Best 2 units of English counts towards ATAR... What does that mean? (1 Viewer)

thatnormster

HSC
I'm taking Extension 2 English. Does that mean that if I nail Extension 1 and Extension 2 English, and do horribly for Advanced, then those 2 English units will count and Advanced is completely forgotten about?

jks22

HSC
I'm taking Extension 2 English. Does that mean that if I nail Extension 1 and Extension 2 English, and do horribly for Advanced, then those 2 English units will count and Advanced is completely forgotten about?
I'm not sure but if you do EE2, wouldn't you automatically drop EADV? Because the same thing happens for MX2

thatnormster

HSC
I'm not sure but if you do EE2, wouldn't you automatically drop EADV? Because the same thing happens for MX2
Unfortunately no, you don't. Math is just diff like that. maybe just for my school (though i doubt it HSC system is pretty much uniform everywhere)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
English Extension 2 has a value of 4 units, divided as follows:
  • English Advanced - 2 units
  • English Extension 1 - 1 unit
  • English Extension 2 - 1 unit
Unlike Mathematics Extension 2, English Extension 2 students still take English Advanced and must still sit the English Advanced HSC exam.

In terms of the notion of the best 2 units of English, this can come from any English subject and in different combinations, for example:
  • 2 units of English Advanced
  • 1 unit of English Extension 1 and 1 unit of English Extension 2
  • 1 unit of English Advanced and 1 unit of English Extension 1 or English Extension 2
Of course, the above possibilities will depend on the student's subject selection as well as their overall performance in each subject.

I hope this helps! 😄

thatnormster

HSC
Unlike Mathematics Extension 2, English Extension 2 students still take English Advanced and must still sit the English Advanced HSC exam.

In terms of the notion of the best 2 units of English, this can come from any English subject and in different combinations, for example:
  • 1 unit of English Advanced and 1 unit of English Extension 1 or English Extension 2
Of course, the above possibilities will depend on the student's subject selection as well as their overall performance in each subject.

I hope this helps! 😄
what a perfect answer, thanks jimmy smith, if that's your real name :]

moonsuyoung

HSC

I hope this helps! 😄
that's so complicated :spzz: .
Will that happen for maths when it becomes compulsory in 2024 or would it just be like it now?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
that's so complicated :spzz: .
Will that happen for maths when it becomes compulsory in 2024 or would it just be like it now?
This is an interesting question. I obviously cannot confirm with full certainty whether that would be the case, although I personally doubt it. I think that, unless there is a change in the syllabus that connects the three levels of maths in such a way that would require students to take all of Mathematics Advanced, Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2, including sitting the HSC exam of all three subjects, which in my opinion would be excessive (imagine having to sit three maths HSC exams o_O), studying Mathematics Extension 2 will be done the same way as is currently done, which would make sense given that this has never been the case under the current system and that the change is only concerned with making maths compulsory, as opposed to specifying the levels of maths and specific maths subjects that must be taken alongside each other.

Based on this, the minimum requirement will likely be to take Mathematics Standard. If you choose to take Mathematics Extension 1 and wish to subsequently take Mathematics Extension 2, this is likely to be done in the same way as is currently done, i.e. you would still sit two HSC exams, one for Mathematics Extension 1 and one for Mathematics Extension 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)