Benefits of doing X2 english ? (1 Viewer)

VETO

HSC
Hey guys !

I was wondering if there are any other beneficial aspects of doing extension english II, besides being able to express your creativity/passion for engrish? XD

I mean, sure, I love English (especially when it comes down to creative writing...) but is it really a subject worth doing in terms of how it'll affect you in the long run? Why do people do the course...? Is it SIMPLY because they love english? I mean, the scaling is quite mediocre, when compared to extension I... So what I'm really asking is...

Is it worth the time doing?

(Sorry if I seem shallow here. I'm having trouble deciding on what to drop in order to pick up ee2; and because of this, I'm wondering if It's worth dropping a 2unit course for ee2.)

Last edited:

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
scaling.

and the fact that some people are good at english, and they like it. doing ext 2 english also means that advanced english may not have to count towards your UAI/ATAR (if advanced isn't your area of strength).

ext 2 english allows you to express your ideas more freely and you're not confined to something like analysing other people's work, such as in advanced

saberbladexx

HSC
i thought adv/standard had to be counted
Only your best 2u of english is counted, e.g if your scaled marks for ext1 and ext2 is higher than your advance mark then the ext1 and ext2 are counted for your best 2u of english.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Hey guys !

I was wondering if there are any other beneficial aspects of doing extension english II, besides being able to express your creativity/passion for engrish? XD

I mean, sure, I love English (especially when it comes down to creative writing...) but is it really a subject worth doing in terms of how it'll affect you in the long run? Why do people do the course...? Is it SIMPLY because they love english? I mean, the scaling is quite mediocre, when compared to extension I... So what I'm really asking is...

(Sorry if I seem shallow here. I'm having trouble deciding on what to drop in order to pick up ee2; and because of this, I'm wondering if It's worth dropping a 2unit course for ee2.)
I know this sounds wanky, but you can only really decide for yourself. Extension 2 requires a lot of dedication if you want to do well, as well as natural creative talent and many, many hours spent researching/refining/editing.

Personally, I did the course because I enjoy, and have had past success in creative writing. I think you're more likely to enjoy the course if you actually want to write. As far as I know, that's the reason most people take the course. Extension 2 is also a really good break from other subjects as well, a kind of refresher.

It's like any major work course really. You've got to be prepared to invest time into your work as much as you do other subjects.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
I agree with alex.leon.

Aside from subject choices, best units, ATARs, the subject's scaling and whoopa-ding-dong-aligning systems, I must stress that I've learnt a lot throughout the process of composing my major work. The area I chose to study has enabled me to learn more about other people, our society and our world as a whole. Some aspects of my major work have really helped to open my mind. Of course, the extent to which someone's major work impacts on them personally varies greatly between individuals, but you should recognise that this course may be beneficial to you both personally as well as educationally.

At times (and I say this to everyone considering Extension 2) due to the independent nature of the course, it can be extremely stressful. Overall though, I think what I've taken away from it has been more benficial than many of my other classes combined.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
I did my entire major work in about a week, i know it won't count for me, and I just did it for fun. Others who did it at my school did it really well, and put a heap of effort in and tried to make it count - but it was never really stressful for any of us....
The whole course wasn't stressful for me (in fact at many times it was rewarding) but there were also several times that it could become very draining. Perhaps being the only one in my class could have something to do with it - not having anyone else to talk to about it could become annoying at times. On top of that I'm in the first year 12 group to graduate from my school, so obviously no EE2 courses (in fact, no HSC courses at all) had been run before mine. Ultimately though, I guess it varies between individuals but the course does have enormous potential to be demanding.

shaon0

HSC
Chouse this for yeer 12 goud subjekt fun gould and exsite. :)
Yeah i agree, but i didn't take EE2. Seemed like too much work but if you're good at english like you are, it would be a good decision.

TAC

HSC
Hey guys !

The real question is are you willing to spend a highly disproportionate amount of time and effort on a course which is only 1 unit?

I ended up putting most of my time into this course.

tku336

HSC
No, the disproportionate 1 unit is easily History Extension. 4Eng shouldn't be hard as long as you work at it from the very start, and don't have to rush it all at the end.At to the OP's question about why people do it, it's a) quite fun and b) does help your ATAR.The reason it's not SCALED well is because there's so many people who get really good marks. At our school, the average is 46 and the top 10ish all get 48 or above. If you're a good writer, it's easy marks in the bag as opposed to slugging out phys/history ect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)