Anyone else not memorizing? (1 Viewer)

ahdil33

HSC
2xL is right. I don't think the argument that whoever memorises will fail uni is necessarily correct. Unfortunately the only way to guarantee an A range mark is to either be some kind of genius who knows every part of the text and can write in a sophisticated way on the fly, or just adapt a king essay. The latter is a lot easier. The people who do memorise are not necessarily unable to write on the spot; it's just not a guarantee to do well, which is what they want. You can't say it doesn't do well, 95% of the people in my school memorise and we came 3rd in English, most top students memorise. It's not right, but its the way to go in the HSC imo.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Mid to high 80s. I could do a lot better, but I cannot be bothered anymore.
Sounds a bit self-servingly biased. Why don't you just "be bothered" and do better? You are defending your perspective quite aggressively so I don't see why you wouldn't.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
lol, people fight about this at the same time every year. Some people memorise essays and do really poorly, others memorise and do very well. Some people do not memorise essays and do really poorly, others do not memorise and do very well.

At the end of the day each person is going to prepare the way that works best for them, if you don't agree with how someone else prepares - who cares? It's your HSC, not theirs.

skyscraper

Goin Up
HSC
Memorising is a bad idea, if their essay is not suited to the exam question they will be all 'oh fuck i gotta use my essay derp derpderp' and try smush their memorised essay into the exam. Im just memorising quotes and technqiues :)

Aaron6693

HSC
People who memorise are fuckwits IMO. They're completely missing the point of their education - if they're good at english they should be able to write a decent essay on the spot.
I like to think I'm quite good at English. In saying that, I memorised word-for-word every single one of my essays for both HSC Advance and Extension 1 English.
Generally you'd be right in saying that if you have some ability in English then you should be able to right an essay on the spot, but the thing is, I wasn't going to take the chance of maybe not writing something as well-constructed as the 19-20/20 essays I'd had marked throughout the year.

Personally, I don't care for learning English in the way that the syllabus is constructed and think it is completely useless (well, maybe not COMPLETELY useless, but you get the point), especially for those who want to continue their education in a field where this type of English-study isn't really required.

s_bilgrami89

HSC
People who memorise are fuckwits IMO. They're completely missing the point of their education - if they're good at english they should be able to write a decent essay on the spot.
u are 1 ****ing cheeky kunt mate i swear i am goin 2 wreck u i swear on my mums life and i no u are scared lil bitch gettin your mates to send me messages saying dont meet up coz u r sum big bastard with muscles lol ****in sad mate really sad jus shows what a scared lil gay boy u are and whats all this crap ur mates sendin me about sum bodybuildin website that 1 of your faverite places to look at men u lil ****in gay boy fone me if u got da balls cheeky prick see if u can step up lil queer

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
u are 1 ****ing cheeky kunt mate i swear i am goin 2 wreck u i swear on my mums life and i no u are scared lil bitch gettin your mates to send me messages saying dont meet up coz u r sum big bastard with muscles lol ****in sad mate really sad jus shows what a scared lil gay boy u are and whats all this crap ur mates sendin me about sum bodybuildin website that 1 of your faverite places to look at men u lil ****in gay boy fone me if u got da balls cheeky prick see if u can step up lil queer
honestly what are you? why do lil sad kunts these days always have to ask useless questions in a sad and pathetic attempt to turn it into a casual conversation, get sad kunts going " whats your name kunt " " oi whats ur fb " " whats ur nash " "which high school do u go to" all in a sad attempt to profile the other person over the internet as the idea of meeting up with the unknown is too unnerving, but then again all these lil sad kunt bodybuilders with a deluded need for a sense of validation ( hence the e-rep system) are just nothing more but lil pussies on the inside with a tough exterior , i mean who wants to let their real selves be exposed lol not insecure gymmers thats who sad kunt delusional acknowledgement deprived failures

s_bilgrami89

HSC
honestly what are you? why do lil sad kunts these days always have to ask useless questions in a sad and pathetic attempt to turn it into a casual conversation, get sad kunts going " whats your name kunt " " oi whats ur fb " " whats ur nash " "which high school do u go to" all in a sad attempt to profile the other person over the internet as the idea of meeting up with the unknown is too unnerving, but then again all these lil sad kunt bodybuilders with a deluded need for a sense of validation ( hence the e-rep system) are just nothing more but lil pussies on the inside with a tough exterior , i mean who wants to let their real selves be exposed lol not insecure gymmers thats who sad kunt delusional acknowledgement deprived failures
I think you might have something wrong with your brain. Why are you trying to be all cyberbully on me. Do you really think anyone cares about you. You talk to people like they are trash. Why would you want to come off like that. Does it make you feel tough? Are you trying to make up for having a small smelly dick? You need to see a shrink. Have fun going through life wondering why people don't like you. I'll give you a hint though, you try to make others feel like ****. But you have failed on me. I know what you are. See, the thing is, I'm a nice guy. You on the other hand can't control your stupidity. You really don't even realize that you are a jerk ,do you? When your older maybe you can look back on times like this and see that you where unnecessarily rude to people you don't know. Right now you think you are being cleaver and it is just a fun time. Keep treating people like you do and see where you end up. You can not compete with my intellect so I warn you to give up before you embarrass yourself further..

Aaron6693

HSC
So how do you guys who have memorised essays plan to deal with the situation when you are asked to write a feature article or a speech in the exam? If you don't have the power to make it up on the spot then you are fucked for lack of better terminology.
I completed the HSC last year, and during the year our teacher (who just happened to be the HT of the English Faculty) attempted to prepare us for things like this.

Every now and then we'd be told that we were going to be doing our essays under exam conditions, exactly the way the HSC exams would run. The first time, we werent told anything was going to be out of the ordinary. So I memorised my essay word-for-word as normal, went to sit the exam and was asked to write in the form of a speech.

Wrote almost exactly the same thing as memorised, plus a few things here and there. But in all honesty, it was essentially the same thing, and I still got 20/20.

So basically my point is that HSC English is almost ALWAYS the same shit over and over, and even when things are thrown at you that are really different to what is expected, you can still basically write the same thing as you've prepared.

memo15

HSC
So to the people who have memoried their essays .. What question did your answer when you wrote your essay?..

deswa1

HSC
I didn't answer a question actually- I just wrote about the text's central concerns etc.

memo15

HSC
I didn't answer a question actually- I just wrote about the text's central concerns etc.
Oh okay so it's basically just learning techniques and quotes then but in paragraph form?

Keelan134

HSC
For Section 3 I've memorised all of my quotes/techniques/effects, then depending on the question I pull them out and apply as needed.
For Section 2, I wrote a story with most of the aspects of belonging, so like community, relationships, identity etc etc all feature in the story. If the question asks specifically for one I just put extra emphasis around that part of the story.

nifkeh

HSC
Just because someone memorises doesn't mean they don't know what they are talking about.
I'd be probs memorising too next year, it looks promising.

anyways I will be in term 4 because that's a speech, and nobody wants to read on their palmcards the whole time haha

nifkeh

HSC
do they ever ask for 3 related texts?
I doubt it, I think it will be 'at least 1 related text', sometimes it might be 'with reference to 2 related texts' but I've never seen 3

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
do they ever ask for 3 related texts?
Three related texts would be unlikely even for the Extension One English course. It would greatly limit the depth you are able to go into if you were to analyse 4 texts in the space of 900-1200 words.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)