Does General scale really badly? (1 Viewer)

dumbrat

HSC
I just dropped from mathematics(2 unit) to general, atm general is really easy.
im hoping to get over 87 in general, will it scale me down alot because its only general compared to mathematics cause i know there is a huge difference between the courses

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Well your typical General Maths buddy is low quality HSC student and altogether drag down most of the class.
The ones that aren't affected are of course the ones who actually get insanely high marks as this person said:

no subject scales down when you do significantly well
bye.
This is the truth.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Actaually even if you get 100 aligned in General Maths it scales down to 91. So yes it scales terribly.

VistaSoldier

HSC
I'm in Year 8 so I don't know too much about this stuff.
But My Maths Teacher was talking about why James Ruse does not do General Maths and why we do 2U/3U/4U.
She was saying how General Maths was scaled down.
Apparantly, Yes, it is scaled down a notch.
But, No, it is not neccesarily a bad choice.
If you do not understand too much about 2U then choosing General may be better for you.
A good mark in General beats a horrible mark in 2U I guess.

Then again Im just Yr 8.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
It's not just scaled down a notch. 99% of subjects are scaled down, General's capped at 91 and scales down absolutely terribly. 2U Maths scales bad as well, but nowhere near as bad. It's much better. James Ruse don't offer anything that scales terribly. General Maths is one of those things that does.

Also if you get Band 6 in it doesn't mean it doesn't scale badly. READ MY POST IT IS CAPPED AT 91 MEANING IF YOU GET 100 IT SCALES TO 91 AND THATS THE BEST IT SCALES. -9 MARKS AFTER SCALING EVEN YEAR 7 CAN SEE THAT. 87 in General scales to 70. Disgusting.

chyeah

HSC
I got 95 for General Maths for my HSC, last year in 2008. I did fine. Just work hard. It's better doing General Maths and doing well, then doing Mathematics and getting a shit of a mark.

I Study Hard

HSC
Well, its obviously not going to scale as well as 2U seeing as its so much easier to do well in, but i don't think its as bad as alot of people are making it out to be. Personally i'm glad i dropped to Gen Maths. My 90% assessment average beats the 10% average i had in 2U =/ Hope i get a band 6 in HSC >.<

morethanaman

HSC
It's not just scaled down a notch. 99% of subjects are scaled down, General's capped at 91 and scales down absolutely terribly. 2U Maths scales bad as well, but nowhere near as bad. It's much better. James Ruse don't offer anything that scales terribly. General Maths is one of those things that does.

Also if you get Band 6 in it doesn't mean it doesn't scale badly. READ MY POST IT IS CAPPED AT 91 MEANING IF YOU GET 100 IT SCALES TO 91 AND THATS THE BEST IT SCALES. -9 MARKS AFTER SCALING EVEN YEAR 7 CAN SEE THAT. 87 in General scales to 70. Disgusting.

i dont mean to be rude, but how can chyeah get a 95 for GMAT if its capped at 91?

Dumbledore

HSC
i dont mean to be rude, but how can chyeah get a 95 for GMAT if its capped at 91?
95 is the aligned mark

hes saying 100(aligned) scales to 91(aggregate)
its the aggregate marks that get added and determine the ATAR

it goes from raw-->external + internal-->aligned-->aggregate

greengoop

HSC
are you intellectually lacking? I clearly know more than you yr 9 kid.

You don't clearly know anything about alinging/scaling procedure that takes place.

Have a nice look at scaling report (esp 2008 one). about 45% of 2 unit students got over 80 aligned mark compared with about 5% of general students who got over 90.

80 in maths doesn't mean 80% in the paper rather you only need like 70/120 or thereabout to get that mark whereas in general, you might need like mid 80 to high 80 raw to get 90 aligned in general.

So it's not necessarily easier to get 90 in general you sped. If that's the case, most people only doing 2 unit would have transferred to general. And from what you are saying, topping general will give you good scaled mark. No it fucking doesn't. scaled mark about 45/50 is poor. About 5% of 2 unit students = 900 people get that mark and over whereas only one person in general or (top 5) get that mark or thereabout.

So if you are good at maths, and if you do general, you are the most retarded guy out there. But it won't apply to you because you are obviously quite shit at maths.

BTW most band 6s in general = shit scaled.

The next time you call me bullshit, back it up with some official stats. Whose post looks more reliable here: your arrogant post against my post backed up with some official data?

Please post some quality posts with some quality info. Don't brag about your lack of knowledge.
That statistics are somewhat irrelevant when you are talking about general maths. Remember the kind of people that do general maths tend to be not particularly academic which explains why they get such bad marks. This can be good for a person who does general and applies themselves and acheives good results. I do general maths and I can tell you that it is very easy if you apply yourself. Use any UAI calculator you like (im aware they have changed to ATAR but its roughly the same) and change the subject to general from 2 unit and your uai goes down about 1-2 uai points. That is nothing considering that you will easily get 95+ in general whereas it is much harder to get 95+ in 2 unit. Mathematics is for people doing extension maths and people who need it as a prerequisite for university. If your not doing very well at mathematics in year 11 (80% or below average) I strongly suggest you drop to general to maximise your ATAR score.

grants

HSC
hi well for one, i dont agree with using names to bully eachother on the internet...cyberbullying is actually a crime.
Also for the comment "if you're good at maths and you do general you're a tard"
well for one you're just weird for using the word tard
and two, my brother was smart at maths, and did general maths, and got 90% in the overall general maths score....his U.A.I, including general maths was 98.85.
So clearly this shows, that you can do general maths and go extremely well. It just depends on how much effort you put into it.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
General Maths is cute ^_^...

Doesn't scale too well though :( If any is capable of taking Mathematics, it's a much more captivating course and aligns and scales better.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
95 is the aligned mark

hes saying 100(aligned) scales to 91(aggregate)
its the aggregate marks that get added and determine the ATAR

it goes from raw-->external + internal-->aligned-->aggregate
annabackwards said:
Nup.
You kinda just mixed both external and internal from raw marks, which doesn't make sense.
Raw external
Raw internal -> Moderation based on external marks

Raw external + Moderated internal -> Aligned
Raw external + Moderated internal -> Scaled
Ie. they are completely separate processes dealt with by different bodies (Board of Studies vs UAC)

But yeah if you pick General Maths, you deserve to be punished with the low scaling. Just don't choose it at all.

Also, LOL @ aquawhite saying it's cute :rofl:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)