Are checkouts that bad? (1 Viewer)

_Bushra_

wtf?!
Hoping to befriend somebody nice at club MQ *freak
HSC
kirabolton said:
I'm just curious do your bosses force you to wear the namebadge? I work at woolies and i NEVER wear it mainly because it always freaked me out when people would address me by my name. I've been given another one (i think they thought i lost it) but i still don't wear it, half the time i don't wear those ugly scarves we have to wear as well.

BIGW is big on the name badge thing. I was working once and i was wearing a shirt which didnt have a collar so i couldnt easily put my badge on and my manager became totally animalistic! eeek!

Some guy on thursday night called me by by name and I'm still cringing at the thought of it! ewww!

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
my name is soha and i 4got my badge once and they made me wear a name badge that said katherine
and one that said olive
olive....wtf?
neways..was funny at the time

_Bushra_

wtf?!
HSC
_muse_ said:
omg this guy from the games shop came into through my register today and was acting like a 10 year old.. he was slamming his card in going "WORK GOD DAMMIT!" and then he proceeded to insult me and ask me how old i was and if i had any kids.. i said "im 17 and NO i have NO kids" and he said "well thats a shame,you should have 8.. considering i assume you started when you were 12.. " OH MY FUCKING GOD he was So rude... superviser had to come over and ask if everything was ok cause i was nearly in tears. Fuck he was rude. He thought it was utterly hilarious to suggest that i was having sex at the age of 12. I felt like shouting at him "excuse me at the age of 12 i probably still believed that sex was an organ in the body!!"

grrrrrrrrr so upset.

You poor thing rach! I dont know what I would have done in a situation like that...Thanks god it hasnt happened to me...

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
LOL the other day when I was at work at Coles this old lady came through with all this cat food, so I was trying to have a meaningless conversation with her.... I asked her how many cats she had

"I have no cats" she says

*awkward silence*

lol I almost burst out laughing.... maybe she didn't realize it was cat food.... I wanted to ask why she was buying cat food but I decided not to.

Then we also had this person come in with those coles vouchers that the welfare agencies give out but she had lost it then she accused the checkout chick of stealing it.... she was swearing and going crazy, so they had to call security to take her away.

lol

_Bushra_

wtf?!
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
LOL the other day when I was at work at Coles this old lady came through with all this cat food, so I was trying to have a meaningless conversation with her.... I asked her how many cats she had

"I have no cats" she says

*awkward silence*

lol I almost burst out laughing.... maybe she didn't realize it was cat food.... I wanted to ask why she was buying cat food but I decided not to.

Then we also had this person come in with those coles vouchers that the welfare agencies give out but she had lost it then she accused the checkout chick of stealing it.... she was swearing and going crazy, so they had to call security to take her away.

lol
LMAO!!!

Actually some ppl eat cat/dog food cus its cheaper, dont they?

ewwww

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
_Bushra_ said:
LMAO!!!

Actually some ppl eat cat/dog food cus its cheaper, dont they?

ewwww
they do? ok that is just weird. but still - ROFL... "i have no cats" lol!!! maybe she was just shortsighted and thought it was tuna... or maybe where she comes from they actually eat cats, so she saw the pic of the cat on the tin and bought up big. or maybe im just trying to find an excuse for the poor woman. lmao...

HSC
my mate works at penshurst IGA, he tells me stories of people buying gloves, condoms and baby oil *shudder*

xxxx8888

HSC
resurrecting this thread. lol.

yeah i don't like wearing the name badge, it feels like i'm whoring my name out. lmao.

#1 thing i hate: when they don't unpack their baskets. which is why i tell them to do it themselves when they're waiting for me to finish serving someone. this woman actually looked outrage when i told her to do it. pfft

also when customers just hand me their card when the eftpos machine is directly facing them. i tell them to swipe it themselves and when they put the card straight back in their wallet i say, 'sorry can i see your signature?' and they're like, 'that's why you swipe it for us'. uh yeah, how about you just leave your card out until you've finished signing ... idiot.

and when mums run toward me with their overloaded trolleys when i'm simply walking into the store between two registers yelling out, 'are you OPEN???' gawd. i just say 'no' and walk straight past them. hahaha

and when customers get pissy when i can't tell them which aisle the mustard or whatever is in. i just read those huge signs at every aisle and take my time going 'umm'. they keep staring at me (the good ones just go 'oh doesn't matter' and walk off). so i'm like, 'i'm not sureee, i'll just ask someone for you'. i ask the person in the register next to me knowing they won't know. they don't know. customer hears this but keeps staring at me (the good ones just say 'okay' and walk off, knowing that i already tried to help them). so i'm like, 'sorry no' and they're like, 'you don't know where it is?' and i'm like 'no' and they're like 'you don't???' and i'm like 'i don't know' and then there's awkward silence.

ok wait maybe in that store (edit: i meant story) i'm the one at fault. i gtg do my essay...such a huge headache

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
You didnt know where something as simple as mustard is? shit when i was working i knew where just about everything was, and if i didnt know what the product was, like they say some random brandname that i dont know wtf it is, i just ask them what it is "its a toilet cleaner" oh ok, then its in isle 4.

vanush

kdslkf
HSC
Serius said:
You didnt know where something as simple as mustard is? shit when i was working i knew where just about everything was, and if i didnt know what the product was, like they say some random brandname that i dont know wtf it is, i just ask them what it is "its a toilet cleaner" oh ok, then its in isle 4.
I wanted checkouts but got dairy assistant. Is dairy assistant any good.

