Bright students 'betrayed' by HSC (1 Viewer)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I dunno, getting really good grades can open doors for you in certain degrees. I think it's good to aim high but that's just me.
How? And in what?

When going to an employer, they only look that you have the degree... not your grades or marks nothing like that.

I have no idea to what you're referring to here :haha:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
How? And in what?

When going to an employer, they only look that you have the degree... not your grades or marks nothing like that.

Well in my degree certain (awesome) units become available to you if you're doing really well. If you're only getting passes you wouldn't be considered for such programs.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Well in my degree certain (awesome) units become available to you if you're doing really well. If you're only getting passes you wouldn't be considered for such programs.
What's your degree?

P.S. if that's the case for enjoyment, then I would also do extremely well to get into if I really liked the electives.

izzy88

HSC
How? And in what?

they do look at the marks you get for at least some degrees ie. i'm doing law, and they definitely take your grades into account when going for a law job. How are they going to distinguish you from everyone else who comes out with a similar degree? I imagine it would be similar for degrees such as commerce/economics etc and probably others.

In any case, i think you should be motivated to do as well as possible. :)

not that its particularly on topic, but anyway.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
B/Ancient History (hons)
This is the program im talking about
Macquarie University 2008 Handbook: AHST310

I don't know if other degrees would have anything similar, but in mine it can be a good idea to aim high if you want to do things like this.

Besides, i like to learn as much as i can from my units, not just scrape by.

Last edited:

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
unless they have a better system and can implement it this story is completely useless. theres no point in criticising the system if you cant come up with a better one that doesnt require a full biography/analysis of a persons life.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
I thought the HSC was the best secondary education system in the world

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
How? And in what?

commerce also look at ur grades.

its the hard degrees where they rarely take ur grades into account

el gwapo

HSC
unless they have a better system and can implement it this story is completely useless. theres no point in criticising the system if you cant come up with a better one that doesnt require a full biography/analysis of a persons life.
well obviously you didn't read the article completely, and you have had no background reading regarding this issue.

It has been floating around with the lesser known universities and the private colleges, the idea that the UAI is not the sole indicator of university entry.

The system worked for me, I got a decent +90 UAI, got into a university degree that needed 83 UAI. So I should be happy. But that doesn't make the system sufficient. I think there are protocols put in place to help the disadvantaged: those in country areas, those with sporting commitments, the physically disabled - the problem is that it is the private schools who are able to make best advantage of the system. I don't see the UAC initiating these changes, so I think Dr. Spence is right in pushing forward programs to attract the best but not just what the UAC deems as "smart"

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
well obviously you didn't read the article completely, and you have had no background reading regarding this issue.

It has been floating around with the lesser known universities and the private colleges, the idea that the UAI is not the sole indicator of university entry.

The system worked for me, I got a decent +90 UAI, got into a university degree that needed 83 UAI. So I should be happy. But that doesn't make the system sufficient. I think there are protocols put in place to help the disadvantaged: those in country areas, those with sporting commitments, the physically disabled - the problem is that it is the private schools who are able to make best advantage of the system. I don't see the UAC initiating these changes, so I think Dr. Spence is right in pushing forward programs to attract the best but not just what the UAC deems as "smart"
they have no exact 'programs' they are putting forward. merely "other selection criteria" to be used as a means of selecting 'bright' students.
here are the list of problems his suggestion has:
-the cost associated with this new means of selection
-subjectivity that it introduces (ATAR is objective and equivalent across Aus)
-the is a big discrepancy between what a student 'wants' to do and what he/she is best suited to doing. that is, if a student works hard for something and gets the score required, y should he or she be turned down by the uni in favour of someone who they see is best suited to the degree but may not want to do it. think if u were in this persons shoes, you cant get into a degree because you arent the 'best' candidate for that degree.

with every suggestion there are pros and cons and obviously his suggestion has more cons.

and ever wonder y the universities that propose these changes are the "less known" ones?

HSC
How? And in what?

If I was an employer for a law firm and I had two applicants..

one from usyd with just a law degree

and another from say macquarie (lol..couldnt think of any other) who had a distinction with their degree..

id choose the macquarie graduate

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

and another from say macquarie (lol..couldnt think of any other) who had a distinction with their degree..

Yes, because so many employers are going to be Yr 11 students who haven't the foggiest idea how Yr 12 works, let alone the real world. ;)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

lol wat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)