you enjoy the courses you're doing. But in case you don't really like any of your subjects then neglect it like me.

twistedrebel

HSC
If your future career path doesn't include maths, i would think about dropping maths. Think about it almost a quarter(23% to be exact) of your effort is for nothing.

jet

Banned
HSC
Question 1) Do you like them all?
Question 2) Do you have future career aspirations?
Question 3) Are you afraid of hard work?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I will effectively be studying 13 units this year... although I have accelerated some and some courses are offline as well, so it's a little different. I'm sure the workload is very similar though.

If you're not enjoying any of the courses, I'd suggest getting rid of them.

pman

Banned
HSC
thirteen units is hard, esp with all thge extensions which are alot of effort per unit....If you put the effort in and are intelligent enough, it is possible

Azi

HSC
It'd probabely be either Maths or ext history that I would drop.
However Im not really that bad at maths, 12th includes all the people doing maths extension..
I'm a little worried about Ancient being scaled low, and that my class is full of bludgers, plus I'm sure we are doing a watered down version of the coarse, and exams are ridiculously simple. 98% with 1h study!
I know if I work hard scaling doesnt matter so much but we seem to do so little work in class.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Remember, if any of your 2u classmates are doing 4u, their ranks are not counted. Like in my class, I am part of the top 3 in the 2 unit Maths, however since the top 3 are doing Maths Extension 2 - the person ranked 4th in 2u will be ranked 1st (as for 4u students, 2u does not count).

I'd say see how you go, and drop what is killing you after the half-yearlies. I do 14, because I like all my subjects... for now.

kyokaku92

HSC
13 units is definitely a foolish idea (I even think 12 is pushing a bit). There is no doubt that's a lot, but since your ranks are great perhaps drop either history ext or 2u maths. Because the minimum is 10 units there is no need to do extra units that will be wasted in the ATAR calculation.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
anyway..it's hard to say what your atar will be cos you're topping most of your subjects..so it'll just depend on how you go in the exams..
like you've probably seen a 10000000000 times, any subject combination can get you a 99.95 atar
in terms of doing 13units..that is quite excessive..but u can always drop 2u maths or whatever you feel crappest in
Thereotically yes, but practically that is lie.

13 units is definitely a foolish idea (I even think 12 is pushing a bit). There is no doubt that's a lot, but since your ranks are great perhaps drop either history ext or 2u maths. Because the minimum is 10 units there is no need to do extra units that will be wasted in the ATAR calculation.
I would laugh if you epically screwed up in one of your units, not that i am wishing you will.

13 units is fine if you can handle the workload, are acing all your subjects and cannot pick which subect(s) to drop. Otherwise, don't do it.

If you're coming 1st in a subject, the rest of your class (no matter how stupid they are) will not affect you. So in you case, i suggest keeping ancient although you're worried about it (and make sure you get 1st) and consider dropping 2U unless you're going to work harder. Now when i mean dropping 2U i mean maths completely, not dropping down into general maths as doing that will do you no favours..

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
My subjects are:
English Advanced 2nd
English Extension 2 2nd
2U Maths 12th
Legal Studies 1st
Ancient History 1st
History Extension n/a (just started)
Biology 1st

Is it sensible to be doing 13 units when only the best 10 are counted?

...and what kind of ATAR can I expect with those subjects?

*note - I go to a pretty average high school. Last years top ATAR was 94.something, and that kid did all the science-maths subjects.
Personally, I find 13 units a little excessive. Say if you went down to 10, that's 3 units worth of work you can invest into your remaining 10. If you aren't fully dedicated to either Ext 2 English or Ext History, I would drop one (as both have quite a heavy workload), and I'd also drop 2U Maths, as it doesn't seem like you're doing spectacularly. Anyway, whatever you choose to do, it's up to you whether you want to take the 'risk' of doing less units, or whatever. I did 10 this year, and did really well (well, at least in proportion to my expectations :))

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
I carried 12 units through the HSC and looking back find myself wondering why the hell I did it. From the beginning, I said that Maths wasn't going to be counted but for one reason or another never dropped it "just in case". Low and behold - it wasn't counted and I have no intention of pursuing anything to do with differentiating or integrating ever again. Consider WHY you want to keep the subjects - is it for safety, or to have something to fall back on? Will you REALLY miss the subject if you drop it?

Also, as alex.leon said take into account the potential workload of subjects like English Extension 2 and History Extension. I can't speak about History, but the EE2 course can become quite demanding and takes real dedication. In some ways I think EE2 took as much (perhaps more) work as some of my 2 unit subjects. I do think 13 units is a bit extreme.

Azi

HSC
urgghhh I wish someone could make a logical decision for me.
I'm doing dance classes twice a week to, which includes teaching community classes..
Plus for most years I have relied on natural abilty + cramming (good short term memory). I really can't rely on that as much any more, because it's all CONTENT!!

I'm not really that much of a nerd, I'm just good at getting alot done. Will have to stop going to as many parties and drinking as much.

I really feel like EEXT2 is something I need to do. My english teacher told me I had to after the first creative writing task in year 7. haha.

Maybe I should drop History EXT? But I'm better at 'writing' stuff. ARGH!!!
2 extensions is pretty stupid though..

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
urgghhh I wish someone could make a logical decision for me.
I'm doing dance classes twice a week to, which includes teaching community classes..
Plus for most years I have relied on natural abilty + cramming (good short term memory). I really can't rely on that as much any more, because it's all CONTENT!!

I'm not really that much of a nerd, I'm just good at getting alot done. Will have to stop going to as many parties and drinking as much.

I really feel like EEXT2 is something I need to do. My english teacher told me I had to after the first creative writing task in year 7. haha.

Maybe I should drop History EXT? But I'm better at 'writing' stuff. ARGH!!!
2 extensions is pretty stupid though..
I'm thinking Extension2 English since you made a few grammatical mistakes within that post.

Such as
I'm doing dance classes twice a week to
and

I'm just good at getting alot done.
But seriously, just don't stress out so much. Find what you're wasting too much time on if you are so worried about the work load and drop it.

Also do you have a proper study timetable mapped out?

EvoRevolution

HSC
mate` take` 13` units` trust` me.` i` took` 13` units` and` the` subject` that` i` least` expected` to` count` in` to` the` 10` units` did.` i` was` expecting` sdd` to` count` for` sure` while` is` was` certain` physics` wouldnt` since` i` had` a` shit` teacher`(and` i` was` also` thingin` of` droping` lucky` i` didnt)` and` i` didnt` do` any` study` for` it,` but` it` did`.` yea` it` is` the` extra` load`but` may` or` may` not` be` worth` it.` try` do` drop` an` extra` 1` unit` so` u` only` have` 12,` i` was` able` to` drop`religion` to` catholic` studies` right` before` the` hsc` exams` which` gave` me` time` to` study` for` english` paper` 2` (totally` worth` it).

also` eat` poo` and` have` fun` kent!

Klutsov

HSC
As long as you put the effort in, you can easily carry 13 units...Especially if they relate to one another...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)