Do the teachers in your school understnad the HSC system? (1 Viewer)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Teachers in my school know about it, they even tell us about it if we can successfully distract them from their lectures >.>

But, most students have no idea, and think that you need to get 99 in each subject to get 98+ ATAR.........

Also, our teachers dont really tell us everything about the system, even tho they know it.

ilikebeeef

HSC
Teachers in my school know about it, they even tell us about it if we can successfully distract them from their lectures >.>

But, most students have no idea, and think that you need to get 99 in each subject to get 98+ ATAR.........

Also, our teachers dont really tell us everything about the system, even tho they know it.
That's actually true. The Board of Studies is so vague/secretive that you get all these misconceptions around. Only well-researched people would know.

twistedrebel

HSC
most have no idea, aligning is never mentioned, everyones is like "scaling"

K

Kozak92

These teachers shouldn't be teachers, anyway.
Thats a rather big claim. They probably do understand the system but would prefer not talking about it because its only going to confuse students to choose subjects that scale high instead of subjects they actually want to do.

brunx

HSC
no one can see ur raw mark except u, maybe they can do it when it is still UAI-era, but ATAR has privacy on it so that the school wont know either ur raw mark or ur ATAR, according to my maths teacher.
i also believed the atar was confidential, is this absolutely true? i was surprised when my school rang me up and said "we know your atar is 92.45 we are going to publish it in our newsletter if thats ok."
i said yes because i dont care but i was left wondering as to how they obtained it...

Kanane

HSC
N/A
My teachers tell me scaling doesn't matter in an attempt to not discourage us from choosing subjects based on passion over scaling. Either that, or they are ill-informed.

K

Kozak92

i also believed the atar was confidential, is this absolutely true? i was surprised when my school rang me up and said "we know your atar is 92.45 we are going to publish it in our newsletter if thats ok."
i said yes because i dont care but i was left wondering as to how they obtained it...
Woah that is odd.

kyokaku92

HSC
I interpret scaling as a "fear-mongering" exercise trying to scare people into doing high scaling subjects just so they get into their uni course. I'm confident teachers at my school know the system very well. My school is ranked in the 30s and they discourage a lot of people from doing high scaling subjects like 4U maths....

HSC
Uni Grad
My teachers tell me scaling doesn't matter in an attempt to not discourage us from choosing subjects based on passion over scaling. Either that, or they are ill-informed.
I promote this action.

HSC
These teachers shouldn't be teachers, anyway.
Thats a rather big claim. They probably do understand the system but would prefer not talking about it because its only going to confuse students to choose subjects that scale high instead of subjects they actually want to do.
I see your point Sadiah (and perhaps you have greater ability to say this since you're planning to be a teacher - good on you! :) ) but I'd have to partly agree with Kozak92. I can't vouch for the maths skills of all my high school teachers, but I'm sure some of them didn't really get scaling but were very good teachers nonethless :p And some of them would get it but probably think its effect is way too exaggerated.

It is confidential. Your school couldn't have gotten it since UAC runs it, not Board of Studies. Your teachers would only have gotten the HSC marks of each student in each class. They must've gotten it off someone else. Our teachers tried to get our marks by having a free BBQ on ATAR Day and passing around pieces of paper with our names on it so we'd write our ATARs lol :p

Edit: Also I agree with Phoenix Fury generally you shouldn't be dissuaded from a subject based on scaling...unless it's something like a TAFE course that isn't Accounting that you're planning to actually include in your 10 counted units 'cause most of those actually do scale really really badly.

Last edited:

0bs3n3

HSC
Wait so is it better for the rest of your class to fail and you are first (so solely your marks) or tough competition and a struggle to stay in say top 5-10?

You guys were asked to email your HSC mark to the careers advisor?

What if people lied? =)
Then they'd get Dux lol

Last edited:

Sadiah

HSC
That's not fair. =)

But, why would students [of that school] be required to email their HSC marks to their careers advisors, when [I think] schools are aware of the HSC marks anyway?

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
My teachers are pretty vague about ATAR. Some of the things I've heard are,

"if you have a cohort that does well at end of year exams, your external marks will be boosted up"
"scaling doesn't matter"
"it's almost impossible to get band 6 in 2 unit mathematics"
"it's impossible to get band 6 in standard english"

and this one, "there's no point getting the best mark in external exams because if you get the best mark, the highest internally ranked person of your cohort will get your external mark".

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
The ones that need to - yes
Most other teachers - have a good clue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)