Desperatly Worried - Should I change schools now? (1 Viewer)

Paradox.101

HSC
I assume that you know that raw marks are aligned upwards and that the lower the raw mark the more it will align upwards e.g. 16% to 50% isn't unreasonable. If 16 goes to 50 then all marks above 16 also have to go up by increasingly smaller margins e.g. 86 might go to 90 so a 4 mark increase whereas the 16 increases by 34 marks.

Looking at your original marks, except for the 88 which would go into the 90s the others would probably remain in the 80s or rise to the 80s.
Yeah, I get your vibe.

Would they allow you to change right now? Matey dw if you don't get the reuqired 85. UTS are very flexible in terms of allowing entry for their courses sometimes much less than what is public. EG I know for their engineering they accept people with UAIS as low as 70. Just try and best and dw about scaling too much. Also, just so you know with easier subjects with crappeir scaling such as IPT, it is much easier to obtain a band 6 in that than in Chemistry. You'll be fine matey. I wish you the best of luck my friend.
Thanks for the assuring words, although today we were told that besides UTS bonus scheme, they're very strict with the ATAR cut off, even if you're 1 ATAR off the cut-off, they won't accept you.

This year truly really dosent count at all. If you want a higher UAI, get all 90s in your subjects next year. Without doubt, you will certainly get your wanted UAI.
getting 80 and 70 in gen maths and business studies isn't the best plan
A lot of that engative scaling is due to your shit score in the subjects. There's a lot of room for improvement, and if you study a fuckton for all of them it's not impossible to see you getting 80+ in everything which should be above 85.
Yeah sure, I could do that, but I'm no where near as academically bright as you guys are, no where near. I could study 2 weeks prior to an exam and only recieve a 17/20.
I know you guys are probably like, OMG STUDY MORE, ALL YOU NEED IS STUDY, but trust me, it is so much different to a guy that are not as bright as selective students.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
If you're not bright enough to receive half decent marks in those subjects, I'm sorry mate, but you wouldn't be able to cope with the higher scaling subjects anyway.

Paradox.101

HSC
If you're not bright enough to receive half decent marks in those subjects, I'm sorry mate, but you wouldn't be able to cope with the higher scaling subjects anyway.
Seriously? A band 5 is not a 'half decent' mark to you?
What's up with selective students :mad1:

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
I wasn't selective.

A band 5 isn't so wonderful for subjects like those, you realise a band 5 is chemistry is far more difficult than one in business studies or something like that?

Paradox.101

HSC
I understand that a band 5 are different in certain subjects at a extent.

Obviously, I'll strive for that band 6, but we have different 'expectations' and you can't judge me, simply because I stated that "I'm not as bright as selective students", which is a fact.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
I'm not judging you, but changing subjects if you could wouldn't help you.

If you're only capable of 70 in business studies, you're obviously not capable of a high ATAR without a LOT of work.

I'm not being mean, just realistic.

I went to a terrible school, and some of my subjects were horribly scaled, but I still did very well.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
The problem is that while your doing pretty well in some subjects, you're doing quite poorly in others and you seem to be thinking that instead of improving those subjects you should switch to better scaling ones so your marks get better.

This is a pretty silly way of looking at things imo, if you bring all your subjects into the mid 80's kind of range then you should be able to reach your goal.

Paradox.101

HSC
Do you mind sharing your subject choices?
Just curious.

I think I'm capable of overall Band 6's, it's just that I can't unlock that potential inside me as of yet, and that I always seem to zone out in class,
although I'm able to keep concentrated when studying for an exam. It's a huge let down.
If I was able to listen intently in class, the study/revising load would be much easier for me every single day... something I need to work on.

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Im not sure if your asking me or black kat meow, but i did

english advanced
society and culture
ancient history
legal studies
visual arts

Paradox.101

HSC
Im not sure if your asking me or black kat meow, but i did

english advanced
society and culture
ancient history
legal studies
visual arts
I was asking Black Kat, but those aren't half bad scaling subjects!
Do you mind sharing your UAI?

HSC
dw so much, even though its late to change, you still have the potential to do your best + yr 11 doesn't mean anything. Just work harder and smarter despite which subject you have. :)

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
The problem is that while your doing pretty well in some subjects, you're doing quite poorly in others and you seem to be thinking that instead of improving i those subjects you should switch to better scaling ones so your marks get better.

This is a pretty silly way of looking at things imo, if you bring all your subjects into the mid 80'd kind of range then you should be able to reach your goal.
agreed.

To the OP, I faced the similar situation with English Advanced and English Standard and I initially thought about changing schools but didn't because:
a) I may not get the same subjects in another school
b) It is hard to adjust to a new school in Senior years
c) I am used to the way my school operates
d) I can still get an ATAR above 95 with my current subject choices... the problem is ME NOT THE SUBJECTS

Changing schools will get you English Extension 1, but unless you are confident that you can pull mid 80s - 90s for your other subjects, you won't get an ATAR of 85.

What does this mean?
taking English Extension 1 won't have a dramatic effect on your final ATAR unless you do WELL in your other subjects.

So you have two options:

1) Change schools + take up English Extension 1 + study your ass off for other subjects
2) Stay at your current school + study your ass off for the other subjects

Either way, you are still going to have to work very hard, and as you are familiar with the way your school marks, staying at your current school will be a better option

That being said, It is all up to YOU. :)

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
not all band 6's. Assuming that you are equally good at all your subjects, the following marks would give you an ATAR of 85:

2008 Modern History - 83
2008 English (Advanced) - 81
2008 General Mathematics - 85
2008 Business Studies - 84
2008 Visual Arts - 89
2008 Information Processes & Technology - 86
2008 Studies of Religion I - 85

You only need to bump your marks a little higher..

Paradox.101

HSC
Guess I'll have to stop being a panzy and step into hell for a year, that is, drop my social life and study study study.

not all band 6's. Assuming that you are equally good at all your subjects, the following marks would give you an ATAR of 85:

2008 Modern History - 83
2008 English (Advanced) - 81
2008 General Mathematics - 85
2008 Business Studies - 84
2008 Visual Arts - 89
2008 Information Processes & Technology - 86
2008 Studies of Religion I - 85
I could manage a 83 if I study a little more of Modern,
I could easily achieve a band 6 for English Adv,
Most likely a 85 for General Math,
Not too sure about Business studies, a little worried with that,
Not too sure with Visual Arts, but I could manage,
IPT, should be a breeze,

With SOR, the maximum score is 50? Correct me if I'm wrong.
That being said, should I consider dropping a subject, to instead, concentrate on my other subjects?
I'm not going too well with Business, so maybe I could drop that and instead, focus on my remaining subjects...

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
yup, except english (89). The point is that if your subjects have shithouse scaling, you have to be getting decent marks across the board, not just in a few subjects. So really work on the ones that your getting below 80 in, as i said before, aim for mid 80's in everything and you really should be looking at an 85 ATAR.

Paradox.101

HSC
Maybe your school just marks hard. What are your current rankings?
In some cases, we have some typical 'old school' HSC markers, and mark you DOWN for simple mistakes, whilst fairly lenient markers. But in my case, I've been robbed several times for certain subjects due to the extremely hard marking, while another class received a 'prejudiced' mark for the same exam, and topped us - the top class.

No doubt English is one of my stronger subjects, and I'm currently in the top 10, across the year (Its been changed since our last exam, so I'm not sure yet)

Top 20, for General Math

Top 5 for Visual Arts and Modern History

4/40 for IPT

While considerably 'high' for both SOR and Business Studies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)