2007 NRL Thread (2 Viewers)

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
re above

obstruction is only when you run behind your own players, and second man play is throwing the ball across the line, or else known as a cut out pass. if the reciever of a cut out pass doesn't come back behind the decoy, how can it be called an obstruction? and if he does, then he is only looking for trouble.

also, i don't know why you want to discourage dummy half running. it is a revenue for a team to get themselves back from their own quarter of the field, which qld used very efficiently in origin, i might add.

someone said the top 8 is set, no way! look at the points diff between the bottom team and the 3rd team. if the dragons can find some form, they will be in for sure.

pinoying

HSC
wuddie said:
doggies over the sea eagles, my oh my, who would have seen that coming?

sea eagles arent consistent enough to win the premiership.

Aren't consistent enough??? 11 wins from 14 starts isn't consistency?
if anyone is inconsistent its the doggies.. their last great performance was against the bunnies in rd 4

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
wuddie said:
re above

obstruction is only when you run behind your own players, and second man play is throwing the ball across the line, or else known as a cut out pass. if the reciever of a cut out pass doesn't come back behind the decoy, how can it be called an obstruction? and if he does, then he is only looking for trouble.

also, i don't know why you want to discourage dummy half running. it is a revenue for a team to get themselves back from their own quarter of the field, which qld used very efficiently in origin, i might add.

someone said the top 8 is set, no way! look at the points diff between the bottom team and the 3rd team. if the dragons can find some form, they will be in for sure.
the thing is now that they're always looking for obstruction on the video replay when a try is scored using second man plays. if a team makes 20-25 metres from a second man play sequence in the middle of the park the ref wont have a second thought about it.

obstruction is now also defined as a player who is obviously not in any position to get the ball acting as a dummy runner and attracts defenders. this doesnt mean that the dummy runner takes a defender out themselves, but the defence tackle the dummy runner. if you ask me, thats the defence's fault, but attacking sides are getting punished for it. the defence are the ones who should realise that a man is not in a position to take the ball especially if you've got three outside backs behind the ruck and three forwards standing five metres in front. they've cooled off calling them obstructions in the past couple of weeks on it at least.

and as for dummy-half running, its a good tactic to use when you have tiring forwards and you need to get out of your own half, but using four or five times in a set is pretty boring to watch. you cant tell me that watching a half putting forwards through holes is far more interesting than watching little guys zipping out of dummy half.

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
the nsw team:

NSW squad: Brett Stewart, Matt King, Jamie Lyon, Matt Cooper, Jarryd Hayne, Greg Bird, Brett Kimmorley, Brent Kite, Danny Buderus (captain), Willie Mason, Nathan Hindmarsh, Andrew Ryan, Paul Gallen. Interchange: Luke Bailey, Steve Simpson, Ryan Hoffman, Kurt Gidley.
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/origin/maroons-face-sharks-attack/2007/06/26/1182623866953.html

i still cant understand what kite is doing there. brett white was dropped and worked a thousand times harder than kite. apart from that it looks ok

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
white and kite were both rubbish in the last game, and with o'meley probably not coming into contention, one of them at least had to go. i'm happy they put mason into the front row, and after watching him play 50-odd mins in one stretch on friday, im sure he'll be up for the extra defensive workload.

hindmarsh and hoffman didn't deserve their places, but with hindy it's more of a case of the coach pissing him off by taking him off after 20 mins, and he loses interest for the rest of the game. whatever happened to the hindmarsh that made 50 tackles and 40 hitups a game?

lyon didn't get dropped because he can goal kick, although lyon has done nothing to justify his free ride back into origin. if you dropped lyon, who could you replace him with as a goal kicker?

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
obviously in a star studded team, hindmarsh can't/ won't need to make the amount of tackles he is so used to make at club level.

lyon should play 5/8 if he is in the side. nsw has again chosen to play a guy out of position in greg bird. i like the fact that they kept the forwards, at least for this game, i am sure they don't want to lose 5 in a row.

remember all those critics and "experts" said titans will be the wooden spooners for this year? well in their faces! titans are going strong after half a season, and looking like a premiership winning team.

HSC
while he isn't the greatest goalkicker kimmorley could have done goalkicking.

eh i don't like the selection of lyon. he doesnt deserve his spot. not sure who else could take his spot though. possibly grothe or el masri (king to centres), or collis maybe? collis and el masri kick goals too.

when hindmarsh first played for nsw he was a damaging runner on the edges. and a strong defender. then he turned into basically a workhorse, who wasn't damaging but effective enough up the middle. so that's where he stayed. that has taken its toll nowadays and he is nowhere near as effective. he tackles ok and all but he is largely ineffective in attack.

hoffman is a brilliant edge runner as well, and has been in great form. he's worth persisting with imo.

bird at five eighth is a good selection at five eighth. he is tough and he'll combine well with kimmorley and gallen at lock. would've prefered to see mullen there though, he was picked for the first game after all.

ledzeppelin

HSC
wuddie said:
lyon should play 5/8 if he is in the side. nsw has again chosen to play a guy out of position in greg bird.
er... lyon would also be out of position playing 5/8th
he would have played less 5/8th in his career than greg bird has

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
errr no, he was a 5/8 when he was in england, and he is playing 5/8 for manly now. greg bird is an utility who has never really played 5/8 as a permanent spot, nsw might as well have gidley playing there.

i don't believe greg bird should be chosen because the selectors think he is the best 5/8 nsw has got now. there is mullen, lyon and maybe even farah (if they insist on playing players out of position) who can be a better 5/8 than bird.

ledzeppelin

HSC
wuddie said:
errr no, he was a 5/8 when he was in england, and he is playing 5/8 for manly now. greg bird is an utility who has never really played 5/8 as a permanent spot, nsw might as well have gidley playing there.

i don't believe greg bird should be chosen because the selectors think he is the best 5/8 nsw has got now. there is mullen, lyon and maybe even farah (if they insist on playing players out of position) who can be a better 5/8 than bird.
Lyon only played 5/8th on a couple of occasions whilst in England. He spent the majority of his time at St. Helens at centre.
He's only played 5/8th for an extended run this season, and that's only because Hasler's an idiot.
Bird spent his first couple of seasons with Cronulla playing 5/8th, before Dykes returned to the club in 2005, at which point he moved to lock.

2sense

The disorderly drunk
HSC
ledzeppelin said:
Lyon only played 5/8th on a couple of occasions whilst in England. He spent the majority of his time at St. Helens at centre.
He's only played 5/8th for an extended run this season, and that's only because Hasler's an idiot.
Bird spent his first couple of seasons with Cronulla playing 5/8th, before Dykes returned to the club in 2005, at which point he moved to lock.
Lyon became a crap player since he left Parra . He can suck balls. Why doesnt Union pick el masri. All u have to do is kick goals in union and elmasri never misses. Union is full dumb. Drop Bailey and Kite for origin they keep dropping the ball.

HSC
I'm not going to miss Gower. Good riddance. :)
2sense said:
Lyon became a crap player since he left Parra . He can suck balls. Why doesnt Union pick el masri. All u have to do is kick goals in union and elmasri never misses. Union is full dumb. Drop Bailey and Kite for origin they keep dropping the ball.
First of all: lol.

You sound like a sour Parra supporter, upset that he left you guys.

Obviously you haven't been watching many/any of the Bulldogs games this year, because El Masri has been missing a lot more goals than usual. Even easy to get goals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)