Anyone else doing 15 units ?? (2 Viewers)

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
I didn't realize anyone did 15 units in the HSC...
Crazy of the school to let them.
Crazy of the student too.

LordPc

HSC
What was your UAI?
95 with poor marks in english though. not an excuse, but if I enjoyed english as much as I enjoyed my other subjects I would have been done better and been up above 98

My friend does 15 units, and probably the hardest 15 units:

chem, phyz, bio, 4 unit math’s, extension japanese, std English.

We've told him so many times that 5 units won’t count however, he won’t drop down... i think that in year 11- his marks were average (but he done 14 units)- however this year considering he picked up 4 unit maths, it affecting all of his studies because of the time required to study for 4 unit.

Moral- don’t do 15 units... ESPECIALLY IN THE HSC..!!
I didn't realize anyone did 15 units in the HSC...
Crazy of the school to let them.
Crazy of the student too.
15 units?
Thats craaazy
Man up you pansies

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
My friend does 15 units, and probably the hardest 15 units:

chem, phyz, bio, 4 unit math’s, extension japanese, std English.

We've told him so many times that 5 units won’t count however, he won’t drop down... i think that in year 11- his marks were average (but he done 14 units)- however this year considering he picked up 4 unit maths, it affecting all of his studies because of the time required to study for 4 unit.

Moral- don’t do 15 units... ESPECIALLY IN THE HSC..!!
The best UAIs aren't scored by kids who tend to take the easy way. The best UAIs are scored by kids who love studying and work hard no matter how bleak success may seem. The highest aggregate ever scored was by a kid named Laurence Fields. He did 4 unit Mathematics, Physics, 3 unit English, Classic Greek, Greek Extension, Latin Continuers and Latin Extension. He got Band 6s in all of them and got a State ranking for all of his subjects except Maths Extension 1. He came first in state in Classic Greek, Greek Extension, Latin Continuers and Latin Extension. He did 15 units in the same year.

His aggregate was 497/500 and he got 100 UAI. dp624 from this site also got 100 UAI. He only did 10 units but only had ~490/500 aggregate.

Doesn't this prove anything to you guys?

sdd10

HSC
N/A
The best UAIs aren't scored by kids who tend to take the easy way. The best UAIs are scored by kids who love studying and work hard no matter how bleak success may seem. The highest aggregate ever scored was by a kid named Laurence Fields. He did 4 unit Mathematics, Physics, 3 unit English, Classic Greek, Greek Extension, Latin Continuers and Latin Extension. He got Band 6s in all of them and got a State ranking for all of his subjects except Maths Extension 1. He came first in state in Classic Greek, Greek Extension, Latin Continuers and Latin Extension. He did 15 units in the same year.

His aggregate was 497/500 and he got 100 UAI. dp624 from this site also got 100 UAI. He only did 10 units but only had ~490/500 aggregate.

But does anyone know this Laurence IRL? With all respects to him, he may be a genius who has got a photographic memory. He may be one in a million.... I mean he's one of the few people to have gotten a high UAI (like 99+) doing that many units. Not everyone can emulate his feats.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
But does anyone know this Laurence IRL? With all respects to him, he may be a genius who has got a photographic memory. He may be one in a million.... I mean he's one of the few people to have gotten a high UAI (like 99+) doing that many units. Not everyone can emulate his feats.
You've got a point, but hey life isn't fun for most nerds without taking risks. People who are smart usually want to see the full extent of their intelligence. i guess it all depends on the person.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Just because he could do it doesn't mean anything. dp624 doesn't care about those 7 marks, he still got his 100. Nobody realy cares, 100 UAI is good enough, and it doesn't matter how many subjects you take.

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
Ahaha, I was doing 15U, but then I dropped PE to pick up ext1 english. I'm seriously considering going back to 15 for yr12, picking up either ext2 maths or ext german, or even up to 16U if I did both. Dropping isn't even an option for me right now, unless I drop my dist ed german, which I really like x]

Anyhow, I have two friends doing 16U right now. Our workload is pretty heavy, but we're managing x] All the best for your studies [oh man, that sounded so nerdy xP]

HSC

ye but im not saying it a bad thing to do 15 units, just that i dont think he can cope because of some of the high content subjects hes got... but oh well

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I wonder why people choose to do this? I have a feeling that for many it is not a matter of them wanting to do it, but to prove their intelligence and superiority over others, which is a little bit sad. This is a bit silly anyway as doing well in most HSC subjects has little to do with intelligence...

I think the worst part would be knowing that all that hard work you put in three subjects would count for absolutely nothing in the end.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
nobody does extra units to prove their intellect is greater than others
and even if they did, it wouldnt be sad coz
1. they put you down
2. their ego goes up
obviously a win-win situation

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
I wonder why people choose to do this? I have a feeling that for many it is not a matter of them wanting to do it, but to prove their intelligence and superiority over others, which is a little bit sad. This is a bit silly anyway as doing well in most HSC subjects has little to do with intelligence...

I think the worst part would be knowing that all that hard work you put in three subjects would count for absolutely nothing in the end.
I don't know about anyone else really, but I'm doing 14 because I really want to do all my subjects and couldn't even consider dropping any. Except 3U English, but I'm not allowed to drop that, and it's turning out pretty interesting anyway. I guess having 2 of my subjects not counting would be a bummer, but it's good if I screw up one of the exams I guess ==

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Just because he could do it doesn't mean anything. dp624 doesn't care about those 7 marks, he still got his 100. Nobody realy cares, 100 UAI is good enough, and it doesn't matter how many subjects you take.
Your absolutely correct. I was just trying to point out to everyone that 15 units doesn't always result into a disaster.

nicko1990

p-plater
HSC
OP, 15 units or more isn't a good idea unless you're a genius. i did 15 myself in yr 11,and 13 in yr 12, but i knew all along which subjects weren't going to count. my personal view is that you're better off sticking to 12 units of high scaling subs or subs that you really really like.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
The best UAIs aren't scored by kids who tend to take the easy way. The best UAIs are scored by kids who love studying and work hard no matter how bleak success may seem.
Ah...what a kind set of words for all those who got 100 UAI. But don't generalise. Getting top UAI doesn't mean that they love studying.

The highest aggregate ever scored was by a kid named Laurence Fields. He did 4 unit Mathematics, Physics, 3 unit English, Classic Greek, Greek Extension, Latin Continuers and Latin Extension. He got Band 6s in all of them and got a State ranking for all of his subjects except Maths Extension 1.
It's funny how you called him 'kid' when he should be like 10 years older than you...

BTW, he didn't get a state rank in English Extension 1 and I am sure that he didn't do it meaning that he did 14 units...

He came first in state in Classic Greek, Greek Extension, Latin Continuers and Latin Extension. He did 15 units in the same year.
Yep

Only? Only? Don't underestimate it. Getting even to 400/500 stage is fairly difficult.

Nothing, it proves nothing at all.

I don't know what you are trying to prove...are you trying to say that dp624's achievement is not up to scratch? I can only see that they are extremely impressive.

If someone got 100 UAI with 10 units or whatever, I strongly believe that they can achieve to the similar standards even though they did more units...

@Dragonmaster: doing 15 units doesn't ALWAYS lead to disaster but it usually does. The people that we are dealing here are geniuses like Laurie. And you should realise that not everyone is like that.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
15 units is a little over the top. As some people have already said, a third of them won't even count for your UAI... :S So kind of a waste. But if you really want to do them and you can cope with the work, sure go ahead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)