Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
4unitfreak said:
To have sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll.

I'm an atheist, so to me, no, God doesn't exist. I find the concept of an invisible man living in the sky hard to grasp.
thats the point to ur life?

justmeme

HSC
N/A
4unitfreak said:
To have sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll.

I'm an atheist, so to me, no, God doesn't exist. I find the concept of an invisible man living in the sky hard to grasp.
but what makes you say he is invisible.
you cant see me, so i must be invisible.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
hollyy. said:
if god doesn't exist, what is the point of life?
personally im a believer
we make our own meaning and our own purpose

and that is absolutely liberating to me.

EDIT: To me, I can't help but be slightly offended by religious people who feel as though atheists walk around like empty shells, indulge in mindless excess or engage with others around them without any meaning, sexual or non-sexual.

Last edited:

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
hollyy. said:
personally im a believer
If god exists, what is the point of life? Some giant test to get into heaven? Christians don't live their lives as if it is, they live their lives seeking the same day to day pleasures that I do... We all create our own meaning, to deny it seems to fly in the face of all the observable evidence.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Exactly. They are also fucking terrified of death. Because most of them don't fully believe, they just hope.
Haha yeah, it would be interesting to see studies on who actually is more terrified of death (though obviously the methodology will be flawed), I would guess that people involved in a religion that is in many ways a "death cult" (constantly it talks about death, don't deny it) might be the ones more actively scared than those who can live their lives, functioning normally, without the need for some afterlife belief system to console their grievances.

miegoreng

HSC
Enteebee said:
If god exists, what is the point of life? Some giant test to get into heaven? Christians don't live their lives as if it is, they live their lives seeking the same day to day pleasures that I do... We all create our own meaning, to deny it seems to fly in the face of all the observable evidence.
If there is no afterlife, all we do here is completely useless as in the end, we we become nothing and all our experiences will dissapear along with us. So we might other peoples lives good but they too in turn will die. If there is no afterlife, there is no ultimate purpose in life. Get rich to eventually buy a coffin. That's all there is in the end if there is no afterlife.
That doesn't really matter to me as I'll just live a good life and see what happens in the end. If there's no heaven then too bad but what can I do about it?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
miegoreng said:
If there is no afterlife, all we do here is completely useless as in the end, we we become nothing and all our experiences will dissapear along with us. So we might other peoples lives good but they too in turn will die. If there is no afterlife, there is no ultimate purpose in life. Get rich to eventually buy a coffin. That's all there is in the end if there is no afterlife.
That doesn't really matter to me as I'll just live a good life and see what happens in the end. If there's no heaven then too bad but what can I do about it?
You never do completely useless things? Even if there is an afterlife, if you build a snowman... fact is that it's going to melt away, but it was fun to build right? At the time you were having a good time... It doesn't matter even if later on you can't remember doing it, at the time, you were having fun - And that's all we really need.

your.knee

i'm lizzing
HSC
^
Exactly.
No use crying over spilt milk. Lap it up instead.

oh and another reason to live is to procreate. can't forget that minor detail...

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
miegoreng said:
That's right

So what if you don't like it? It doesn't make it any less true :D

hollyy. said:
There isn't one, it's completely meaningless. Again, so what?

What is the meaning and point of the life of one of the 100000000000000 bacteria (not an exaggeration, that's the correct number of zeros) currently living inside YOUR gut, with a lifetime of about 3 hours each?

Their lives aren't any more or less meaningful than ours, except in the way NTB described above (since we have intelligence).

Last edited:

pinkyforce7

HSC
If God doesn't exist, there is still ways of achieving a 'lesser' immortality. Get famous, do something people remember. Then people will remember you. I wonder how many religions were created because someone wanted to be known as a prophet or some kind of God? see if Jesus wasn't the real deal and he was just a hoax, he got himself a good deal. people 2000 years later are still talking about him and praying to him. lol even if he is dead

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I don't give a frak about hell or eternity or oblivion, but I sure am scared of dying before I get to see humans conquer the moon.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
If you're not completely comfortable witht he concept of death and eventually ceasing to exist then you really need to examine your life.
Completely comfortable? No... I'd like to be able to continue living. If you're completely comfortable with the concept of death I think it's you who has the problem, naturally we'll fear death, just like we feel hungry - It's built into us.

