Do the teachers in your school understnad the HSC system? (1 Viewer)

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Do the teachers in your school know about the processes used in the HSC (aligning, scaling and moderating)? I'm just wondering because the teachers in my school have very awkward interpretations of the system. There's a teacher who thinks that they get to see your raw mark. There's another one who says that schools located in low socio-economic regions have their HSC results decreased so they don't beat any of the selective school kids. There's also one who goes around saying that a lot of low Band 1 results can decrease the high Band 6 results even if the Band 6 kids are ranked first internally.

Their comments are very misleading and if it wasn't for boredofstudies then I would have no hope for getting into my desired course.

kcqn93

HSC
The teachers at my school say that scaling is a myth.... :mad1:

Tofuu

HSC
i think there might be a few of those in my school
but then again, some teachers understand the HSC, and its usually the ones who were previously year advisers

muzeikchun852

HSC
Do the teachers in your school know about the processes used in the HSC (aligning, scaling and moderating)?
i think my teachers know, but wont really say the truth because they still want ppl to do the low scaling subject.

There's a teacher who thinks that they get to see your raw mark.
no one can see ur raw mark except u, maybe they can do it when it is still UAI-era, but ATAR has privacy on it so that the school wont know either ur raw mark or ur ATAR, according to my maths teacher.

There's another one who says that schools located in low socio-economic regions have their HSC results decreased so they don't beat any of the selective school kids.
incorrect. my school is a 300+ rank school, but ppl still able to get 99.2 last year.

There's also one who goes around saying that a lot of low Band 1 results can decrease the high Band 6 results even if the Band 6 kids are ranked first internally.
im not sure this one, but it will happen in some situation. for example, ur internal mark is 99, which ranked first. but the second highest mark is 70, u internal mark will be effect in some way.

0bs3n3

HSC
The teachers at my school say that scaling is a myth.... :mad1:
LOL. My Careers Advisor repeated that about a million times in year 10.

Our teachers had some information session with some people from UAC (I think), and seem to understand it fairly well.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
i think my teachers know, but wont really say the truth because they still want ppl to do the low scaling subject.

no one can see ur raw mark except u, maybe they can do it when it is still UAI-era, but ATAR has privacy on it so that the school wont know either ur raw mark or ur ATAR, according to my maths teacher.

incorrect. my school is a 300+ rank school, but ppl still able to get 99.2 last year.

im not sure this one, but it will happen in some situation. for example, ur internal mark is 99, which ranked first. but the second highest mark is 70, u internal mark will be effect in some way.
Actually your internal mark will only be affected based on your cohort's performance in the external exam. If your internal mark is 99 and that's the top mark and the top external exam mark is 70 then your internal mark will be moderated to 70.

Sammy2011

HSC
My teachers continued to repeat that 'scaling is a myth' and that we can get any ATAR we want because the results from the other students in our year won't drag us down...

My school is ranked 500+

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
My teachers continued to repeat that 'scaling is a myth' and that we can get any ATAR we want because the results from the other students in our year won't drag us down...

My school is ranked 500+
I don't understand why so many teachers (especially in the low ranked schools) don't understand the system. Seriously didn't the Board of Studies NSW notify them about how it works?

HSC
Uni Grad
At my school, the Art, PDHPE, Japanese and General Maths teachers say that scaling is a myth. The Science and higher Maths teachers disagree.

Sammy2011

HSC
I don't understand why so many teachers (especially in the low ranked schools) don't understand the system. Seriously didn't the Board of Studies NSW notify them about how it works?
I ask myself that question every day.
The only way I know its rank is by the percentage of Distinguished achievers in the 2008 HSC by percentage. Though this isn't really fair, because my school has over 1,000 students so of course we are going to have a lower percentage.

I understand that my cohort will drag me down unless I am ranked 1st internally. Luckily, I plan on doing just that.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
I ask myself that question every day.
The only way I know its rank is by the percentage of Distinguished achievers in the 2008 HSC by percentage. Though this isn't really fair, because my school has over 1,000 students so of course we are going to have a lower percentage.

I understand that my cohort will drag me down unless I am ranked 1st internally. Luckily, I plan on doing just that.
Good luck

ilikebeeef

HSC
I don't understand why so many teachers (especially in the low ranked schools) don't understand the system.
It's because some teachers just aren't that interested in the education system and just perceive it to be a crappy source of pay which they use to pay their mortgages.

Seriously didn't the Board of Studies NSW notify them about how it works?
Probably not.

ilikebeeef

HSC
Do the teachers in your school know about the processes used in the HSC (aligning, scaling and moderating)? I'm just wondering because the teachers in my school have very awkward interpretations of the system. There's a teacher who thinks that they get to see your raw mark. There's another one who says that schools located in low socio-economic regions have their HSC results decreased so they don't beat any of the selective school kids. There's also one who goes around saying that a lot of low Band 1 results can decrease the high Band 6 results even if the Band 6 kids are ranked first internally.

Their comments are very misleading and if it wasn't for boredofstudies then I would have no hope for getting into my desired course.
Scaling and aligning etc doesn't even get mentioned at my school except for once by a former head English teacher because someone asked him "why is English Advanced compulsory".

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)