Skeeta

HSC
omg yes. My friend works there. I want that job so badly. They dont have to do anything, they just sit out the back milking cows.

Lucky bitch.

HSC
soha said:
my name is soha and i 4got my badge once and they made me wear a name badge that said katherine
and one that said olive
olive....wtf?
My name is Jess, but since losing my name badge at easter I've been Chelsea. Lovely, hey!

Dan7

HSC
I have never worked on a checkout before but it is something I would really like to try out. Unfortunately Woolworths would not let me do it because they couldn't roster me around my availability (I work full-time elsewhere). They said if I wasn't willing to sacrifice my current job then they couldn't hire me as a service cashier. I asked about students being in school during the day and still working on checkouts. I said 'It's because they're cheap isn't it?' They said it wasn't that and stated that school kids could start work at 4:30. I said I could start at 4:30 if I needed to and they didn't have anything to say about that.

I actually applied for a service cashier position when I was casual at my current workplace (I was only working about 2-3 days a week and was looking for some extra work) but they did not hire me then either.

Anyway, I spoke to Woolworths about it after I became full-time (they called me for some reason) and since I wasn't willing to give up my current job I was not able to work on a checkout.

So what I'm trying to say is that I would like to experience working on a checkout and see what it's like but to do that I would have to give up my current job but I can't do that because I am dependent on the income and it all comes down to what you want more I guess - the fun of trying something or sticking to the same old job and getting paid more to do it. I chose to stay with my current employer because it just wouldn't be worth giving it up.

So to those who work on checkouts, good on you. And for those wondering I work in an office but I still would have liked to work a checkout for a while for the experience.

greekgun

HSC
If you are applying at a retail place and they give u a choice of working at the back/stock or at the checkout - for the love of good do NOT choose the checkout option - IT SUCKS SO MUCH!

I have been working at coles for the past 7 months and some customers and supervisors treat us casheirs like shit. When i did my first shift ever and i actually got to serve someone, they put me on the express lane by myself on a saturday afternoon, the only thing they left me with was the L plate sticker. Being my first time scanning and all u can imagine that i would lean a little on the slow side of scanning. Many people were the biggest bitches ever, this one lady started screaming at me and told me to hurry up u bastard ur making evry 1 wait etc etc. (and it was quite clear i was new, hence the l plate sticker)

Anyway times have changed and i have improved some what. But that doesnt change that working at the checkout is comparable to burning in hell.
Let me list some cons of working at the front:

+ Many customers swipe their eftpos before u can finalise the transaction - which pisses the hell out of me when it happens 20 times in a row.

+ Customer scan their flybys several times and then ask has it gone through

+ u get some bored working their, the time goes past very slowly

+ur shifts become monotonous - u end up using generic questions ( i use how are you today, and watever they say i say thats good to hear --- once someone said bad and i said that)

+ and the shift manager have no regard 4 ur feelings or home life, eg- i was planning to go to my friend poker night (we have this every month) and the bitch rang up and told me we really need me cuz there busy and i replied "i cant im heading off to my friends house which i do every month, and that stupid bitch said let me remind u that it is xmas and it does get busy down here ( i know if i say no they wont give me any more shifts)

Thats enough of my rants for one day.

Point is that working at the checkout makes u feel like shit - so choose to do stock.

Very pissed off coles worker
- Simon

CieL

HSC
greekgun said:
+ Many customers swipe their eftpos before u can finalise the transaction - which pisses the hell out of me when it happens 20 times in a row.
But that's how Coles eftpos system works.. it allows the customer to swipe their card, then select if they want cash out or not if it's sav/chq, or they can immediately press OK after you press the EFTPOS button on your screen if ti's Cr.. saves time if they know what they're doing.. wastes time if they dont know what to do after the self-serve prompt.

greekgun said:
+ Customer scan their flybys several times and then ask has it gone through
It's not that hard to say, "got it".. or "your flybuys has gone through/processed" after they swipe it.. that's what I do with every customer that swipes/beeps by themselves.. althought I do find it annoying when they lean into my scanner to beep their FBs.. use the EFTPOS machine to process ur FBs dammit..

greekgun said:
+ and the shift manager have no regard 4 ur feelings or home life
That's why you lie. Just say you're like a billion miles away and have no transport there or whatever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)