The concept of eternal life and an afterlife terrifies me and sickens me more than any notion that I will eventually stop living.
If you were told you're going to die in 3 days would you still be so gung-ho? I think there are potentially happy and potentially unhappy eternities, if you can't imagine the possibility that you could have an eternally happy life (obviously in some fantasy world where we can do whatever we want) then I just don't think you're being creative enough about it.

pinkyforce7

HSC
Schroedinger said:
Whether you think there is no meaning to life without god, or not, it doesn't change the fact that there almost certainly is not a god.
as stated by enteebee in the last 5 pages or so. pretty much there is no conclusive evidense for or against there being a God, that being the same with scientific theories that try to explain the existance of the universe.

your statement has no evidense

pinkyforce7

HSC
Schroedinger said:
Then you reach the exact opposite of the argument made by that other woman. That if time is limited and there's no afterlife then what we do means nothing.

If we have unlimited time then our actions are also rendered to nothing. Because none of them stand out.
so, as long as there is time, our actions mean nothing?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
pinkyforce7 said:
so, as long as there is time, our actions mean nothing?
No shit.

It's called "making your own meaning".

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
I'm perfectly able to understand and accept the concept that after death that's it and it doesn't worry me in any way.
Ok... so you're diagnosed with cancer, you don't care? You wouldn't rather continue living? Surely you love your life, to me if you love something... you fear losing it (though you may accept this as reality to keep moving on).

Then you reach the exact opposite of the argument made by that other woman. That if time is limited and there's no afterlife then what we do means nothing.

If we have unlimited time then our actions are also rendered to nothing. Because none of them stand out.
I dunno about the argument you just made but I don't particularly care about the whole 'meaning' thing, I think we can live constructing our own meaning... For the most part we do very repetitive things on a day to day basis with no problem, sure we get bored sometimes but other times we get excited over the same thing (much of this being in our mind), we forget experiences we already have had and they feel 'new' (ever listened to an old song that you once got tired of, heard it again and gone 'man that's still good!')... So I really have no problem with the concept of eternal life, except obviously there are some conceptions of it that would be torturous.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
as stated by enteebee in the last 5 pages or so. pretty much there is no conclusive evidense for or against there being a God, that being the same with scientific theories that try to explain the existance of the universe.
I think you've misunderstood my position so I'll state it as radically as I can. It's my belief that one of the best "truths" we can hold is that God does not exist. If we waver on that position, we then waver on the validity of everything else we claim to know (because obviously a God could change the reality of all those things without our knowing/being able to observe), which of course is true in a philosophical sense (I'm not 100% sure that the earth rotates around the sun), but if we're going to hold that we believe anything to be true (and for practicality's sake... yes we do believe things are definately true in some sense) then we must also believe God does not exist in that same sense.

pinkyforce7

HSC
Enteebee said:
I think you've misunderstood my position so I'll state it as radically as I can. It's my belief that one of the best "truths" we can hold is that God does not exist. If we waver on that position, we then waver on the validity of everything else we claim to know (because obviously a God could change the reality of all those things without our knowing/being able to observe), which of course is true in a philosophical sense (I'm not 100% sure that the earth rotates around the sun), but if we're going to hold that we believe anything to be true (and for practicality's sake... yes we do believe things are definately true in some sense) then we must also believe God does not exist in that same sense.
... i'm not convinced. two ideas can co-exist.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Do you think the theory of flight is true? uhuh well if you also believe God is true you have necessarily (as a virtue of God's abilities) just called into question the theory of flight (maybe God did it! God is just as much a truth as air currents, right?)... God can't exist in the practical philosophical realm where we hold things to be true, he can only exist when we set our minds to thinking of things in a much less practical but true philosophically way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)